• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Vocaloid 5 English update

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I seriously doubt we'll ever see a pure Engloid get an update, if one does, I'll eat my hat (I know I said this before on VocaloidOtaku, but I haven't changed my mind). They've been selling Engloids since V1 (like 2004 or something) and we're STILL waiting for one of them to get updated? I won't hold my breath. S: However, I do think that maybe if Vocamerica got really popular, they'd update Dex or Daina since they're basically the mascots (unless their voice providers can't sing in enough different ways to make more banks).

I feel that Engloids aren't sold with the same intent as Japanese Vocaloids, the latter are sold mainly for their characters (like cute Miku) in order to sell merch, but Engloids are sold more for their voice itself and they lean for professional music makers (at least I think that's what they're trying to do, rather than market to otaku, that's why the Yamaha Engloids have no real character designs). English Vocaloid companies seem like they just release a new Vocaloid or two per major update (V1, V2, V3, V4) so they can cash in on that technological innovation for people not wanting older Vocaloids. None of the Engloids so far have been massively popular, so I think they're basically throwing ideas at a wall and hoping one sticks, if that makes sense. To my knowledge, the English Vocaloid companies literally only release their Engloids with 1 voice banks, too, and don't even attempt to do stuff like Power or Sweet (more than 1 bank), so they surely aren't worrying about variety per character, just the "base" voice over and over. (Sorry if this sounds kind of negative, it's just my humble opinion and I dunno how else to write it out.) It's probably cause it's too expensive.

VocaMew

That one Mew fan
Apr 8, 2018
twitter.com
@WintermintP I know it kinda difficult to swallow, and I do agree with you to an extent. I guess my argument is less "Zero-G should just do it" and more "It's not so easy to explain why Zero-G shouldn't do it."

@uncreepy I think you're absolutely right, and that's interesting to think about. I think the English Vocaloid companies underestimate how much an American market can eat up a character. In fact, even if it was only for a hot minute, the first English Vocaloid to do notably well was SONiKA, who was also the first to truly have a character. It's very strange to think about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)