• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

[Headcanon] Vocaloids' speaking styles/cadences?

AmazingStrange39

Miku-Avanna-Gumi enthusiast
May 23, 2019
If you were to have them all be characters in a story, or if you were to make a Talkloid with them, keeping their personalities and backgrounds in mind, how would you imagine each one talking?

I'll start with my first-discovered, first-purchased and personal favorite Vocaloid, Hatsune Miku.

In Japanese (L1): I see her speaking at a higher register, with a relatively cheerful and "bouncy" cadence. I can imagine her ending sentences with "da yo" and "ne" a lot in Japanese. Refers to herself as "watashi", uses honorifics even with friends and is very polite and friendly. Even when she's sad or angry, her voice still has some "bounce" to it. I think it'd be cute if she slips into the Hokkaido dialect on occasion, and it'd be fitting too, given Crypton's insistence on Miku & co. being from the Hokkaido Prefecture (usually Sapporo specifically, since that's where CFM is).

In English (L2): I suppose she COULD speak perfect English, being conceptually an android, but both her evident Japanese accent and the story of Saki Fujita learning English to record Miku point to the idea that she learned the language naturally, so I like to think she's fairly noticeably non-native. She tends to speak more slowly and carefully in English than she does in Japanese and occasionally makes mistakes in grammar and intonation. She's mostly learned American English, so her grammar and vocabulary are pretty American-leaning (the case is the same for the other Cryptonloids, for the most part). Much like in Japanese, she tends to talk pretty cheerfully and politely, similarly to at her concerts (with less projection, obviously).

In Mandarin Chinese (L3): I can't speak well for this one because I neither have Miku CN nor do I know much Chinese myself, but given hearsay that she has a pretty noticeable Japanese accent (I wouldn't be able to tell very well), I'd imagine her Chinese isn't perfect either. I like to think she adheres pretty strongly to the tones and pronounces them literally (perhaps some mistaken tones as well; it's not like she's got a script in front of her constantly), as well as speaking somewhat more slowly than say, Luo Tianyi or Stardust would.

In general, I tend to stick to the idea of Miku as a polite, energetic and optimistic ray of sunshine; some may feel differently and that's totally fine! She is, of course, capable of feeling other emotions or sometimes no emotions at all (in which case, of course, her voice would go flat).

I also like to think the non-native Vocaloids all struggle with or excel at different things, much like the native ones have different pronunciation quirks, dialects and the like. Even if many Vocaloids speak English with Japanese accents, for example, even Rin and Len have slight pronunciation differences from one another, and they both sound different compared to Miku, who pronounces things differently than Luka does. And those are all the same company- going outside of Crypton, Macne Nana, Gumi and Fukase sound VASTLY different to one another! (In fact, Fukase's accent doesn't sound very typical of a Japanese-accented Vocaloid at all!)

Reactions: razelberii

razelberii

Bless the Lord, O my Soul
Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
Oh, this is a fun idea!
I'll admit, I have not thought about this too much. I don't think my answers will be that good either aha.
But hopefully they can still be enjoyed!

:len_smile_lili: Kagamine Len:
Japanese
I imagine Len using 俺 (ore) to try "sounding older" and cool, I suppose. Though really, I think of the レ part of オレ and レン's name (weird logic but I find it silly).
So Len tends to speak more casual especially around his friends, though he still uses honorifics often and wants to be nice to his friends. He still ends up speaking polite sometimes.

English
Here I imagine Len's English isn't perfect, yet sometimes he still throws English phrases every now and then since he thinks it sounds "cool". (My only example I can think of is Sonic the Hedgehog in the Japanese version of the games, he speaks English quite a bit).
(The last part of the video likely has the best examples)

I suppose this isn't the best interpretation though, given Len's English voicebank. Perhaps this is where he started with learning English, and nowadays he's speaking it a bit more naturally. He still can't help giving a サンキュー to his friends sometimes when they help him out, even if he's speaking to a Japanese native friend.

