• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Questions about V5

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
So lately I've been hearing a lot of controversy about V5 on a lot of things. Most people I hear from say that it's the worst engine to work with while others are saying how it works just fine for them. I'm planning to get V5 myself, but I need to do some research and see for myself to see what it's really like.

It would be a great help if you all could answer these questions I have if you own V5 and have used it:

1. Do you frequently use V5?
2. Have you ever experienced any stability issues while using it?
3. If you experienced any bugs, how difficult is it for you to get anything done?
4. Do you find the changes and new additions in V5 to be useful? Why or why not?
5. Any other notes and comments that would help my research?

Reactions: kozet

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
1. Do you frequently use V5?
Yes. I probably would exclusively use it, but unlike previous versions of the Editor, V5 does not label the piano roll (except for the Cs). In older versions, you can hover over notes and it tells you all notes. Because reading the piano vertically is difficult/confusing for me, I usually start projects in V4 and finish them in V5.

Also, V5 takes longer to boot up, so if I'm in a hurry, I use V4.

Another reason I like V5 is because it can be used as a VST in a DAW. The older versions of Vocaloid Editor can only be used outside of a DAW, so you have to import the wav file after you're finished. So I guess V5 is more for people trying to make original music and who want to edit the singing and music at the same time for their workflow.

2 / 3. Have you ever experienced any stability issues while using it? / Bugs
Some people have problems with it crashing while working. Every change you make, it re-renders the entire track (basically looks like there's a vertical loading bar on the entire track, while it's filling up, you can not do anything to the song until it's finished). I highly recommend using the knife tool to cut your track into small sections so the re-rendering time is cut down to a few seconds instead of waiting for an uncomfortable amount of time.

The only problem that I've experienced is problems with downloading trials. With Hime/Mikoto Meika and Haruno Sora, people (including me) would download the trial, but they would not sing (literally no sound came out of them, even though other Vocaloids in V5 worked). For most people, they randomly start singing the next day. < This problem seriously made me angry (it's related to license activation, even though trails have no license).

4. Do you find the changes and new additions in V5 to be useful? Why or why not?
The main additions to V5 are premade singing you can add it (like them saying "Yeah!" or like... "Baby don't go" or something like that. These are completely useless and I don't know anyone who uses them. AND they have huge file sizes.

Another addition is Styles. Some of them are cool, like making them sing robotic or echoey, you can even create and save your own. These are very fun to mess with and I love them.

There is a really tiny + sign in the left bottom corner you can click in order to do tuning like in previous Editors (like editing DYN and VEL). The Attack and Release styles are kind of interesting, but the dial is always turned up too high (it's in the middle by default, but you have to turn it down to 1 or 2 notches).

5. Any other notes and comments that would help my research?
Even though Yamaha quit selling V4, you can get it from Internet Co. (they bought all the remaining ones and are selling them in starter bundles). So if you like Gumi, Gackpo, and their other Vocaloids but aren't sure about getting V5, you can consider this option.

Another way to avoid V5 is to get a Crypton Vocaloid that is V4, because they come with Piapro (their version of Vocaloid Editor) and the Artist version of Studio One (so that you can try to make original background music).

If you have not used any vocal synths before, consider trying out Synthesizer V's free demo (the trial never runs out and the way to tune is extremely similar to Vocaloid, except the parameters are named differently).

Lastly, another reason people are put off by Vocaloid 5 is that it is very expensive to get started. When V4 was out, you just had to buy a Vocaloid and Vocaloid Editor 4. But in order to start using V5, you HAVE to get the V5 starter Vocaloids (Amy, Chris, Kaori, Ken)-- which is $225. So if you hated all 4 of those Vocaloids and wanted to buy Mikoto Meika, you would pay $225 + $90 to get her. If you buy a V4 Vocaloid that comes with Vocaloid 4 Editor, it usually costs around $150+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)