• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

The curious case of bilibili JP utaus?

___

Oct 8, 2019
Apologies if the thread name is kinda dumb, didn't know what else to name it :ring_ani_lili:

I first encountered this with Boomco's japanese voicebank but since then I and @peaches2217 came across more jp utaus who are like this and they all appear to be made by native chinese people or are targeted towards them, we found them all through bilibili. And here's the thing:

Tipically a person would name the wav files in hiragana but that's not the case here:

screenshot1.png

At first I thought "Okay whatever, a chinese person probably has an easier time sorting their recordings like this, it's no big deal, in the end it's the aliases that matter the most." But then inside the engine the voicebank/s won't make any sound and when looking into the voice configurations it's obvious why:

screenshot2.png

The name option has recordings named in hiragana but since the wav files inside the voicebank folder aren't actually named in hiragana UTAU doesn't register them and plays no sound, I know that for sure because when launching editor it won't show anything and when double clicking it won't play the recording back.

And.....I...have so many questions. Is there a more efficient way to make these vociebanks functional besides renaming all the wav files ( which I've tried with few and it works, it's just very time consuming and I'm wondering if someone smarter than me has better ideas :clara_ani_lili: )??? Is it really the norm to put these broken jp utaus up there for download on the chinese side of the community??? I really have hard time believing this, there must be some explanation but I'm truly lost. Just wondering if someone knows more about this than I do.

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz
You might have to extract the zip again in Japanese locale so the file names are interpreted in Shift-JIS instead of whatever Chinese encoding it was extracted in. I shit you not.

___

Oct 8, 2019
You might have to extract the zip again in Japanese locale so the file names are interpreted in Shift-JIS instead of whatever Chinese encoding it was extracted in. I shit you not.
The thing is that UTAU needs the locale changed to japanese to function properly so my computer already is in japanese locale, sorry if I'm missing something! Is there something that I should do differently?

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz
No idea in that case, at least for now. All I'm sure of is that the file names are almost definitely mojibake with the Shift-JIS-encoded names being reinterpreted in some Chinese encoding.

___

Oct 8, 2019
No idea in that case, at least for now. All I'm sure of is that the file names are almost definitely mojibake with the Shift-JIS-encoded names being reinterpreted in some Chinese encoding.
Oh okay! I'm glad to know what the root of the issue at least is! Thank you for the help!

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz
Oh okay! I'm glad to know what the root of the issue at least is! Thank you for the help!
By the way, there's a command-line program called convmv that can batch-re-encode filenames. I'm not sure how hard it'll be to get it working on Windows, though.

• Wow
Reactions: ___
Sep 21, 2019
If it's a file name encoding issue due to locale (since you're in a Japanese locale and the recordings are named in Chinese), you may want to try using bandizip. Idk if it works with Chinese, but I know I had to use it a lot to extract Japanese MMD stuff before I learned I could change my locale.

Reactions: ___

___

Oct 8, 2019
This is due to how the filenames are encoded on Chinese-language systems. If you extract it with a software such as MMDZip then it will recognise that the files were encoded on a Chinese system and will extract them properly in Hiragana. Hope this helps!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!! :ia_ani_lili:

Reactions: xuu and Leon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)