• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Why Happi?

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I've sort of wondered about this for awhile. Happi coats seem to be really popular concert merchandise. People get disappointed when they aren't offered, and disappointed when they sell out. But why do people like them?

I'm really not trying to say anything for/against them, I'd just like to understand.

It's hard to tell from the pictures--are they substantial material, or are they thinner and more decorative? As clothing, I would guess from the pictures I've seen that their primary job is just to add a fandom flair to whatever regular clothes you're wearing underneath.

Or, I think a happi coat is a more traditional Japanese garment. So maybe there's sort of a cultural aspect to people's enjoyment of them?

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
This is my tinfoil hat theory on it based on my own opinion + research on the Japanese happi coat.

The happi is a lightweight coat that is basically only worn for festivals and used to have the crest of the wearer's family/business on the back (the wearer would usually layer it on top of other clothes to protect the clothing beneath). Based on this, it might be plausible to imagine that people would wear a Crypton-themed happi to celebrate a concert they're attending and to identify them as being part of the Crypton fan group.

Another reason they might be popular is that they are cheaper than something like a kimono, so that would give otaku an affordable Japanese souvenir.

Another reason is that it might look different/more unique than just a printed T-shirt. Another perk of the happi is that it can be worn like a bathrobe around the house.

Edit: I realize I said "another" a lot, but I can't think of any other words at the moment to spice up my sentences.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobius017

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
As uncreepy said, happi is a traditional Japanese clothing worn at festivals. Happis are not really worn outside festivals. I believe that happis as concert gear have roots in this heritage. For fans, a live concert is basically a festival of sort.

The happis sold as concert merch are very thin, since you'll be sweating anyway when cheering (traditional ones tend to be thicker). I feel that at a Miku concert, happis are the sign of the more "hardcore" fans. Happis aren't the cheapest thing around (Magical Mirai happis are 6000 yen), so buying something you'll only wear during concerts and possibly other Vocaloid events, is a way of showing your dedication. A true fan also buys a new happi every event to wear only for the live shows of that event (same applies to muffler towels). Through that, I think there's the aspect of showing your belonging to the group of (the more dedicated) fans too.

I have happis from all 3 Magical Mirais I've gone to, and have only worn them for concerts. There's really no other viable use for them to be honest. They're designed to be worn open and are about hip-length (unless you're very short) so you can't really utilize them as housewear or bath robes. Of course you can wear them at home, but I don't really see a good reason to do so. For me they are souvenirs that remind me of the event I've used them.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
They're designed to be worn open and are about hip-length (unless you're very short) so you can't really utilize them as housewear or bath robes. Of course you can wear them at home, but I don't really see a good reason to do so. For me they are souvenirs that remind me of the event I've used them.
Haha, I saw two websites suggesting to wear them as bathrobes, I was imagining in my head some dude lounging around in pajama pants with a happi on like some sort of hobo-chic-looking otaku.

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@uncreepy, @hamano: Thanks a lot, you two! The connection between happis and festivals you mentioned goes a long way toward explaining how they became concert merch, and why concertgoers buy them. I can see the angle of it signifying a more hardcore fan, too. (Though personally I'm not sure if I'd buy one; if they're as thin as I think they are, I'd be kind of concerned about tearing it.)

Ha ha, I was thinking they might not make the best bathrobes. I mean, those things are pretty short and thin, and don't people wearing a bathrobe generally forego wearing long pants?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)