• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Resource NicoNico Terminology Guide (Slang, tags, and other stuff you'll want to know)

Sep 21, 2019
To those of us who don't speak fluent Japanese, or even to those who do, NicoNico terminology may seem kind of confusing, If you've used the site before, you've probably run across some things that you don't quite understand what it means. Sure, Nico has an English guide to some of the terms (which is no longer available for some reason, orz), but what about some of these tags you've seen on your video?? Well, now you're in luck because this guide will explain a lot of the things you need to know!

I'll be updating this as I learn more terms that are used on NND!

888 - 8 is read as "hachi" (no, not the Vocaloid producer) and is used to mean clapping because "hachi" sounds like the onomatopoeia for clapping in Japanese which is "pachi pachi".

wktk - short for wakuteka which means something along the lines of getting or feeling excited. (So if something in an NND video seems like it'll be exciting, you can comment "wktk" to show that you're excited.)

いちコメ - literally just means “first”; even the people on Nico like to announce they’re first comment. :clara_ani_lili:

うぽつ or うぽつです - has no direct translation, but means something along the lines of "thank you for uploading this" (it's a compliment; they liked the video).

GJ - short for "good job".

www - the Japanese equivalent to the English "lol". The "w" comes from the "w" in the Japanese word "warau" which is the onomatopoeia for laughing. More "w"s = more laughing

草 - another way to say "lol" in Japanese. Translates to grass because lots of "wwww"s look like grass.

良調教 - a tag added to your video that means "good training" (or rather, "tuning", as we call it). This one is self-explanatory, I think.

MMD海外組 - a tag that can be translated to "overseas MMD(er)". They figured out that you're from overseas (or so they think! dun dun dun)

もっと評価されるべき - can be translated to "needs more attention". The denizens of NND think that your video deserves more attention!!

音源 - sound source (refers to a voicebank) (usually used for UTAU voicebanks)

データベース - (Just database written in katakana) usually used by big companies (i.e. CFM, Yamaha) to refer to a voicebank

音源 - this should be used to credit tuning (tuning: x = 音源: x)

この曲は何度聴いても飽きない / I don't get tired of this song no matter how many times I listen to it

この曲にハマっている / I'm addicted to this song

Feel free to add things as this guide is a work in progress!

Last edited:

___

Oct 8, 2019
うぽつ or うぽつです - has no direct translation, but means something along the lines of "thank you for uploading this" (it's a compliment; they liked the video).
良調教 - good training (or rather, tuning, as we call it). This one is self-explanatory, I think.
もっと評価されるべき - can be translated to "needs more attention". The denizens of NND think that your video deserves more attention!!
THANK YOU, now I can finally compliment my favorite content creators!! :D

Would it be okay to ask here for general "voice-synth terminology" used in the japanese side?Like the difference between our terminology and theirs? It's something I've been meaning to ask about here :luka_move:

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
Sep 21, 2019
Would it be okay to ask here for general "voice-synth terminology" used in the japanese side?
Absolutely!!
Also, I should have added that "良調教" and "もっと評価されるべき" are typically used as tags (since anyone can add tags to your video on Nico), but you could probably use them in comments, too!
(Time to go update the resource already, lol.)

Reactions: ___

___

Oct 8, 2019
What is "voicebank" called in the japanese? Is it a direct translation of "voicebank" or do they have slightly different term? Same goes for tuning, I know you mentioned 良調教 but what would I use in a case where I'd be crediting someoen like "tuning: X". Thank you!

Sep 21, 2019
What is "voicebank" called in the japanese? Is it a direct translation of "voicebank" or do they have slightly different term? Same goes for tuning, I know you mentioned 良調教 but what would I use in a case where I'd be crediting someoen like "tuning: X". Thank you!
I think for voicebanks, they refer to it as a "sound source" which would be "音源" (romaji: ongen).
Also when crediting someone for tuning, I think they use "調声".

___

Oct 8, 2019
I think for voicebanks, they refer to it as a "sound source" which would be "音源" (romaji: ongen).
Also when crediting someone for tuning, I think they use "調声".
Oh yeah! Thats usually how google translate translates it but Im not too keen on trusting its translations so I wanted to make sure fgghj Thank you again!

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Another word for voice banks is DB or データベース (data base). I think that things like UTAUs use 音源 more often compared to big companies like Crypton that tend to use データベース.

Edit: Another word for lol is 草 (means grass, because lots of wwwwwww looks like grass).

Sep 21, 2019
Another word for voice banks is DB or データベース (data base). I think that things like UTAUs use 音源 more often compared to big companies like Crypton that tend to use データベース.

Edit: Another word for lol is 草 (means grass, because lots of wwwwwww looks like grass).
Thank you, Uncreepy!
(I saw 草 a long time ago and could never figure out why someone was talking about grass, but now everything makes sense, lol.)

• Haha
Reactions: ___ and uncreepy
Sep 21, 2019
I see it credited as "mix" but take this with a grain of salt from me :teto_lili:
Thank you! That sounds about right!
---
New question: does anyone know what the term is for "print" like a publication of a video on a website that's not a "reprint"? It's slipping my mind right now?

Sep 21, 2019
Question: when trying to tell someone that you can't stop listening to their song (i.e I can't stop listening to this!) what would you say? There's a new Tei original I like and I'd love to tell them how much I like their song.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
この曲は何度聴いても飽きない / I don't get tired of this song no matter how many times I listen to it
この曲にハマっている / I'm addicted to this song

• Love

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)