• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Drama about lousy Miku cosplay on singaporean soap opera

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I read the whole thing and I still have no idea what to think. Probably copyright issues, didn't wanna buy a character license to use Miku's name/design.

Reactions: RabbitWhale39

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
There's never any issue in cosplaying, and I find it interesting that they tried to put it on a TV show. My only objection is that it looks atrocious. From a fashion perspective, the clothing does not suit Ya Hui's figure at all (the shirt makes her torso too long without outlining anything, possibly because it's badly cut, the pants and boots were a terrible choice), and given it's a TV show, I'm sure they had the budge to fix it up a bit and make it at least look better on her. Sorry if this sounds like nitpicking but when people dress well it makes me happy... >_< Ya Hui is clearly as beautiful as everyone is, and yet the outfit they chose for her makes her look silly and bad. The shorter wig could have worked but it doesn't; the hairstyle is not even "modernist", it doesn't work for her face shape.

The girl wearing the sakura outfit, on the other hand, looks much better. I guess it's clearer when you look at this photo that they put in the article; look at their image in the small screen. The ladies seem to be about the same size so you see that the fault is on the clothing, not on anything else. Yes, the shirt in Miku's original design is long, but it's not a long that looks bad on the person's body - it's a long that looks harmonious. Great clothing makes a person's figure look harmonious, it's all about playing out their best features. Colours, cuts and shapes make all the difference in presentation. Compare the pants and boots for the sakura lady and then compare their choices for the Miku lady, and how one complements the rest of the outfit and the other doesn't.

Tl;dr they look silly because they were made to look silly. Even their overly vibrant lipsticks could have worked if they had bothered to give them better clothing. That would have been a better presentation of something with such a big fanbase such as VOCALOID. I'm not sure what their purpose was, but they could have done it better.

(On a separate note, I'm impressed that Mothership's article summed up this aspect so well: "While the voice in the software was provided for by a real voice actress, Miku’s image provides an identity to the voicebank." That's some great wording ^^)

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Well... that Snow Miku cosplay does look quite cringey. Kinda gives the impression that the staff ran out of money or time and just gave the actress a cheap costume from ebay and a random wig they found somewhere. Sakura Miku cosplay looks much better.
They should have and could have done a better job with the Snow Miku costume, assuming they intentionally tried to go for a Miku cosplay and not just some random cosplay outfits for the actresses.

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
Is this actually something worth getting upset about though lol

(I do agree that the outfit is ill-fitting on her figure though, I think it'd look nicer if the top was a bit shorter and tighter).

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
Oh damn, sorry, of course not, I was just rambling! This is something too small, I just wanted to figure out why it looked weird.

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
Oh damn, sorry, of course not, I was just rambling! This is something too small, I just wanted to figure out why it looked weird.
Oh no, that wasn't specifically at you, sorry! Just the whole thing in general lol.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Is this actually something worth getting upset about though lol
Definitely not! I hope my post didn't look like it. I can't understand those fans who go rambling mad about something like this.
I just can't avoid the thought in my head that the staff tried their best and ran into problems and was forced to go with what they could deliver. OR maybe the cosplay was intentionally goofy?

Reactions: TheStarPalace

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I wonder what the show is normally like if they dressed up more than once. Like, are the characters quirky and what is the plot? If it's a soap, then maybe it's equally weird to American soaps (like getting kidnapped at a cabin, tripping on a slipper down the stairs and going in a coma, a priest turning into a vampire, etc. All those are real examples I've witnessed with my own eyes.)

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
after you have seen how german "reality" shows portray anime and cosplay you would call this a decent cosplay honestly.

Hatsune-hakase

Hɐʇsnuǝ-ɥɐʞɐsǝ
Apr 8, 2018
Most of the "fuss" seems overblown by these "news" sites trying to get clicks. There maybe is a legitimate complaint that this is portraying cosplay in a poor light, but I'd ask what makes the cosplay community look worse: some tv show's half-assed portrayal of cosplay, or the nerd-raging over-reaction to it by certain members of the cosplay community?

WintermintP

Lead Guitar, One Minute Winter
I honestly don't know what to think of this. If her hair was longer and dyed white instead of blue I think it may have worked? Maybe they could've been pigtail buns instead at least? Not a fan of the blue lipstick either... I for one don't hate the outfit per se but the way I see it, it could've been adjusted a little bit... Just a little.

Also I agree with some of the folks here. I think they were trying to avoid copyright problems, although they weren't really doing a good job at it if that was the case.

WintermintP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)