• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unconventional opinions

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Not sure if this was the best place to put this, but it was meant to be a profile post until it became way too long. And considering this is an unpopular opinion related to music...

By that, I don't mean pull a Kraftwerk and just not deal with the media. I mean operate like some vocal synth producers in this scene and work underneath an online persona, just sticking with creating music and not getting involved with personal drama. I've been seeing way too many horror stories about celebrities being dickheads or exploiting their fame to keep a consistently positive mind about people, and it seems to be an alarmingly common problem within the entertainment industry in general, not just music. While celebrities being dicks has always been an issue, I think the internet has magnified this tenfold now, because you can't sweep away indiscretions like you could before the 90s. If you go on Reddit, there always seems to be a "Which celebrity is an asshole/gives shady vibes?" thread every week lol.

In general, I've noticed some Japanese indie artists value their anonymity a lot more than Westerners tend to, and I enjoy that dynamic. I don't need to know what a musician is doing in their personal life all the time - announcements like a marriage or a birth are great to hear about, but I don't need to know what they had for dinner on Instagram. It's also not hard to not be an asshole and belittle or take advantage of fans, which is still way too distressingly common, even with society continually moving on regarding sex and gender relations.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood recently and I'm sick of SJW types looking down on me and criticising my taste in everything because it's "problematic" in some way. While I do have a huge tendency to think in black and white about everything, even I learned long ago that people are flawed, not saints or gods, no matter what some crazier fans will tell you. And unfortunately, some people have exploited the adoration of those types of fans in the past, and that's obviously shitty as fuck. People who work in entertainment tend to do it as their day job - they're not any more special than you and I just because of what they do, and people really need to understand that perspective more.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
Not sure if this was the best place to put this, but it was meant to be a profile post until it became way too long. And considering this is an unpopular opinion related to music...

By that, I don't mean pull a Kraftwerk and just not deal with the media. I mean operate like some vocal synth producers in this scene and work underneath an online persona, just sticking with creating music and not getting involved with personal drama. I've been seeing way too many horror stories about celebrities being dickheads or exploiting their fame to keep a consistently positive mind about people, and it seems to be an alarmingly common problem within the entertainment industry in general, not just music. While celebrities being dicks has always been an issue, I think the internet has magnified this tenfold now, because you can't sweep away indiscretions like you could before the 90s. If you go on Reddit, there always seems to be a "Which celebrity is an asshole/gives shady vibes?" thread every week lol.

In general, I've noticed some Japanese indie artists value their anonymity a lot more than Westerners tend to, and I enjoy that dynamic. I don't need to know what a musician is doing in their personal life all the time - announcements like a marriage or a birth are great to hear about, but I don't need to know what they had for dinner on Instagram. It's also not hard to not be an asshole and belittle or take advantage of fans, which is still way too distressingly common, even with society continually moving on regarding sex and gender relations.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood recently and I'm sick of SJW types looking down on me and criticising my taste in everything because it's "problematic" in some way. While I do have a huge tendency to think in black and white about everything, even I learned long ago that people are flawed, not saints or gods, no matter what some crazier fans will tell you. And unfortunately, some people have exploited the adoration of those types of fans in the past, and that's obviously shitty as fuck. People who work in entertainment tend to do it as their day job - they're not any more special than you and I just because of what they do, and people really need to understand that perspective more.
honestly i never knew this could be an unpopular opinion but i wholly agree- even in a more general sense of just... like, people on the internet dont need to know you, at all. artist, musician, whatever kinda creator. i dont care one bit about artist's personal lives, i never seek it out anyways. people should remember its their right to not say things about themselves on the world wide web. you just dont need to do it! i think most people just brush it off once theyre an adult, like its only a thing to do when youre a child. but when youre a creator its way more important to look to doing that. a lot of artists i like barely even use social media too, which is a good thing to do depending on how famous you end up being. more often than not your life should remain personal and private... i just dont see a point in giving it out to the masses like a daily instagram feed. though clearly, it seems this is a trend because it makes fans yearn for a 'perfect life' and project through the artists... and additionally breed parasocial relationships that i loathe to see....

and i see people even look at mostly anonymous creators saying "but now i dont know anything about them- what if i find out theyre terrible???" well, you deal with it when it happens? the fact is if they are doing something horrible to the point of illegal, you will likely hear about it. if theyre doing something bad that has affected numerous people, someone will probably come out about it. fact is, you cant really judge yourself for not being aware of something you never knew of.... ive liked artists that out of no where, something comes up. and it sucks like it would with any other artist. so it shouldnt be assumed thats its better to be "transparent", when even those transparent can be horrible and manipulative with the life they project to fans over the ones who stay quiet.

