• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Question Any tips on how to improve my Vocaloid production setup?

Hikikimori

New Fan
Jan 11, 2019
I initially posted this on the Vocaloid Amino but didn't get any replies - the leader of the Amino said that it might have been because of the type of people who normally use Amino compared to the people who I need to ask for this kind of question (I use Amino way too much for what could be considered healthy)
I currently have Cubase Elements 9.5 (I know that 10 is out and is much better but I'd rather wait till I can upgrade to Cubase Artist (Pro's expensive and I don't think I am currently ready for all the features that comes with Pro)) as well as the Vocaloid 4 editor for Cubase (don't know if I want to upgrade to V5 or 4.5 yet as I'm waiting for a decent selling point at the moment).

Equipment wise I currently have a 49 key MIDI keyboard as well as (inexplicably) a Snowball Ice Blue microphone - without owning a pop filter (I rarely use it anyway as I can't sing, but if I do use it, it would most likely be used for any kind of whispering that I may need). I do play piano - 7 octives - and am currently working towards my Grade 4 so I have a piano in the living room but I mostly do production in my bedroom but it is there as an opinion (does sound better than soundfonts and VSTs but soundfonts and VSTs have a better variety of sounds).

I'm currently wondering whether or not I should look for/get:

A: a MIDI pad for an easier inputting drums (the UI that Cubase uses for inputting drums is already good, it's just that it's hard invisioning where the inputs go so I think it may be better if I can play them in and I don't know the drums (and I don't really want to due to how half-commited to practicing my piano skills already) so a pad will likely be the best way to go.

B: any good VSTs and plugins that could be used to achieve a better sound (as the soundfonts can sound quite flat at times and you don't get that many VSTs with Elements, but you do get more depending on what version you get as Steinberg does do a lot of production on VSTs and plugins), I do know that Zero-G does have a lot of experimental VSTs but I just want to get some suggestions as to what I should get to achieve the sound that I want.

I particularly want to achieve a sound that sounds like a bit of a mix between cosMo@BousouP (more specifically Disappearance and The intense singing of Hatsune Miku), Wowaka (more specifically Rollin' Girl and Unhappy Refrain), Neru (more specifically The Lost Ones Weeping and Abstract Nonsense) and JRock band My First Story (more specifically Alone and Fukagyaku Replace) with a bit of piano added in (sadly I don't have any references for that).

Just looking for suggestions...

(I have posted this on the right part of the forum right?)

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Yeah, the Vocaloid Amino seems to be mainly fan art and appreciation stuff like that. But here at Vocaverse, I think the user base is older and there are a lot of people who know how to mix and tune and produce.

I think it would be helpful if you showed us any songs you've made, so we can better suggest what you could improve. It's hard to tell if you are just hoping to sound like the artists you listed (and are a beginner at making original music and have no idea where to start composing) or if you just want expensive tech suggestions. For example, when you say "achieve a better sound", we have no reference to hear what level it is and what is better than it.

Anyway, my advice (as a newbie wanna-be producer who's only done a few collabs and tests so far) is that it might not really matter what tools you use, but how you use them. Kind of like how an artist could draw something super beautiful in MS Paint of on a napkin with a crayon. You could give a person the most expensive guitar on the planet, but if they've only been playing for 3 weeks, it's obviously going to sound like crud. It's the skill they possess, not the tool.

I don't want to try to find the interview because it's buried after Spyro Reignited came out, but Steward Copeland said that for the music he made for Spyro the Dragon was with some simple VSTs and he actually enjoyed it a lot compared to using more professional software like he normally does. There's also a YouTuber named Andrew Huang who takes sound effects from like, dog food bags crunkling and soda making fizzy noises and literally transforms those sounds into edited "better" sounds in order to make his music. So, like, even if a vst you have sounds kinda lame, it seems like you can edit it to be more fancy.

Hopefully any of what I wrote makes sense.

Reactions: DaSpookyReaper

DaSpookyReaper

I like to haunt these forums once a while
Sep 2, 2018
I second with what uncreepy said, but perhaps I can narrow it down a bit on where to look,

I think you need a guitar, or friends who can play guitar with you since apart from the first two song listed they're all rock-based music
But as for plugins in disappearance any average synths or keys with a chiptune or digital keys, or square-tooth based preset can get that type of sound of that keys melody, the intro sounds like toy instruments (not these ones likely but u get my point)

If you're aiming for that orchestral sound like in "intense singing" u need find a orchestral bundle vst that has good articulation, do research thoroughly what styles of playing u need for the strings, bell etc. and see whether their specs provide what you need, and listen to the demos as some of the trills and scale runs could be sub-par in some libraries.

Lastly, try Gearslutz forums for suggestions on good vst's or ID'ing what sound, or synth of whichever elements it is that you were wondering to make/get. The guys on this forum, especially those with 10yrs+ will know what they're talking about and can probably ID even which exact synth it is and how it was made. But they are MUCH more older (like dad's age) so talking about Vocaloid could be get a lot more 'receptive' that us due to generation difference. I don't have a good experience talking about Vocaloids with elders but they could be more open than I expect.

But yeah apart from that from the the songs you've showed me it will most comes down you musical ability and creativity :kaito_move:. So basically most of what I said won't be necessary unless you were nitpicking at those elements which really doesn't make those two song what it is like sprinkles on top of the cupcakes.

Oh and MIDI PAD Won't be necessary since most likely the vst or default app for inputting drums will be mapped to a note on your MIDI keyboard (if not just map it yourself instead, saves a good $100.)

Reactions: Twillby

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Here are my suggesstions, of which I am also doing research to upgrade my equipment.

Firstly, I think you should pick up a guitar and learn to play. It seems that’s your interest field, and the best thing you can do is just record the guitar yourself or have someone record for you in order to get the best sound. You may be a little lazy to practice, but the effort is worth it. Most likely research some beginner/cheaper electric guitar options to start, as you’ll be able to record it later with an audio interface.

You may also look into MIDI controllers. Pianos that can connect to Cubaseand take place of the piano roll, as well as doig drum mapping. A friend recently showed me this one by Native Instruments. I have to do more research, but they are affordable.
Just a note, when looking at MIDI controllers, also look at bundled software! Many will come with VSTs you may like.

Native Instruments is also the company behind Kontakt, a pretty well known set of VSTs. You can see their page of free downloads to get things like the Kontakt Player, then find yourself some free Kontakt instruments online.

You may also hit up the Strinberg forums. Many people ask about VSTs and sh
Uch for Cubase and you can look through to find what you want from the multitude of threads.

Also, if you find a smaller producer you like the sound of, might take a chance and DM them and ask what they use. I’ve found making a little circle of producer mutuals can really come in handy and youcan share VSTs and such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)