• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Question Vocaloid tuning

___

Oct 8, 2019
I'd like to ask for some vocaloid tuning tips for a person who usually uses UTAU.

You see, I think my tuning sounds better in UTAU than in Vocaloid. It's night and day. Seeing as UTAU was my very first voice synth and the one I'm used to the most I find working in Vocaloid kinda difficult.

One thing I noticed about Vocaloid is that the pitch bends are more sensitive than in UTAU, even if I bring the pitch bend sensitivity down. Are there other things I should look out for and stop having "utau approach" to?

Did you ever have this problem? How did you overcome it?

Reactions: peaches2217
Sep 21, 2019
Oh, good gosh. I can relate to this problem so well as someone who started out using UTAU and learned the hard way the Vocaloid is a lot different. Heck, I still find Vocaloid difficult to work with when it comes to altering pitchbends! (I wish they'd let you freely move the pitchbends like you can in UTAU.) >.>

Imo, you're absolutely okay to stick with an UTAU approach to tuning, but I recommend taking advantage of the ability to split notes in Vocaloid for slightly easier pitch control. (For example, if you want a pitch bend at the end of the note, set the note size to 1/32 or 1/64 depending on how small you want to be able to splice the notes. Then drag the "-" note(s) up or down depending on whether you want an upward or downward pitchbend).

Also, I highly recommend taking advantage of the brightness parameter; it's especially useful for improving vocal clarity when a Vocaloid is singing at the lower end of their range.

I can't offer a lot of help, 'cause I still have this issue with tuning as well, but hopefully I was able to help a little bit! Maybe someone more experienced might be able to offer their two cents. ^^

Reactions: peaches2217

___

Oct 8, 2019
Oh, good gosh. I can relate to this problem so well as someone who started out using UTAU and learned the hard way the Vocaloid is a lot different. Heck, I still find Vocaloid difficult to work with when it comes to altering pitchbends! (I wish they'd let you freely move the pitchbends like you can in UTAU.) >.>

Imo, you're absolutely okay to stick with an UTAU approach to tuning, but I recommend taking advantage of the ability to split notes in Vocaloid for slightly easier pitch control. (For example, if you want a pitch bend at the end of the note, set the note size to 1/32 or 1/64 depending on how small you want to be able to splice the notes. Then drag the "-" note(s) up or down depending on whether you want an upward or downward pitchbend).

Also, I highly recommend taking advantage of the brightness parameter; it's especially useful for improving vocal clarity when a Vocaloid is singing at the lower end of their range.

I can't offer a lot of help, 'cause I still have this issue with tuning as well, but hopefully I was able to help a little bit! Maybe someone more experienced might be able to offer their two cents. ^^
Yeah! Manipluating pitchbends is really nice in UTAU and I even see people who don't really use the editor praising UTAU for it. It's little odd no other editor has mimicked UTAU in this aspect. Only Cevio is kind ooof similar but idk. I haven't really used it when I had the trial.

Oh don't you worry I abuse the heck out of the brightness parameter ahaha.

Thank you for the tips!

I also think it comes down to practice and learning through trial and error so I will do that for sure. I'll also look into some vsqx' to see how other people tune for reference.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
Sep 21, 2019
I'll also look into some vsqx' to see how other people tune for reference.
Oh, yeah! I should have mentioned that!
This is one VSQX I recommend referencing! The dl is in the description of the video I linked inside the spoiler. :)
(The author of the VSQX is known for her tuning skills, so this VSQX has some pretty nice tuning and is quite useful if you ever attempt to make a Vocaloid talk as well. I know how painstaking that can be. orz)

• Love
Reactions: ___

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)