• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Guy uses Miku effects pedal to terrify viewers

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
(Kind of old news, but I don't think anyone wrote about either of these 2 entertaining Miku-related YouTube videos on here.)

Tyler Larson (aka Music is Win) is a guitar guru on YouTube, who teaches guitar and also creates what can only be described as odd experiments.

Miku pedal + tons of other pedals
In the first/oldest video, he creates a giant chain of his guitar effects pedals, gradually turning them on one by one to combine into a unique (and definitely not terrifying) sound.
I timestamped right before he turns on the Korg Miku Stomp so you can hear what the chain sounds like without her (8:04).

(8:25 is whem Miku kicks in.) The sound effects make the chain have so much delay that she's screaming without him even touching the guitar.
At 8:51, he starts adding more effects.
9:15 is when Miku starts to sound kind of spooky, and it grows worse by 9:30 (which prompts commenters to compare her sound to the demonic cries of the underworld).

Miku pedal + Otamatone
Tyler finds out that Otamatones exist and tests it out.

At 4:34, he plays us a beautiful and normal Otamatone song (for comparison for when the Miku pedal gets added).
5:30 Tyler announces that he is going to use the Miku pedal to give the Otamatone a voice we are all familiar with.
6:11 The Mikumatone (yeah, I made that word up) starts to sing for us.
6:38 Mikumatone cover of Dragonforce's "Through The Fire And Flames" (Here's the real version, if you want to compare, I guess. But I mean... they sound so similar.)

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
The Mikumatone is perfect and I want one

I kind of unironically want a cover of something... more Miku's style at least sjflkdsjflk

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
I would like to ask: which is better: Mikumatone or Kirbymatone? (Yes, like Mikumatone, I had decided to call the Kirby Otomatone the Kirbymatone.)

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Just learned about the Otamatone--apparently a pretty-sounding guitar with a rather unorthodox design. (Kinda looks like an enemy from the Neptunia series or something. :) )

Honest question: what does a person do with a Miku effect pedal? Or even one of those Miku keyboards, for that matter? I mean, she's a voice. The pedal looks like it makes a few different syllables; the keyboard, AFAIK, just makes one syllable at different pitches (could be wrong; that's just my supposition). I can't imagine you could really have Miku truly sing in real time with either of them. Best you could do is have her scream or something, like here. Is there really a use for something like that?

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Well, the Kirbymatone is certainly cuter. : P

I was curious, and I thought that the Miku pedal was just a mistake and should never have been made, but I decided to look up what Japanese users made with her and you can actually input lyrics ahead of time! What a shock, I just thought she made random oo's and aa's. (The keyboard actually can be programmed to sing words, too. A couple people on the Discord have it and compose with it.)

Miku pedal singing Senbonzakura:

Official trailer:

• Wow
Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I was curious, and I thought that the Miku pedal was just a mistake and should never have been made, but I decided to look up what Japanese users made with her and you can actually input lyrics ahead of time! What a shock, I just thought she made random oo's and aa's. (The keyboard actually can be programmed to sing words, too. A couple people on the Discord have it and compose with it.)

Miku pedal singing Senbonzakura:

Official trailer:
Ooh, wow, that's awesome! Yeah, if the keyboard can be programmed to sing lyrics ahead of time, depending on how it works, I can see where it'd be a big help for composing. Especially since I seem to like composing away from my computer. Thanks @uncreepy!

In case you're interested, here's a video that seems to cover the keyboard. Even having watched it, I'm not sure how they're getting the consonant (?)/non-AEIOU sounds--looks like the shift button gives the keyboard sequential sounds, while the AEIOU buttons make the keyboard produce only one of those sounds at different pitches. There's also vibrato and volume control, and you can draw arcs on the keyboard to make the sound crescendo and decrescendo (or something similar). Little thing seems to do a lot with not many buttons/other controls!

Edit: Based on some other stuff I found online, it looks like maybe the keyboard can pull in lyrics when connnected via USB to certain versions of Cubase. So maybe that's one way that process can work.

Last edited:

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Reviving this old thread. Found a video by a guy who actually uses Miku Stomp for performances.

He explains the pedal in great detail, talking viewers through the process of what you can/can't do with it and how to input lyrics. He also says the pros and cons to it in a serious way that makes sense to non-guitarists (ex: you can't control the volume, you can't mess up one note or it messes up the lyrics, it has latency and the samples don't let you have sustain so their length can only be short for certain settings). The beginning includes a summary of Vocaloid in the beginning from the Miku and Lady Gaga era, showing he did research on Vocaloid and didn't only buy it for the novelty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)