• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

How to learn tuning on VOCALOID 5 for my song ?

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
Hi, I didn't really know where to post this.
I recently purchased VOCALOID 5 and I puchased before Kagamine rin/len v4x bundle.
And I'm currently working on an original song that I currently named "I am myself"
while I've been able to put correctly all the notes, I have huge problems with tuning, it's a lot more visible in the notes at the beginning that I tried to tune (it kinda sounds better without my awful tuning of the beginning after the beginning ends)

do you know any good tutorial of tuning for vocaloid 5 ? I spent hours searching on google, I only find basic tutorials of people adding notes for really small stuff and that's it

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I think a good way to learn how to tune is to simply do tests with each parameter enough so that you are used to them and know what each does when turned up high and low.

Of course, we can answer specific questions about each parameter to help you out.

I usually start blocking in what I want stuff to sound like the same way for every song. So I use DYN to make the end of notes taper out, or use it to increase the volume at the start of a note for more power. Then add some gender factor to help notes sound more masculine or feminine (a lot of people draw it as a straight line, but you can actually draw it in wiggley amounts because certain vowels sound weird with too much). Then do some flair stuff like add breathy sounds to the voice or Pitch Bend so you can decide how warbly they sing. Basically draw mountains and wiggles and keep experimenting.

Vocaloid 5 has a manual built in if you haven't read through that.

Yamaha's official Vocaloid channel has some official tutorial videos, too.

This is for V4, but Lumi's channel has tutorials (but the theory and most of the parameters is basically the same):
(Turn on the subtitles, they are in English.)

Reactions: mobius017

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
I think a good way to learn how to tune is to simply do tests with each parameter enough so that you are used to them and know what each does when turned up high and low.

Of course, we can answer specific questions about each parameter to help you out.

I usually start blocking in what I want stuff to sound like the same way for every song. So I use DYN to make the end of notes taper out, or use it to increase the volume at the start of a note for more power. Then add some gender factor to help notes sound more masculine or feminine (a lot of people draw it as a straight line, but you can actually draw it in wiggley amounts because certain vowels sound weird with too much). Then do some flair stuff like add breathy sounds to the voice or Pitch Bend so you can decide how warbly they sing. Basically draw mountains and wiggles and keep experimenting.

Vocaloid 5 has a manual built in if you haven't read through that.

Yamaha's official Vocaloid channel has some official tutorial videos, too.

This is for V4, but Lumi's channel has tutorials (but the theory and most of the parameters is basically the same):
(Turn on the subtitles, they are in English.)
Thanks, I'll try to look at it, I've already in the past looked at the vocaloid channel but they don't have tutorials on tuning, most of their tutorials are focused on stuff like vocal chops etc, mostly treating vocaloids like tools for harmony than lead singer, which doesn't help me when it's supposed to be the lead voice

I'll look at Lumi's channel

it's kinda hard to start when there are so many factors to take in account right at the beginning

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
to follow Lumi's tutorials I should maybe follow them on VOCALOID 3 (I own a vocaloid 3 licence)
since the vocaloid 3 UI is a lot more similar to the 4 than the 5, it'll be easier to follow

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
I'm not sure if you know, but assuming you've updated to 5.3.1 for Vocaloid 5 Editor (which came out like... yesterday), the interface has a little "v" arrow on the bottom left corner in order to access the old hand-drawn tuning parameters. (If you haven't updated, it's a + sign.) But I think it's a good idea to try out different versions of the editor and see what suits you while you learn. Keep us updated on your progress and feel free to ask any questions, some of the parameters are a little hard to understand and some are more noticable in ENG vs JP (ex: Velocity). ^^

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
it's kinda hard to start when there are so many factors to take in account right at the beginning
That's understandable. When you first get into the Vocaloid interface, it looks like there are a lot of things to play with, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed at first.