:leon_lili: :lola_lili: LEON and LOLA:
Japanese
I did actually make a Talkloid somewhat related to this some time ago haha!
I imagine since they're still learning Japanese, their Japanese still sounds quite "textbook"-y and not like a native's: always using "watashi" and "desu" and making full sentences according to a textbook (No "yo" or "ne" or etc. endings).
Hopefully they'll master it one day.

But, that's just my simple thinking on this idea haha! Again, I think it's fun but I also do not typically think about headcannons and the like, so my interpretations might be kinda strange or boring :yohioloid_lili:

PearlStarLight5

Miss Retrocore, at your service!
I write Talkloids, and in English at that and my responses is basically just "is this in character for my depiction to say?", though sometimes I have some set, like Eleanor having a more proper and polite manner of speech (e.g. "[Talkloid] The Haunted Mansion").
Though one idea I do have for Japanese, that if there's any SynthV or CeVIO who peppers in English like Sonic, it's Maki (which she actually kinda does in CeVIO Virtual Music Jam anyway)

AmazingStrange39

May 23, 2019
Oh, this is a fun idea!
I'll admit, I have not thought about this too much. I don't think my answers will be that good either aha.
But hopefully they can still be enjoyed!

:len_smile_lili: Kagamine Len:
Japanese
I imagine Len using 俺 (ore) to try "sounding older" and cool, I suppose. Though really, I think of the レ part of オレ and レン's name (weird logic but I find it silly).
So Len tends to speak more casual especially around his friends, though he still uses honorifics often and wants to be nice to his friends. He still ends up speaking polite sometimes.

English
Here I imagine Len's English isn't perfect, yet sometimes he still throws English phrases every now and then since he thinks it sounds "cool". (My only example I can think of is Sonic the Hedgehog in the Japanese version of the games, he speaks English quite a bit).
(The last part of the video likely has the best examples)

I suppose this isn't the best interpretation though, given Len's English voicebank. Perhaps this is where he started with learning English, and nowadays he's speaking it a bit more naturally. He still can't help giving a サンキュー to his friends sometimes when they help him out, even if he's speaking to a Japanese native friend.

:leon_lili: :lola_lili: LEON and LOLA:
Japanese
I did actually make a Talkloid somewhat related to this some time ago haha!
I imagine since they're still learning Japanese, their Japanese still sounds quite "textbook"-y and not like a native's: always using "watashi" and "desu" and making full sentences according to a textbook (No "yo" or "ne" or etc. endings).
Hopefully they'll master it one day.

But, that's just my simple thinking on this idea haha! Again, I think it's fun but I also do not typically think about headcannons and the like, so my interpretations might be kinda strange or boring :yohioloid_lili:
I actually imagine Miku doing the same thing trying to speak English pre-English voicebank, haha. Though it'd also be cute if she got her English voicebank and started using gratuitous English just because she was so excited, haha.

Back in the V3 days I can imagine her speaking English a bit more awkwardly, while by V4 she has a better grasp and speaks more naturally but not perfectly. Much like her voicebank's quirks suggest, she makes a lot of pronunciation mistakes surrounding the dreaded English liquid consonants, L and R. Miku made bigger mistakes back then, e.g. she might say "It's really better!" when her future self would know it's "a lot/much better" (tbf "really better" is grammatically correct if you mean "actually better"). (Luka sometimes says she misses Miku's old "broken" English...)

Luka was already competent in English by V2, but by the time V4X came out she was pretty much fluent.

Personality-wise I can actually see Kaito, Miku and Luka all having "softer" personalities (kind-hearted, polite, mild-mannered) while Rin, Len and Meiko all have "harder" personalities (a bit more rough-and-tumble, energetic, and rash). I imagine Miku and Luka both using "watashi", Kaito using "boku", Len using "ore", Rin using "atashi" and Meiko using something a bit rougher, like "uchi" or "boku".