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
and i see people even look at mostly anonymous creators saying "but now i dont know anything about them- what if i find out theyre terrible???" well, you deal with it when it happens? the fact is if they are doing something horrible to the point of illegal, you will likely hear about it. if theyre doing something bad that has affected numerous people, someone will probably come out about it. fact is, you cant really judge yourself for not being aware of something you never knew of.... ive liked artists that out of no where, something comes up. and it sucks like it would with any other artist. so it shouldnt be assumed thats its better to be "transparent", when even those transparent can be horrible and manipulative with the life they project to fans over the ones who stay quiet.
That kind of thing has sadly happened within the vocal synth community, but I consider it a small price to pay to keep things focused on the art rather than personal indiscretions.

jellosaur

New Fan
Mar 13, 2022
Maybe not so much unpopular opinions so much as unpopular tastes. Shows I like get canceled. Movies I like under-perform at the box office. Books I like remain obscure. Games I like get discontinued. Video games I like get shut down. Foods I like go out of production. Manga I like never get reprints.

This is an exaggeration, but it really feels this way sometimes.
feelsbadman. I feel the same way with things I enjoy, almost makes me feel defective sometimes like I don't understand why some things are popular with others. (the thing is usually in my case, 10 years later something I liked that was completely obscure becomes popular..>_< )

InstallGentoo

Aspiring Fan
May 7, 2021
OUTSIDE, it's not fun to have an infestation no matter how much I like them lmao
I sleep on the floor, had a infestation before with rats too. It's a pain to wake up in the middle of the night thinking there's something crawling on you or hear knawing in the walls. I'm just grateful they were not aggressive and scatter when light hits them.
Miku isn't "too popular"
Agree but that's just because I'm Biased. Should be the worlds largest religion.
I find ketchup and mayonnaise disgusting
Mayo, Yes. I don't know why the Japanese put Mayo on everything. I like my Lettice Onion and Tomato have that fresh taste with that very light stock dressing fast foods usually put on them in subs and burgers. Also salads with no dressing. Ketchup is good for potato and potato accessories only BBQ for Steak and Nuggets.

Oh, and unpopular opinion. I prefer mod accounts to be ignorable, I don't think it's right to force people to read x + y + z opinion. As a compromise separate mod accounts to be purely for business and mods use one user account as daily for opinions and other banter.

Last edited:

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018

Apologies for reviving an old thread with a reply to my own post, but I've been doing some more thinking on this subject since I originally wrote it up. I wouldn't say my views have done a complete 180, but I have developed more of a nuance regarding it.

I think the biggest mistake I made writing up the original post was assuming that all artists have to behave like saints, which is a flaw I've seen across all fandoms these days and admittedly even on this forum. Expecting people (and companies, in all fairness) to behave in the most pious way possible is just as flawed as assuming them to be innately pious to begin with. Looking at all the artists (not just musicians and bands, but also authors, mangaka, game creators and companies, TV/filmmakers and actors, animators, YouTubers, etc.) I like and follow/consume in some way, I think pretty much everyone I like has some kind of problematic aspect to them. In fact, there are certain scenes where people being problematic seems to be the rule rather than the exception, and if you can't accept that, you can't stick around for long within fandom circles.

I did say in the original post that I'm very aware that creators are humans, not gods, but I wanted to make my thoughts extra clear after a long time of thinking. If I were to go through a witch hunt on every single thing I like, I probably wouldn't have any entertainment to enjoy whatsoever. So I've conceded that there isn't much point in worrying about who is extremely problematic (to the point of doing possibly illegal things) and who isn't, because ultimately, people aren't perfect. If something comes out, I'll be disappointed, but eh, it's not really the fault of the fans if someone turns out to be an asshole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)