• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Question What should my first vocaloid be?

Jumanan

New Fan
May 14, 2020
Hi everyone! I’ve been a vocaloid fan since 2011 and for the past few months the idea of actually using the software myself began surfacing in my mind. I don’t have any musical knowledge and my highest interest is making covers, but I’m willing to learn and make original stuff in the long run. The question is: which vocaloid should I get? I’m torn between Fukase (for having an english vb and hearing that he’s easy to use) and the Kagamines (for also having an english vb and being 2, but I’m not sure about their ease of use). Also, is vocaloid 5 worth getting? Can piapro studio take it’s place?
That’s it! Sorry if my english was bad lol, I have so much to ask and just now found a place where people can answer <3

___

Oct 8, 2019
Also, is vocaloid 5 worth getting? Can piapro studio take it’s place?
Depends on the situation! There are cons and pros, I could go in more detail if youd like as I use it frequently but seeing as youre just starting out, V5 would be too big of a commitment in your place in my opinion. Its a very expensive and heavy software and while Piapro Studio cannot replace V5 it can replace V4 which is still a very capable software and more light, I personally think you should test the waters out with Piapro Studio ( thus getting the Kagamines and Fukase is compatible with the software too so you could get him later! ) first and then decide from there. But beware, V5 voicebanks do not work in PS so if youd ever wanted to get one youd need V5.

I can give you info on V5 if youd like!

And are you aware of Fukase's license? His is more strict comapred to a lot of vocaloids out there! However his english is higher quality than the Kagamines' but their japanese is said to be good quality and easy for beginners.

Last edited:

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Hi! I agree with patuk. Get the Kagamines first.

Vocaloid Editor:
  • Yamaha discontinued Vocaloid Editor 4 when V5 came out.
  • To get Vocaloid Editor 5, you HAVE to buy either Standard (comes with Amy, Chris, Kaori, Ken, costs $225) or Premium (comes with Amy, Chris, Kaori, Ken, Cyber Diva, Cyber Songman, VY1, VY2, costs $360).
  • Vocaloid 5 Editor is standalone OR can be used as a VST in a DAW (you have to buy your own DAW)
  • Some people complain Vocaloid 5 Editor is very slow depending on how strong your computer is
Piapro Studio:
  • Piapro Studio comes paired with V4 Crypton Vocaloids (Rin/Len, Miku, Luka), doesn't come with Kaito/Meiko.
  • Piapro Studio can only be used as a VST in a DAW. Crypton gives you Studio One 3 Artist Edition to use as a DAW for free.
If you want the Kagamines, there are different options:
1) Kagamine Rin/Len V4X Bundle: Comes with Piapro Studio (equivalent to Vocaloid Editor), Studio One 3, Japanese & English voice banks, costs about $205
2) Kagamine Rin/Len V4X: Comes with Piapro Studio (equivalent to Vocaloid Editor), Studio One 3, JAPANESE ONLY voice banks (no English), costs about $164
3) Kagamine Rin/Len English: ONLY ENGLISH voice banks, does NOT come with DAW or Piapro Studio. If you buy this, you can't use them until you buy an editor somewhere! Costs about $123

If you want Vocaloid Editor 4 or older, you have to buy it used (eBay or something). Vocaloid Editor 4 is similar to Piapro Studio, except it is standalone and can not be used in a DAW.

Your options:
1) Buy Kagamine Rin/Len V4X Bundle (to get their English voices and Piapro Studio) = $205, get Fukase later = +$126
2) Buy Vocaloid Editor 5 (at least $225) and then buy Kagamine Rin/Len English ($123) or Fukase ($126)
3) Buy Vocaloid Editor 4 used and then buy Rin/Len English or Fukase (Vocaloid Editor 4 is expensive now unless you win a lucky auction)

Sep 21, 2019
I also agree with Uncreepy and Patuk! As someone who started out with the Kagamines as their first Vocaloid, I can really say their Japanese at least is good for beginners! (Never used their English, though. Sorry!)
I recommend the bundle if you want to make Japanese covers at all because they come with a DAW (Studio One) you can use for mixing your covers and Piapro Studio! (Trying to get a copy of Vocaloid4 can cost a fortune because it’s retired and rare now.)
If you have any questions about them, just let me know and I’d be happy to answer!

By the way, welcome to Vocaverse and thank you for joining us!

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
First of all, welcome! We're glad to have you!

Second, adding on to what everyone else has said, the Kagamines are excellent beginner voicebanks (their V4Xs, anyway; later on, if you want something harder, look into their original voicebanks). Their Japanese banks are nice and easy to work with, and lots of fun to learn with! Having worked with their English banks, they're a lot harder, but still enjoyable if you're up for a challenge. Rin's English bank is the easier of the two.

In short, I highly recommend them! If you'd like their physical copy, you can get them through Big Fish Audio or eBay or Amazon (do be careful when ordering from eBay/Amazon though! Make sure they're listed as New and Unopened!). If you're okay just downloading them, download them through Sonicwire for sure, which Uncreepy linked.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! We're here to assist in your journey!

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Glad to help! Also, if I may?

You seem interested in getting an English voicebank. Of the ones I've tried, Miku's English is probably the easiest and most beginner-friendly. Avanna is another good option, if you're looking for a native English bank! She's easier than, say, Oliver or Dex. My personal favorite to use is Eleanor Forte, a free vocal you can download for Synthesizer V. Her phonetic system is different from Vocaloid's and takes some more tinkering with, but she's shockingly easy to work with once you get the hang of her.

(Also, don't worry about just wanting to make covers! That's all I do. It's a perfectly valid reason to get started!)

Jumanan

New Fan
May 14, 2020
Glad to help! Also, if I may?

You seem interested in getting an English voicebank. Of the ones I've tried, Miku's English is probably the easiest and most beginner-friendly. Avanna is another good option, if you're looking for a native English bank! She's easier than, say, Oliver or Dex. My personal favorite to use is Eleanor Forte, a free vocal you can download for Synthesizer V. Her phonetic system is different from Vocaloid's and takes some more tinkering with, but she's shockingly easy to work with once you get the hang of her.

(Also, don't worry about just wanting to make covers! That's all I do. It's a perfectly valid reason to get started!)
What kept me away from getting miku was hearing that her english is hard to use so that’s so good to know :0! I might try her out too, thank you <3

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
She's got a trial, I know, so definitely mess around with it and see for yourself! What's easy for one person might not be for another, so it's always good to try for yourself. Best of luck to you!

Sep 21, 2019
As someone who occasionally uses her, I second Miku English being easy and I also highly recommend her! Of course, like Peaches said, what's easy for one person may not be easy for another, so do play around with her trial!
(Also, I agree with Peaches that making covers is a perfectly good reason for getting a Vocaloid! It's fun to take a song and be able to personalize it with a Vocaloid you like. It's what I and a lot of others like to do! <3)

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
As a fan of English vocaloid and owns most of them, I wouldn't recommend Miku English as your first English vocaloid unless you love miku and is willing to learn. I do think luka v4 has one of the better crypton English voice banks. I do think a crypton vocaloid is probably the easiest to get into because of piapro and studio one but I would say hold off a week to see if you want nt (the new vocal synthesizer that crypton is developing). If you are looking for a English vocaloid I would suggest avanna or any of the newer zero G vocaloids they go on sale regularly and you can pick them up around $50 and are some of the best English voice banks. They are a very good choice for a second voice bank once you have the editor/ piapro.

Ps.
Also would recommend trying synth v and neutrino they are great free alternatives to see if you really want to invest in vocaloid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumanan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)