I write Talkloids, and in English at that and my responses is basically just "is this in character for my depiction to say?", though sometimes I have some set, like Eleanor having a more proper and polite manner of speech (e.g. "[Talkloid] The Haunted Mansion").
Though one idea I do have for Japanese, that if there's any SynthV or CeVIO who peppers in English like Sonic, it's Maki (which she actually kinda does in CeVIO Virtual Music Jam anyway)
That makes sense! If Eleanor were rude that would mean I'm having a fever dream, haha

I'd also imagine Avanna talking that way (doesn't she just LOOK polite, soft mature voice aside?), with some Irish flair of course. I'd imagine her "Irish-ness" is less in rough slang and more in like, grammatical choices. (E.g. she'd always give an answer like "Are you available?" "I am." rather than "Are you available?" "Yes.") I imagine her saying things like "Oh my!" and "Good heavens!" when she's surprised, she seems like that type.

As for Sonika, I guess we could look at her Twitter? She's got a bit of canon personality going on already, haha. I can imagine her dialogue being noticeably more slang-heavy compared to mild-mannered non-native Miku and very polite Avanna.

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
I always imagined that all vocal synths speak in literal phonemes. Meaning the ones you see while you're tuning (depending on which language it is), those are what they can read fluently, their native language. Ofc this makes no difference to us bc they mostly come out like normal. Especially with English voca synths, I imagine it'd be hard for most of them to sound out lyrics and texts in plain English since it would involve guessing how those words are pronounced. That said, some may adapt to a different accent or dialect that's easier for them to do.

Like for most of the Zero-G synths (Leon, Lola,, Miriam and Tonio), they would use the standard British dialect and such given their background and how they came out from their voice providers.

:prima_lili: Prima would be one of the exemptions. For her she speaks in a Mid-Atlantic accent: one part because it's easier for her, and another part bc she saw a lot of old Hollywood movies before her debut.
:sonika_lili: Sonika has a slight British accent, but she has a high cheery tone when she speaks. She's not worried too much about how she sounds speaking, so she usually ends her sentences in like she was still singing.
:avanna_lili: Probably takes inspiration from memes, so she she pronounces
:dex_lili: :daina_lili: Dex just speaks, in his own words, "pretty normal". Most of the time he speaks in a low---almost monotone---voice. It's hard to tell if he's being sarcastic or not. Meanwhile, Daina is very subconscious with how she sounds speaking; when she wants to be serious, she pronounces every consonant to make sure it's correct (most of the time she ends up over-doing it). Any other time, especially when she talks fast, she kinda shifts to a Southern accent. I think it'd be cute lol.

Reactions: PearlStarLight5

AmazingStrange39

May 23, 2019
I always imagined that all vocal synths speak in literal phonemes. Meaning the ones you see while you're tuning (depending on which language it is), those are what they can read fluently, their native language. Ofc this makes no difference to us bc they mostly come out like normal. Especially with English voca synths, I imagine it'd be hard for most of them to sound out lyrics and texts in plain English since it would involve guessing how those words are pronounced. That said, some may adapt to a different accent or dialect that's easier for them to do.

Like for most of the Zero-G synths (Leon, Lola,, Miriam and Tonio), they would use the standard British dialect and such given their background and how they came out from their voice providers.

:prima_lili: Prima would be one of the exemptions. For her she speaks in a Mid-Atlantic accent: one part because it's easier for her, and another part bc she saw a lot of old Hollywood movies before her debut.
:sonika_lili: Sonika has a slight British accent, but she has a high cheery tone when she speaks. She's not worried too much about how she sounds speaking, so she usually ends her sentences in like she was still singing.
:avanna_lili: Probably takes inspiration from memes, so she she pronounces
:dex_lili: :daina_lili: Dex just speaks, in his own words, "pretty normal". Most of the time he speaks in a low---almost monotone---voice. It's hard to tell if he's being sarcastic or not. Meanwhile, Daina is very subconscious with how she sounds speaking; when she wants to be serious, she pronounces every consonant to make sure it's correct (most of the time she ends up over-doing it). Any other time, especially when she talks fast, she kinda shifts to a Southern accent. I think it'd be cute lol.
Ruby with a slight New York accent anyone? What if it slips into really strong territory when she's feeling strong emotions

In the same vein, what if Oliver speaks proper RP usually but if he gets angry or really excited or something he goes full-on Cockney? Like, he suddenly shifts from Oliver Twist to the Artful Dodger, haha

I always heard Cyber Diva with a bit of a twang so I'd probably play on that.