I agree with everything uncreepy said. I think the right approach is to try to get a feel for what each parameter does--read the descriptions in the manual (which sometimes aren't clear right away, but they help), put in a test note and turn each parameter up and down on its own, try to get a feel for how each parameter changes the voice. Then, when you're creating, block in the vocal by putting in the notes and the lyrics so that your melody is basically there, and then go through the thing carefully and try to imagine how the voice is changing/what the parameters might be doing. You don't necessarily have to change every parameter all the time, just go for the big ones first--is the voice getting clearer on this note (parameter: CLE)? Brighter (parameter: BRI)? Is there kind of a distortion/gravellyness/growl to it (parameter: GWL)? Is it getting louder/quieter (parameter: DYN)? Try to capture the bigger changes first, and if it still doesn't sound how you want, try to notice the littler things (the parameters that aren't changing as much) and pick at those, probably by smaller amounts than the big changes.

It's a little esoteric and sentimental as advice, but don't think of your Vocaloid's voice as a complicated mess of things that you have to subdue. Think of it like sculpting pottery--create a general shape and then gently, patiently guide and smooth it into your desired form.

In addition to the manual, there's also a tutorial by Pepperon-p that @uncreepy translated before (Thank you!). I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment (Maybe it was back on VO, which is gone now....)...and maybe I shouldn't be linking to it without permission anyway. It's also quite old by current standards (It was based on Vocaloid 2 or 3.). But it was a good addition to the manual for helping get a better flavor for what each parameter does, plus a bunch of other little more advanced insights about how to split syllables or neat effects you could make by tweaking the parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncreepy

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
In addition to the manual, there's also a tutorial by Pepperon-p that @uncreepy translated before (Thank you!). I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment (Maybe it was back on VO, which is gone now....)...and maybe I shouldn't be linking to it without permission anyway. It's also quite old by current standards (It was based on Vocaloid 2 or 3.). But it was a good addition to the manual for helping get a better flavor for what each parameter does, plus a bunch of other little more advanced insights about how to split syllables or neat effects you could make by tweaking the parameters.
I had to look around quite a bit in order to figure out what you were talking about, but I actually remember/know what happened after thinking about it more. There was a person on VocaloudOtaku who had a Gackpo avatar (I can't remember their username) who used to share parts of translations of a Japanese Vocaloid 3 tutorial book. I remember because I used to look at old threads. I think their translations might be lost now because of VO shutting down and I don't know who to contact (I think they had them backed up on their blog?)

I actually own this book and this book, so I can answer specific questions about parameters and the interface because of having them and also asking a lot of questions. Or maybe I should just write some sort of quick guide on what each parameter does and post it to resources? Not sure how popular a guide on parameters would be.

Edit: I reminded myself that this Vocaloid Wiki article about parameters is extremely helpful: Using the Parameters

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Edit: I reminded myself that this Vocaloid Wiki article about parameters is extremely helpful: Using the Parameters
Oh yeah, GJ remembering that guide! I've looked at it a bunch of times!

I had to look around quite a bit in order to figure out what you were talking about, but I actually remember/know what happened after thinking about it more. There was a person on VocaloudOtaku who had a Gackpo avatar (I can't remember their username) who used to share parts of translations of a Japanese Vocaloid 3 tutorial book. I remember because I used to look at old threads. I think their translations might be lost now because of VO shutting down and I don't know who to contact (I think they had them backed up on their blog?)
Ah, oops, sorry, I'd thought you were the one who translated these, but the ones you found from Narumo look to be the correct ones. I remember the stuff being a little scattered, and maybe they skipped some material they felt wasn't really worthwhile (like stuff about the history/nature of Vocaloid or something?).

I did a little digging, and I think I've been able to fill in the gaps. Here's a full table of contents:

Part 1

Extra 1 (Guess this goes here?)

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Part 12

Part 13

Part 14

Part 15

Reactions: uncreepy

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
It could maybe be useful to make a thread referencing useful stuff like this for newcommers

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
It could maybe be useful to make a thread referencing useful stuff like this for newcommers
I was actually thinking the same thing earlier. I took the various bits of this thread and used them as the starting point for a new Tuning Resource. Hopefully that's ok; I feel like as I went along I was citing @uncreepy's items a lot more than mine. But it's a collaborative resource, so if anyone has more stuff to add to it, please leave a comment, and I'll see about adding it and giving you credit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)