• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

How would you do this scream in UTAU exactly?

sleepysheep7

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!
Apr 8, 2018
So in the original version of "Servant of the Moon" there is a gritty scream/ glitchy scream at the beginning that I honestly have no clue how to do. To me it kinda sounds like they took an "ah" sound and ran it through a filter of some kind. Would anyone know where to start on this?

Here is the original song if you would like to here it:

You can here the sound right at the start after the breath, right around the 3:00 area, and finally at the end at around 4:15ish.

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Oh, I see. Thanks Winter. :akari_lili:

Okay, let me google real quick and see what I get....

EDIT: Well, I didn't search much, but I found this video. I don't really like it (only found the second interesting, but wasn't a big fan on the voicebank sound or how the OP did the video/examples/etc.. :piko_lili:) Here is the YT link

Last edited:

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018
Oh, I see. Thanks Winter. :akari_lili:

Okay, let me google real quick and see what I get....

EDIT: Well, I didn't search much, but I found this video. I don't really like it (only found the second interesting, but wasn't a big fan on the voicebank sound or how the OP did the video/examples/etc.. :piko_lili:) Here is the YT link
An interesting way to do a scream but not the style I'm looking for. From what I can tell something was used on the vocals to give them a deeper feeling like a roar. I know moresampler has a roar setting but it doesn't seem to work for how this song does it.

@sleepysheep7 Vocascreamer is not all that reliable because you don't have the flexibility you get with Charsiesis.

@GreenFantasy64 UTAU have their own methods for screams. I think there's already some online tutorials on it.

Regards,
WintermintP
Yeah I just downloaded Charsiesis to play with it. I think I'm gonna have to add some more to it like what a uncreepy (I think that is who screenshotted their stuff) did

GreenFantasy64

Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
uncreepy wasn't the one to screenshot it, but Sphinx if you're talking about the Charsiesis of what they did. :yanhe_lili:
uncreepy is the one who translated Japanese guides of the program along with Vocascreamer, etc..

I hope you get the effects that you want, sleepy. :lumi_lili:

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018
uncreepy wasn't the one to screenshot it, but Sphinx if you're talking about the Charsiesis of what they did. :yanhe_lili:
uncreepy is the one who translated Japanese guides of the program along with Vocascreamer, etc..

I hope you get the effects that you want, sleepy. :lumi_lili:
Ah, yes that is who it was, thank you. I suppose the worst case scenario is that I just cut that from the cover if I can't get it to work out. I think it is mostly going to be me just guessing and checking until I get something I like.

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018
Well after fiddling with Charsiesis and Fruity studio enhancer, This was the results that I got. What do you guys think?

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018
OOooh, that sounds nice and does sound similar enough! :seeu_lili:
What did you do to achieve that effect if I may ask?
Ah, I'm glad you like it. (I think it is a little loud to be honest but, Mixing will come in later.) I used FL-Studios to do it and used a mix of Fruity Limiter, Fruity EQ2, Charsiesis, Fruity Stereo Enhancer, Fruity Delay, Fruity Reverb 2, and Fruity multi band compressor.

GreenFantasy64

Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Ah, I'm glad you like it. (I think it is a little loud to be honest but, Mixing will come in later.) I used FL-Studios to do it and used a mix of Fruity Limiter, Fruity EQ2, Charsiesis, Fruity Stereo Enhancer, Fruity Delay, Fruity Reverb 2, and Fruity multi band compressor.

Oh, okay thanks. :azuki_lili:

You mean it'll never come out good enough unless it's on FL Studio? Thanks a lot, now I have to save up another $1.5K just to buy another DAW... :kaito_lili:

Regards,
WintermintP
Isn't some of the effects at least similar to the ones from Studio One? (I know they look different, but you should be able to do the similar effect too. ^^)

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018
You mean it'll never come out good enough unless it's on FL Studio? Thanks a lot, now I have to save up another $1.5K just to buy another DAW... :kaito_lili:

