• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Wotagei Training?

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
So I have a question about wotagei....

I've got a goal of making it to an Expo/Mirai at some point within the next few years. As I watch concert videos occasionally, I've been thinking that it ought to be part of my goal to prepare myself for that eventuality by doing some wotagei training. (So occasionally, yes, I sit by myself watching a concert video and shake my empty fist along with the music :) . )

This isn't so much about preparing for intricate, song-specific movements (though that could become part of it at some point); it's more about the physical aspect of it. (Most wotagei, from what I've observed, is simple--you just keep time with the music, faster/slower in some spots.) It's not that any one movement is hard, but I have to think that basically no one is generally prepared for holding their arm(s) over their head and shaking them 2 times per second or faster (or slower sometimes) for two hours straight (That's just an estimate; 120 BPM is standard pop speed, I've read.). If everyone in the audience really did that, probably there would be 75% of them who couldn't move their arms for a week afterward.

So I guess I'm trying to get a feel for how...I don't know, demanding?...the concert experience really is. I really want to do everything that's part of the concert experience/that you're supposed to do as a member of the audience, so ideally I'd be making an estimated 14,400 (120 arm shakes per minute x 60 minutes x 2 hours) arm shakes over the span of 2 hours. But do people really do that?

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Probably around 50% of the time you wave your penlights at around chest level so it's not very straining. When you're waving them at chest level, nist of the movement comes from your wrists which reduces the strain too. There's no way I could keep my arms moving above head level for extended amounts of time. I raise my penlights high only during choruses, special calls, at the end of each song. If there's a song I really like I might push it through the whole song, but that's a bit though as muscle fatigue kicks in.

Especially during the slower songs or when Miku's not on stage I might alternate between my arms so that each gets a bit of rest (and songs with Kaito or Meiko are usually an opportunity for me to take a breather altogether for around 1 minute).

I remember at my very first concert I went allbout and as a result my arms were completely shot the following morning. Though I had a flu on the day of my first live so I was pretty exhausted the following morning anyway, and being super excited didn't help.

All in all, it may be a bit straining if you're not used to waving penlights for a longer period of time, but you don't have to wave them up high all the time.

Reactions: mobius017

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)