I can imagine Yohioloid having a pretty relaxed way of speaking, like "hey, buddy, it's cool", that kind of thing. I can see him being pretty chill.

I've always found the idea of Dex being lovably dense and scatterbrained appealing myself. I almost give him the personality some fans give Kaito, haha. But Dex being more deadpan isn't a bad idea either!

Oh, what about Big Al? I definitely see the guy as a gentle giant, so I'd see him speaking in kind of a respectful gentlemanly manner, or maybe in a more dad-like way, even calling the younger male loids "son" or "sport". His accent and speaking style is very American, which is a contrast to the very Australian Sweet Ann, whom I imagine talking in a slightly more sassy/spunky way, while still being very motherly and kind.

Also, since Internet Co. is based in Osaka, what if Gumi mostly speaks standard Japanese but slips into strong Kansai-ben under certain circumstances? It's more of an "ooh, me accent's slipping" situation than Miku using Hokkaido-ben vocabulary from time to time though. I'd imagine her going by "atashi", perhaps "uchi" in the aforementioned situation. Her English is very fluent and she leans toward an American style of speech.

Fukase I'd imagine speaking in a pretty casual, but not rude, way. His English is very fluent and he leans somewhat toward a British style of speaking.

Alternatively, Fukase is incredibly extravagant and eccentric and his speech patterns match that. (It's easy to slip into the former headcanon, but gosh a flamboyant Fukase would be so much fun)

I can imagine IA speaking in a pretty mild-mannered way normally, but putting on a cool "tough" image on stage, depending on the song. She is fluent in English and some of her friends are envious of her pronunciation skills.

Macne Nana speaks in a cutesy way in Japanese and uses "atashi" as a personal pronoun. In English she talks a bit more normally (since her ENG voice is a bit deeper and more natural-sounding). Despite her thick accent she is very fluent in the language, and she speaks French and Chinese as well. I like the idea that she helped Miku a bit with her English in preparation for V4, hence Miku's accent sort of "loosening up" in the update.

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
I've always found the idea of Dex being lovably dense and scatterbrained appealing myself. I almost give him the personality some fans give Kaito, haha. But Dex being more deadpan isn't a bad idea either!
In my hc's, Dex and Daina are kinda reserved amongst each other, but really they're pretty fun. My Dex is also kind of dense, but in a way where he can't read the room, so he just ends up looking bland when he really wants to be funny lmao

Oh, what about Big Al? I definitely see the guy as a gentle giant, so I'd see him speaking in kind of a respectful gentlemanly manner, or maybe in a more dad-like way, even calling the younger male loids "son" or "sport". His accent and speaking style is very American, which is a contrast to the very Australian Sweet Ann, whom I imagine talking in a slightly more sassy/spunky way, while still being very motherly and kind.
Heck yeah we love parent Ann and Al, I totally see it. I also feel like to mask her accent when singing or acting for a vid, she'd also use a mid-atlantic accent like Prima (Ann's the one who introduced old Hollywood to her hehe)

AmazingStrange39

May 23, 2019
In my hc's, Dex and Daina are kinda reserved amongst each other, but really they're pretty fun. My Dex is also kind of dense, but in a way where he can't read the room, so he just ends up looking bland when he really wants to be funny lmao

Heck yeah we love parent Ann and Al, I totally see it. I also feel like to mask her accent when singing or acting for a vid, she'd also use a mid-atlantic accent like Prima (Ann's the one who introduced old Hollywood to her hehe)
Oh gosh, imagine Dex with a penchant for absolutely terrible puns...

I can see it. She's definitely got the whole vintage Hollywood thing going on, with her original boxart literally being photoshopped Lena Horne and all.

I don't have as much to go off of for the other Cryptonloids as I do for Miku, nor do I have much of their history (Miku has an in-depth backstory for her English, lol), so it's a bit more difficult to come up with an English level for them. Maybe Rin and Len were studying English casually for a while, and then they started studying with Luka when they heard they might get English voicebanks? Kaito I'd imagine had some experience prior so his English is probably at a good level. Meiko, uhh...

I really don't know all that much about Meiko's English, if I'm honest. For one thing I don't see much use of Meiko English...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)