• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Virtual Guitar Recommendations?

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I'm doing some tentative shopping/research--does anyone have any recommendations for virtual guitars (i.e. VSTs, Kontakt instruments)?

Specifically, I'm most interested in acoustic nylon guitars with plenty of sound effects (like fret noise, percussive effects like hitting the guitar body, etc.). And, of course, something that sounds good.

I've seen recommendations for MusicLab (touted for ease of use) and Ample Sound (touted for sound quality). Personally, I have some reservations about Ample, specifically that their file sizes are up around 10 GB for 1 guitar, and that you only seem to get 1 guitar at a time, plus the ease of use thing. (In contrast, I've seen where MusicLab can give you a few guitars in about 5 GB.) But if Ample's sound quality is markedly better, that's a very strong argument, too.

Last edited:

Älfa Dröttning

Aspiring Fan
Sep 17, 2019
Are you looking for free guitars or paid ones? If you don’t mind paid ones, I’ve been eyeing the Evolution Songwriter guitar by Orange Tree Samples: All Products :: Orange Tree Samples
You might also want to check out their Evolution Modern Nylon if you’re specifically looking for nylon strings. The only guitar VST I’ve used is one of Ample Sound’s free ones, but I haven’t used it enough to say anything about them. It’s probably good to keep in mind that a bigger file size means more samples which means there are probably smoother transitions and round robin.

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Honestly, I'd be fine with either free or paid, as long as the paid ones aren't TOO expensive. After all, to get decent stuff, you very often have to pay a reasonable price. I don't really want to exclude any options at this point, so I won't set a particular price range here.

Having had a quick look at the Evolution Modern Nylon, it looks like it might be a good possible choice. I'll include it in my list of options. Thank you!

Reactions: Älfa Dröttning

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
ive been using Musiclab (i have realguitar and realLPC) and i love it- but i also use it in combination with some kind of amp simulation, because that really helps get the sound even more specific. i use guitar rig 5, and i love it. i think its now updated to guitar rig 6 and 5 isnt available? but im still using 5.
i think musiclab has some pretty good options, i like the setup of the vst and with guitarrig i dont think ill need anything more than just those two i own, since the amp helps me get all different kinds of tones!

i cannot say i am the Best at making guitar centered music but ive used it in almost all of my recent original songs and its probably the number one thing i love using because he really does sound good. versus like, the default flstudio guitar vst lol.

also, Spitfire Audio has a number of vst under their LABS series and theres a lot there including some guitar stuff. its all free. ive got every single one installed and theyre lovely. theyre kind of specific but ive found that using the guitar ones with some kind amp or distortion can also change them like they would the other vsts i use.

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@morrysillusion: Nice, thanks for the feedback on Musiclab! As it happens, I have Guitar Rig also (came with a Kontakt bundle), so I'm glad you brought up using it.

Spitfire looks like it has some interesting stuff, too (Even outside of the guitar stuff, if you're looking for sounds that are a little off the beaten path.). Thank you!

Reactions: morrysillusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)