• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Question Recording Piano Sound with a Computer?

Sep 21, 2019
I've been trying to record an electric piano using my computer (Macbook) with... unsatisfactory results... I've tried with a USB mic, as well as a phone video camera, but both results obtain a lot of background noise. (Of course, this is a given considering I don't have a proper recording space nor proper recording software.) I've already tried googling it, but came back with very mixed results... some say you need an audio interface, others say you just need an audio input/output cord with three rings instead of two, etc.. :gackpo_ani_lili:

So, I thought I might ask here and get some other input.

Just for clarity, I'm not looking to use the piano as an midi controller because I'd like to record the actual piano's sounds. ^^

razelberii

Bless the Lord, O my Soul
Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
Although some options may involve using an improved mic or interface or the like, there is another option, and that is removing the background noise.

I record things through a USB mic and accept it's not the greatest haha, but thanks to programs like Adobe Audition or Audacity, I can remove the background noise and get a better result.

Now, I know if you want a better result than that, you may need a high quality mic, record in a room with padded words, etc, but hopefully this option of removing background noise can still be helpful!
In fact, Audacity is a free open source program. It should work on both Windows and Mac. You can record on there and edit the file from there
There should be tutorials online for the sort of thing, but if you need any help, you can let me know!

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Can you please 1) tell us either what type of piano you have, 2) tell us what types of holes you can plug cords into?

Check out this timed stamped video:

If your keyboard has a USB (MIDI) slot, all you need is a cord like this
And you can plug it into your computer, use it in your DAW and it's easy peasy. (Preferred because you can switch instruments to be things like an organ, a guitar, drums, etc.)

If you have an Output jack, then you need an audio interface, which refers to something like this
For the Behringer, "Mic/Line 1"= for a dynamix/cardioid mic (so probably ignore, you would want to use this to record singing or an instrument like a guitar that can't be plugged in, but I suppose you COULD put it next to the piano as a last resort),
"Inst(rument) 2" = you would plug your piano in to this hole using a cord like this
This is how you would record a .wav

You can also apparently use the headphone jack to record audio if there are none of these options.

Overcast Immortal

Budding producer
Dec 4, 2018
USA
www.youtube.com
If your keyboard has an audio out port (and it probably has a 1/8" or 1/4" jack), I recommend relying on that, since it will have the least noise unless you have an excellent microphone and recording space. Plug the audio output into your computer and open Garageband, then set a noise gate. I say Garageband because it's free on Mac and you probably have it installed by default, but any other DAW should work too. Once the noise gate is set, it removes sounds below a certain volume threshold. I use it all the time to eliminate noise from my guitar.

Depending on the output volume of the keyboard, you might end up with clipping, which is where the signal is too loud to be properly contained, and can sound crackly. Reduce the output volume on the keyboard. If that doesn't work, then reduce the volume in Garageband and send that signal to a noise gate.

If you need more in-depth info on how to achieve this, you can search for how to plug an electric guitar into Garageband. Most of the info does not depend on it actually being a guitar.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
You can also apparently use the headphone jack to record audio if there are none of these options.
Yup. Assuming your keyboard has a headphone jack, connecting it to the Aux In port on the PC (often a blue-colored port, I think) should work. Connecting it to the microphone jack (often colored pink) would probably work, too--though it might be a little riskier since that port wasn't specifically made for that purpose.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
Sep 21, 2019
2) tell us what types of holes you can plug cords into?
I think all the piano has is a headphone jack, but I'll check again and update this thread! Also, thank you so much for those useful links!

Also, thank you everyone for all your help and input! I certainly found your information very helpful, and I'm sure this information will be helpful to others who are trying to do the same thing as me! :kaito_move:

Reactions: mobius017

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)