Regards,
WintermintP
Nah, you can probably make something just as good with Audacity to be honest if you are willing to work. FL-Studios just has a lot of tools built in for a price that are more visually friendly. Most of the tools in FL-studios, you can find a fre variant of online. FL-Limiter is just a compressor/limiter which you can find one for free in Audacity, Fruity EQ2 is just an equalizer which I know audacity has for free, Charsiesis is already freeware so you can get that, Fruity Stereo Enhancer might be the only one that is difficult because it is some kind filter/shaper program so you would probably just have to play around with VSTis that do that, Fruity Reverb 2 is just a reverb; again Audacity has a free one, and finally; Fruity multi band compressor is just another compressor which if you can use the audacity one or just use a freeware version that I am sure there are a million of. I would try bedroomproducersblog site for freeware vstis. They seem to have a lot of stuff for people like me who are just rookies looking to have fun and stuff for more serious producers. I know when I googled vsti Stereo Enhancer it was the first one to appear.
Oh, okay thanks. :azuki_lili:

Isn't some of the effects at least similar to the ones from Studio One? (I know they look different, but you should be able to do the similar effect too. ^^)
I'm sure there are, if not; freeware is a good next step.

WintermintP

Lead Guitar, One Minute Winter
Nah, you can probably make something just as good with Audacity to be honest if you are willing to work. FL-Studios just has a lot of tools built in for a price that are more visually friendly. Most of the tools in FL-studios, you can find a fre variant of online. FL-Limiter is just a compressor/limiter which you can find one for free in Audacity, Fruity EQ2 is just an equalizer which I know audacity has for free, Charsiesis is already freeware so you can get that, Fruity Stereo Enhancer might be the only one that is difficult because it is some kind filter/shaper program so you would probably just have to play around with VSTis that do that, Fruity Reverb 2 is just a reverb; again Audacity has a free one, and finally; Fruity multi band compressor is just another compressor which if you can use the audacity one or just use a freeware version that I am sure there are a million of. I would try bedroomproducersblog site for freeware vstis. They seem to have a lot of stuff for people like me who are just rookies looking to have fun and stuff for more serious producers. I know when I googled vsti Stereo Enhancer it was the first one to appear.

I'm sure there are, if not; freeware is a good next step.
Problem 1: I made my Charsiesis scream effect using paid plugins. Yes, I used FabFilter Pro-Q. Also, not all EQ plugins are the same as each has a different quality.

Problem 2: There are a bunch of plugins that are actually exclusive to FL Studio, such as Stereo Enhancer. Also, The Fruity Limiter is also pretty much an FL exclusive as all other limiters have completely different parameters vs the Fruity Limiter, so even if you knew the settings on the Fruity Limiter you would have no clue how to transfer that over to other plugins and vice versa. It's a one of a kind. Likewise is the case with Fruity Reverb 2 as there are no other reverb plugins that work or sound the same way. I mean, there's Technically Binaural Pan but it doesn't work unless it's on a stereo track or bus (and it doesn't even work the same way).

Problem 3: I don't know about FL Studio but if you try the same effect on StudioOne on a mono track you get phase issues. At best you can send the mono track through a stereo bus to put on the effects there, and then your overall phase of the track suffers afterwards.

Problem 4: StudioOne doesn't have a proper stock limiter plugin. It's clunky as hell and at best it's more of a clipper.

Regards,
WintermintP

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018
Problem 1: I made my Charsiesis scream effect using paid plugins. Yes, I used FabFilter Pro-Q. Also, not all EQ plugins are the same as each has a different quality.

Problem 2: There are a bunch of plugins that are actually exclusive to FL Studio, such as Stereo Enhancer. Also, The Fruity Limiter is also pretty much an FL exclusive as all other limiters have completely different parameters vs the Fruity Limiter, so even if you knew the settings on the Fruity Limiter you would have no clue how to transfer that over to other plugins and vice versa. It's a one of a kind. Likewise is the case with Fruity Reverb 2 as there are no other reverb plugins that work or sound the same way. I mean, there's Technically Binaural Pan but it doesn't work unless it's on a stereo track or bus (and it doesn't even work the same way).

Problem 3: I don't know about FL Studio but if you try the same effect on StudioOne on a mono track you get phase issues. At best you can send the mono track through a stereo bus to put on the effects there, and then your overall phase of the track suffers afterwards.

Problem 4: StudioOne doesn't have a proper stock limiter plugin. It's clunky as hell and at best it's more of a clipper.

Regards,
WintermintP
Well they wouldn't be exact but I know most come with some manuals that you can read through to figure out how to get close. I know Audacity has a full wiki dedicated to teaching how to use the thing. If they don't then I would check around youtube or forums like ours. As my A+ teacher said, if you are having a problem with something; then that means at least 100 other people have has well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)