• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Suggestion Japanese category + channel(s) for Discord?

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I was wondering if the mods would consider adding a Japanese-language category to Discord?
In the category could be 2+ channels related to learning Japanese.

REASONS TO ADD:
  • Many vocal synth fans are interested in learning Japanese. A lot of their favorite voice banks only sing in Japanese.
  • Having a section for Japanese would add more fun things to do in the server.
  • It would create a special spot to talk about Japanese instead of clogging up general chat.

SUGGESTIONS FOR WHAT TO IMPLEMENT:

CHANNEL FOR THE KOTOBA BOT (LEARN/PLAY WITH KOTOBA):
  • I strongly recommend adding the bot called Kotoba. (I use her in my private server and she's really fun! Makes it feel like you have a study buddy to compete with.)
  • You can use her to search for things like example sentences and stroke order for kanji.
  • You can play a modified version of shiritori with her and other members can join in as well. (Real shiritori's goal is to pick a word that ends in n/ん, but since she's a bot, she would win every time, so the game only ends when you tell her to stop. You can also only say nouns, which makes it challenging but exciting.)
  • Maybe make a specific channel for playing shiritori, so it doesn't make the other Japanese channels messy.
shiritori.jpg

VOICE CHANNEL FOR GROUP STUDY:
  • In the past, I had done a few voice chats while sharing my screen to VocaVerse members so we could read Japanese manga together. Maybe we could do "watch parties" for translating Vocaloid lyrics/music videos or watch Japanese YouTube videos/Disney+ with Dualsub (shows English and Japanese subs simultaneously) together.

TEXT CHANNEL FOR QUESTIONS/LEARNING:
  • People could ask about the meaning of Vocaloid lyrics or share their attempts at translations.
  • Could have weekly challenges (ex: translate a block of text, write a 4 sentence journal).
  • Could discuss Japanese singing synths or Japanese text-to-speech for projects.

Hopefully these ideas seem tempting enough to consider adding.

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I'm studying Japanese in university right now and would absolutely love to study alongside you all! My schedule is absolutely packed so I don't think I'll be able to join any read-alongs anytime soon, but would still like to try to speak casually with people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)