• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

What If the "Character Vocal" Design Framework Never Became a Thing?

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
After a particular discussion, I found myself wondering how things would be different now if the whole idea of the “Character Vocal” series hadn’t become a thing. If vocal synth software was just released as voicebanks with a name and maybe an illustration. If artists using vocal synths never associated a character with their music. They just treated it like any other VST plugin.

Merchandise and concerts wouldn’t be a thing. New voicebanks would probably live and die based on their demo songs. I guess the PVs would be more generalized. Would sharing VSQ files really be a thing like it is?

Many of us today might not even be here talking about vocal synth software at all if Miku hadn't blown the roof off of this niche product and brought it into the public consciousness. Her success really was a perfect storm of circumstances that caught lightning in a bottle.

I think about times when I’ve browsed independent artists on Soundcloud and similar sites. I’ll look up stuff by genre and maybe associated artists. But I honestly never had a clue where to start or how to choose music to listen to. Often clicking on songs based on random thumbnails.

It’s problematic when the characters seem to eclipse the producers. But these characters are just as much of a marketing tool for artists as they are for the companies developing the software. I wonder how many producers would have come up with their own original characters to use for similar purposes? And how many such characters would gain any traction? I could see some adopting a voicebank to be the “voice” of an existing character, like Touhou covers and stuff like that.

I guess it’s sort of like toys and games; whether they’re generic or licensed or develop their own brand identity. Maybe vocal synth developers would just outright license anime or game characters to be the face of their product? Then they’d have to pull the product off the market once the licensing deal ran out.

Who knows, maybe some producers could have built enough of a following to create an equivalent vocal synth subculture to what we have now?

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
If character vocals never existed, I'd have probably still come across vocal synth technology at some point (being the music and tech nerd that I am), but I probably wouldn't have become so invested in the vocal synth fandom like I have done. Miku completely changed the game because she was the first proper "friendly face" to vocal synths (sorry Meiko and Kaito), being conceptualised and sold as a virtual idol in a box. She was also designed in a way that would highly appeal to otaku, meaning that they became the first loyal fanbase for Miku (and they had the spending power to actually buy her V2, unlike the early Western fandom which was made up of kids like me). Old school PVs featuring Miku's avatar also spread like wildfire among Western anime fans, and she became a meme rather than just a cute character.

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
Let me guess...Vocaloid wouldn't be popular? I mean, fans would still be a fan of another vocal synth software, but that's just the way it is :miku2_move:
Would we even have any of the newer vocal synth software if Vocaloid hadn't become popular? If all the voicebanks were just like "standard vocals" (Amy, Chris, Kaori, Ken), VY1/VY2, Cyber Songman/Cyber Diva, etc?

I'm sure speech synthesis and text-to-speech engines were inevitable with stuff like Siri and Alexa and just the general usefulness of such software. But I don't know that so much effort would have been put into singing synthesis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)