• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Responses Needed: Revised Survey on Naturalness in Vocaloid Songs

Feb 14, 2024
Hello, I am an AP Research student and will be using this survey as part of my data. Anyone interested in completing this survey will be asked to listen to a series of clips taken from Vocaloid songs and rate them based on the naturalness of their vocal tracks.

Explanations of what “natural” means in this context are included in the form. The survey takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.

Any responses you can give would be greatly appreciated! Other feedback is also appreciated, but understand that I will unlikely be able to respond to any comments at this time.

nene

OSTER project fan!!!
Oct 13, 2023
Let me know if this is unwarranted advice!!

I might suggest, if you conduct/revise this survey again in the future, also finding original songs that are attempting to go for a 'realistic' style?

I didn't submit the last surveys because I felt like my responses would be the same across all of the songs.

For this survey, I feel it similarly is very limited in the styles (ie. intentionally processed-sounding robotic pop music or intentionally processed-sounding robotic rock music). Using the same few artists also makes it hard to give a variety of answers that aren't 1-3 for most of them.

This aspect of the survey might be intentional, and it's not a bad thing, but in a research project about "naturalness of vocals" it makes it hard to give a variety of answers if you're looking for something that could realistically be given a 5-10 and using mostly 2000s producers/songs, without anyone to contrast like Mitchie M.

I also think perhaps using a spread of 'realistic covers' vs the actual songs could be an alternate avenue? The pool of songs seems built to skew the research results to lower numbers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(#26 also doesn't have permissions set, so i didn't submit yet. )

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024
Hello, thank you for taking a look at the survey! Thank you for pointing out the issue with the permissions, I just changed that now. Unfortunately I don't really have time for a second round of adjustments to the survey but I will say that the songs sounding on the lower end of naturalness is largely just incidental. I wanted to limit the amount of subjective judgements I made with song choices so the songs chosen were done so systemically and somewhat randomly.

nene

OSTER project fan!!!
Oct 13, 2023
No problem! That's fair enough too, I wasn't sure about the timeline of the study. I've done research, but obviously each process is different so apologies if my suggestion wouldn't have worked with the pool of music you had planned to use. I'm sure the results will still reflect variance/subjective opinions anyway!

I hope you're able to get the forms necessary to complete the study! ❤

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)