• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Software/Process for Cleaning MIDI Data?

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Does anyone know of a simple software/method to view/edit MIDI data in one place, or else some way to clean it of any nonessential fields?

Background:
At the moment, I advocate making the MIDI for your vocals in your DAW and then importing that into Piapro/etc. This is because I had an issue once where I made the vocal melody in Piapro--after exporting/importing a MIDI into Studio One to use for the instrumentals, I noticed that the attack on the notes sounded really high. But the attack looked normal in Studio One, and adjusting it there didn't have any effect. I never figured out what the issue was. All I could see was that if I entered the notes into Studio One manually, the notes sounded fine, but the exported MIDI from Piapro sounded off. My assumption is that Piapro probably put something into some MIDI field (MIDI seems to have lots of fields--you can even store lyrics in there, apparently.), and somehow Studio One was interpreting it in some way (other than increased attack) that made the notes abnormally loud/forceful.

However, sometimes it works better to make the vocal in Piapro, where you can hear your synth's voice right away and adjust the MIDI notes to suit it. That's the situation I'm in now.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a horrific task to copy the notes from Piapro manually, but if I can avoid wasting that time/concentration I'd much prefer it.

Ideally, if I could just see every MIDI note and all the MIDI fields it's got crammed into it, and then edit those, that would be great. Or else, something I could run to strip out anything other than stuff like duration, pitch, what time each note is at, and other barebones essential stuff.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to clean midi data in S1.

You could open your musicloop (midi part) in the Arranger (main display to the right of your tracks) to edit it.
Then, look below the midi notes to see the midi controller data. You can add many different types of midi parameters to find the one(s) you want to work with.
Then, you can highlight some, all, one, piece of data and delete.

So you are visually seeing any type of midi data you want for your midi track and then editing each type the way you want.

Is this what you needed?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Mm, so basically drag the MIDI from the right-hand area in Studio One where you get instruments, effects, loops, etc., and then look at the parameters in the area below the main MIDI editing window? I was hoping for some way to look at the MIDI fields all laid out next to each other at once, rather than having to go through a collapsed tree structure of available fields. That would make it easier to find any problematic data. What you mentioned seems like it is the only way to look at MIDI data in Studio One, though. Thank you!

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
On a side note, I listened to the old song again as I was trying out what you suggested for examining the MIDI data. I'm not sure why, but now it doesn't sound nearly as bad to me. I even re-exported the MIDI and added a piano to it, so it should've been just what Piapro gave me raw....

Mm...I don't get it. It was over a year ago. Maybe there was some ear fatigue and perfectionism going on, maybe my headphones were cranked up louder, but...I still sort of hear the high attack, but it doesn't seem as bad. I don't know anything about anything anymore.... orz

A way to inspect MIDI data still seems like a good thing to have. I guess I'll give exporting MIDI from Piapro another chance if I need to, though, because it seems like it may have been me who lost my mind, rather than the software doing something funny....

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
There is a midiMonitor plugins that i use during live performance, very handy.
Use this plugin to watch those unwanted parameter like breath, modulation, aftertouch, etc in the midi data (i assume that you tried to use midi for vocals)

You can also split the view of midi data like in this picture by "Add Automation lane"
cats.jpg
Beside that you need to remove that "unwanted" parameter manually.

or you can send me a midi file, i have cubase 5 they are good at this task. If you wanted to.
(after fix the problem, i will delete it)

Hope this help, If you still struggle. Please let me know.

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Ooh, cool! That midiMonitor plugin looks really promising. I'll bet a lot of people could benefit from using that if they were having weird issues with their MIDI notes. It's free, too!

(I had a look at the kvraudio page for the developer of midiMonitor, and they make a lot of free stuff that looks like it might be useful. Very handy to know!)

Thank you very much for offering to look at the MIDI file, too. That was really nice of you! If I continue to have issues after trying to solve them with midiMonitor, I may take you up on that. Thank you very much!

Reactions: IO+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)