• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Vocaloids in non-vocaloid marketed media?

static-oceans

I feel so high in the blue, blue sky
Dec 2, 2019
We all know about Oliver Being the voice of Puppycat from "Bee and Puppycat", or AVANNA being used in Porter Robinson's album "Worlds", but what are some other times a vocaloid was actually used for something that wasn't geared directly to the community?

Some other examples:

LOLA being used in the OST for the movie "Paprika" by Satoshi Kon (this is also a great example of pre-miku vocaloid music, something that interests me a ton as well.)

Defoko can most definitely be heard about 30 seconds into "My Time" by Bo En. I believe she can be heard in other songs on this album as well but i'm not entirely sure.

When i first watched Bee and Puppycat and heard Oliver's voice, or when I listened to My Time for the first time and heard Defoko in the background, I got so excited. this topic has interested me for years. I'd love to see more examples of this!

Ceres

「会いたかった」
May 13, 2018
Ohhh, I love this topic! I love it when you pause a sec to think 'Hey! Could it be?' when you are enjoying something you don't expect Vocaloid to be in. It makes you really excited, you know?
To start off this actually something I haven't seen anyone report...? But I wanted to talk about for a long time.

I'm 99% sure that's Miku's voice at the beginning from the ~00:07 mark to 00:20 Considering his previous usage and the time it was performed I think it fits perfectly!
Also, I'm pretty sure Mr. Hirasawa has actually used MEIKO too but I sadly can't find the song again after these years, maybe the video got deleted? :( I've been meaning to listen to it again but no luck. Many people thought MEIKO was the VB used in Paprika until he confirmed it was LOLA, but that took a while back in the day, it seems he doesn't specify until asked which isn't something people have done with these performances... :kaito_lili:

To change the topic Luka Megurine was used in one of the songs of a Homestuck album, Alterniabound.

And speaking of Luka... Maybe I might be the only one but I always thought that Toriel's voice from Undertale sounded somewhat like her. Since it was recently found out San's voice is an extract from Patrick in the Spongebob series maybe Toby Fox used a sample of voice Luka's for Toriel...? I would love if it could be confirmed :luka_lili:

Lastly, something more straight forward, Miku sang an ending of Watamote.

Which considering the type of anime Watamote is maybe it was somewhat geared towards us Like they knew what they were doing but Utsu-P getting the recognition he deserves... I'm all in for that (?) it was pretty amazing for 2013 honestly.

There are some more anime examples but I don't know if those count haha since anime and Vocaloid kinda overlap and if only visuals count too since there have been a few cameos here and there over the years!

static-oceans

I feel so high in the blue, blue sky
Dec 2, 2019
Ohhh, I love this topic! I love it when you pause a sec to think 'Hey! Could it be?' when you are enjoying something you don't expect Vocaloid to be in. It makes you really excited, you know?
To start off this actually something I haven't seen anyone report...? But I wanted to talk about for a long time.

I'm 99% sure that's Miku's voice at the beginning from the ~00:07 mark to 00:20 Considering his previous usage and the time it was performed I think it fits perfectly!
Also, I'm pretty sure Mr. Hirasawa has actually used MEIKO too but I sadly can't find the song again after these years, maybe the video got deleted? :( I've been meaning to listen to it again but no luck. Many people thought MEIKO was the VB used in Paprika until he confirmed it was LOLA, but that took a while back in the day, it seems he doesn't specify until asked which isn't something people have done with these performances... :kaito_lili:

To change the topic Luka Megurine was used in one of the songs of a Homestuck album, Alterniabound.

And speaking of Luka... Maybe I might be the only one but I always thought that Toriel's voice from Undertale sounded somewhat like her. Since it was recently found out San's voice is an extract from Patrick in the Spongebob series maybe Toby Fox used a sample of voice Luka's for Toriel...? I would love if it could be confirmed :luka_lili:

Lastly, something more straight forward, Miku sang an ending of Watamote.

Which considering the type of anime Watamote is maybe it was somewhat geared towards us Like they knew what they were doing but Utsu-P getting the recognition he deserves... I'm all in for that (?) it was pretty amazing for 2013 honestly.

There are some more anime examples but I don't know if those count haha since anime and Vocaloid kinda overlap and if only visuals count too since there have been a few cameos here and there over the years!

Oh, these are some great examples! thank you!
yes, that does sound a lot like miku!! Susumu Hirasawa was considered sort of a vocaloid god back in the day i believe, so no surprise there.

Speaking of unconfirmed miku appearances, I've heard the rumor that this fake anime opening in Regular Show might be using her, although i can't get a clear enough listen to confirm it, it definitely sounds like it could be:

I would never have found the homestuck one, thank you! and now that i'm listening to it, Toriel does seem to resemble Luka a lot. Maybe if we chopped Luka's voice up similarly we could confirm it *thinking emoji*

I'm mostly looking for vocal uses! and anime isn't off the table at all! as long as the target demographic wasn't vocaloid fans i'm interested in seeing it.

again, great additions ^^

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
Here's the fun fact: on Himouto! Umaru-chan (both the original manga and its anime adaption) there's the parody version of Hatsune Miku called Patsune Migu.
And the funny thing is that was before Aimi Tanaka (the voice actress of Doma Umaru) became the voice for Otomachi Una.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
The only one I can think of off the top of my head (that hasn't already been mentioned) is Kill Jill, but I don't know if that would count since everyone knows about that one. Also, Miku showed up (voiced by Fujita Saki, iirc) in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (about 33 seconds in), and you can see the other Cryptonloids (sans Luka, and in mismatched colors) standing in line before then.

Reactions: static-oceans

Ceres

「会いたかった」
May 13, 2018
Oh, these are some great examples! thank you!
yes, that does sound a lot like miku!! Susumu Hirasawa was considered sort of a vocaloid god back in the day i believe, so no surprise there.
Funny enough after years of looking I finally found the song featuring MEIKO again! Really unexpected, didn't finding examples of things you talked about recently have a name...? o.O In any case:

She comes in at 1:37

And I found another usage of her from the same Live show

Starting from 2:59, it was a nice surprise since I hadn't heard this version of CYBORG before and it's one of my favorites!
Fun fact the show was held in early 2007 so it predates Miku c:

Anyway, I just remembered another example and is that Miku's vocals were featured in No More Heroes 2!

Reactions: peaches2217

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)