• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Thoughts Regarding the Crypton Future Media Departure From Yamaha

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
I’ve come to a theory as to why Crypton Future Media (CFM) split with Yamaha and their Vocaloid software engine to create their own Piapro engine.

Looking at the trajectory Yamaha has taken with their in-house voicebank development, we see that they have focused on generic but realistic vocals. They are aimed at professional/semi-professional music producers who want to use the software as just another instrument. We see this especially with their lineup of Vocaloid 5 voicebanks.

Looking back, I feel in the beginning we all liked Miku (and others) despite her flaws. But over a decade later I feel like we love Miku because of her flaws. With Vocaloid 4 she can sound quite realistic if tuned that way. Even so, she is still unmistakably Miku. I think converting her to Vocaloid 5 was considered a step too far by CFM.

Unlike other voicebank producers CFM had made the virtual idol/virtual singer a primary part of their marketing and design. (IA and CUL seem like the only ones that have done something similar on a smaller scale.) It was at a stage where Miku had a trademark sound, and changing that sound would be changing her as a whole. So CFM parted ways with Yamaha, as their goals ran counter to one another.

CFM now appears to focus on their software’s interface and integration. In interviews they have said they want to work toward making an all-in-one package for music production, hence their inclusion of a Piapro digital audio workstation (DAW). Their other focus is configuring their algorithms to produce a compromise sound between natural and synthetic. The changes have been imperfect and subject to many differing opinions. We will see in the future how closely CFM’s vision for the product and the current users’ preferences line up.

So that is my take on CFM’s move away from Yamaha. Thoughts?

___

Oct 8, 2019
I think we had this coming since the beginning of V3 era where Yamaha and CFM started to have different ideas and goals. CFM didn't agree with selling the editor and voicebanks separately, thus Piapro was born, it went downhill from there. Heck, it might even started earlier, like early V2 with act1/act2. It's been in the making far longer than people realize I think.

Yamaha and CFM had different ideas for their vocals, the engine updating halted their project several times and they couldn't release updates for their vbs ( although that's improved in the V5 era with Sora, the standards and Miku CHN recieving updates but it was too late probably ). It's a choice I understand and am not upset about but do I think it's something that their products benefited from?.....no, not really. At least I currently don't have a reason to believe that and I think so far only the contrary happened. Have they shown to improve their NT products with the ability to update? Definitely, but what does it matter when their Vocaloid counterparts remain superior. But who's to say it will stay that way? I wish CFM the best but I don't really see msyelf and the community defaulting to their NT versions ( although I am excited for Meiko and NT and Len NT has it's charm ).

editing this a lot cuz I cant write and keep thinking of more stuff lol

Last edited:

Ronny777

VOCALOID5 Tuner
Dec 10, 2020
Canada
soundcloud.com
I think it makes sense for the companies to separate when they become big enough to stand on their own. As a company, being associated to a big name like Yamaha meant that the product they would make would be automatically seen as high quality. So the spilt could have also been made as a financial decision when they started to make made a proper name for themselves inside the community.

Also, maybe its just me but when I tune Miku english in V5 I still feel like it sounds like it's her. Maybe I'm just too used to my version of Miku (At least I hope I've been tuning her in a way that I'n not making her unrecognizable.) I'm really used to the V5 UI so it makes me sad that if/when they make her an english update I'll have to use her with Piapro .

KingPapillon

vocal synth weirdo
Nov 2, 2020
The biggest advantage of Piapro NT, and the biggest reason I'm personally interested in Piapro NT, is the possibility of updating already existing voices and characters pretty much limitlessly. We've already seen a noticeable jump in quality between the very first beta Miku NT, and the current release Miku NT. Kaito NT already looks like its seeking to rectify issues previously seen in Kaito V3, and Luka NT already sounds like a more consistent quality voice over Luka V4x. My biggest hope for NT, is that we get to see some more experimental append voices for all of the Piapro characters, along with a more elaborated EVEC function. If they aren't going the route of realism, then the next logical route would be to expand the possibilities of character expression and ease of use for the userbase.

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
A redditor was asking why Yamaha would allow CFM to leave. As far as I can tell, CFM has been a studio doing contract work for Yamaha (not owned by Yamaha).

While Yamaha owns Vocaloid, CFM has always had the rights to the characters they created. Rather than sales of the software itself, I would assume that CFM was making their big money from licensing Miku's image for merchandise and promotional events. None of that merchandising money would have been going to Yamaha, so it isn't really that big of a loss for them having CFM leaving to do their own thing.

Besides, the Yamaha zaibatsu brings in something like four billion dollars a year in revenue. I doubt they'll even notice.

___

Oct 8, 2019
They had to take some hit just cuz Miku had a lot of people bringing into Vocaloid, to buy the newest editor just to use the newest Miku but then again people will most likely be defaulting to her vocaloid for quite some time so things will be staying in this odd limbo state I think, as far as jp vocaloids go. On the chinese side, Yamaha still has the Vsingers, especially Tianyi, to make up for Miku.

sketchesofpayne

Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
Earlier today I was reading about the Synth V software. They have four Chinese voicebanks scheduled for release. It will be interesting to see how things play out. It would also be interesting if Internet Co., Ltd. (Gackpo, GUMI, Otomachi Una) threw their hat into the ring. But I just assume they'll sit on the sidelines and wait for the dust to settle.

I don't know enough to guess whether they even have any incentive to upgrade their voicebanks. It has been, like, five years since they released their V4 versions (and I guess Lily fell behind a filing cabinet and has been lost ever since?).

___

Oct 8, 2019
Earlier today I was reading about the Synth V software. They have four Chinese voicebanks scheduled for release. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
Is this regarding Tianyi? Oh, Tianyi is probably bigger in China than Miku is in Japan, I pretty much adore all the chinese SynthVs but just because of how integrated Tianyi is in the chinese politics I don't really see her being overtaken anytime soon.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Ah! Are you referring to the "two Xingchen voicebanks and an unknown male voice" thing by chance? The Xingchen vocals thing is... complicated (due to contractual issues she couldn't be released on SynthV, leading to the creation of Xingchen Minus), and the aforementioned male vocal was released last September. Beyond that we don't have anything solidly announced for Chinese vocals, not to my knowledge anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)