• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

What do you not like about MMD?/MMD Rant Thread

A tiny mouse

Little squeak
Apr 8, 2018
Annoyed about something MMD-related? Have some pet peeves about the community? Feel free to post it here!
As with any discussion/debate thread, there will be some rules to abide by:
  • If you have an issue with an user or another, keep them anonymous
  • Do not share passwords, download links against the creators' wishes
  • Collecting identifying/contact information from MMDers or "doxxing" is not tolerated here, even if said MMDer is a notorious rule-breaker or a general bad apple in the community
  • In addition to the previous rule, absolutely do not turn this thread into a "lolcow" thread
  • Try to be civil
  • The general forum rules apply here, too
So, without further ado, here are my pet peeves about MMD and the MMDC in general:
  • The fact that there's no integrated or dedicated character builder for MMD
  • TDA everywhere
  • Racism The fact that with my current rate of learning, I will never attain to speak perfect Japanese in a reasonable amount of time (even though it's needed for some models and most importantly, writing better readmes and descriptions and contribute to the future of Xismo)
  • Hacked English PMXEs being passed around freely. The fact that the author is practically unreachable does not help
  • The fact that I can never get rich on MMD (or can I?)
  • The persistent myth that all 3DCG material, user-generated mods included, is free to use and distribute in the MMDC
  • The fact that the MMD subforum here is pretty much dead

Sep 21, 2019
Oooh! Great idea!

Some of my pet peeves:
  • Models with dozens upon dozens of issues being distributed (y'all, the amount of times I've had to go back and spend hours to fix very simple things like bone structure is ridiculous)
  • Redistributing models without the original author's permission
  • TDA. EVERYWHERE. I CAN"T ESCAPE THEM. (I use TDA sometimes myself, but geez, I wish there was a little more variety.)
  • Poorly done TDA edits (especially ones with over saturated textures.)
  • Having to log into DA just download something (I hate that website)
  • DA/Mediafire/4shared download links
  • MMD videos that leave all effects at their default settings (it's okay. I did that back in my old noob days.)
  • Broken download links
  • Motion/model/etc. no longer available (R.I.P. my chances of ever getting that LAT 13km Tei. Cri. ;-;)
  • BUGGY FRICKING PHYSICS (hair is manageable, but skirts? Oh god, I basically have to get those fixed before I upload or I'm going to be met with a flood of perverted comments.)

Reactions: TheStarPalace
Jan 23, 2020
Everything,
  • how ridiculously young and petty the userbase is.
  • TDA
  • Deviant Art
  • Sims 4 conversions
  • Motion data users as in (only use others motion data and has 100k subs).
  • Youtube algorithm.
  • Racism
  • Biasness and lack of creative expression
  • No solid MMD community hubs
  • Mean and Catty behavior towards newer users or those who are obviously mentally ill.
  • The only way to actually get popular is to motion trace
  • MMD is technically dead
  • My will to use MMD is dead
  • I'm unable to let it go no matter how hard I try

Jisenku

womp womp
Nov 17, 2020
idk anymore
jisenku.carrd.co
  • The fact that an idiot like me could get access to it and make ONE really really bad MMD lmao... 7th grade was a nightmare trying to get that rigged up ASAP and not knowing how to do it, and to this day I still cringe at it.
  • How people can't get a lot of help with MMD due to the community not being easily accessible.
  • MMD almost made me buy a Kinect
  • Skirt physics are painful to look at.
  • Does nobody want to get their MMD motion & models to something more suitable like Blender or something?!
  • How compared to other programs, MMD was the easiest for me to use, but it feels really low quality.

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Honestly the most annoying thing about the mmdc for me now is how it's almost impossible to find passwords for anything from the Japanese community. I get that this is because of people not following modelers' terms of use, but when I was a kid I could download a ton of stuff off bowlroll, but now I spend 3 hours looking for passwords and only find it for one model. God help you if you look for models from fandoms outside vocaloid, they'll have you memorize a characters zodiac sign, favorite time of day, or a specific quote just for the password.

Reactions: Jisenku

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I've honestly forgot MMD was even still a thing because I dropped out of that side of the fandom years ago... I used to play around with it as a teen, but I could never get the hang of actually animating stuff in it because the learning curve was extremely steep (and a massive pain in the ass if you had dyscalculia like me, because of trying to work with the multiple axes and stuff). So I just used the screencap feature and made silly pictures for DeviantART. :tongue:

Then there was the actual MMD fandom... Holy shit, the amount of drama! And unlike the music side of the Vocaloid fandom, where drama tends to stick to one language community (I.e. if something kicks off in the English-speaking fandom, only English speakers tend to hear about it), drama quickly spreads between the Japanese and Western communities, mainly because of issues with models (like people editing them when they shouldn't, and misusing them for inappropriate material). It doesn't help that like the music fandom, the MMD fandom is made up of Japanese adults and teenage Westerners, so the general impression I had of the Western MMD fandom was one of immaturity. This is partly why I fell out of using MMD completely (the other being myself spending most of my time on college and uni work, so I couldn't do any fun stuff like MMD as much anymore).

Jisenku

womp womp
Nov 17, 2020
idk anymore
jisenku.carrd.co
Maybe it's low quality because serious 3D applications like Blender or Maya need processing power which the computer of the average Vocaloid producer lacks?
I mean I'm talking more of the UI itself, when you import nice models in MMD you can get some really nice results. The UI just feels janky the last time I used it.

I had to look up what a lolcow meant because I never heard of that phrase before. XD

StrawberryDemon

Evil but sweet
Jan 3, 2021
Annoyed about something MMD-related? Have some pet peeves about the community? Feel free to post it here!
As with any discussion/debate thread, there will be some rules to abide by:
  • If you have an issue with an user or another, keep them anonymous
  • Do not share passwords, download links against the creators' wishes
  • Collecting identifying/contact information from MMDers or "doxxing" is not tolerated here, even if said MMDer is a notorious rule-breaker or a general bad apple in the community
  • In addition to the previous rule, absolutely do not turn this thread into a "lolcow" thread
  • Try to be civil
  • The general forum rules apply here, too
So, without further ado, here are my pet peeves about MMD and the MMDC in general:
  • The fact that there's no integrated or dedicated character builder for MMD
  • TDA everywhere
  • Racism The fact that with my current rate of learning, I will never attain to speak perfect Japanese in a reasonable amount of time (even though it's needed for some models and most importantly, writing better readmes and descriptions and contribute to the future of Xismo)
  • Hacked English PMXEs being passed around freely. The fact that the author is practically unreachable does not help
  • The fact that I can never get rich on MMD (or can I?)
  • The persistent myth that all 3DCG material, user-generated mods included, is free to use and distribute in the MMDC
  • The fact that the MMD subforum here is pretty much dead
that it does not work on chrome and that it’s not on steam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)