• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Anime/manga you dislike?

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
We have threads on here about anime and manga we like, but what about the ones we hate?

To give some quick personal examples - I've never liked Axis Powers Hetalia, mainly because I didn't find it funny as a parodic depiction of history. Plus, the fandom used to be obnoxious and awful back in the earlier part of this decade, around 2010-2012? Fortunately, the fandom seems to have calmed down a lot now, because I don't hear many horror stories about the Hetalia fandom anymore. (Yes, I know not liking a fandom is not a great reason for hating something, but Hetalia used to be infamous for attracting the worst kinds of weeaboos into its fandom).

I also could never get into Lucky Star back in the day, and I still can't now (but I still like some of the memes that spawned from the anime). It just bored me.

I used to like Haruhi Suzumiya, but not anymore. Mainly because Haruhi was a huge bitch and I never liked how she molested Mikuru but never seemed to get punished for it. :rolleyes:

In general, I'm not fond of shounen anime apart from a select few like Angelic Layer. Related, I also don't like anime that go on for a ton of episodes to the point that it's hard to watch the entire series from the beginning (again, apart from a few like Sailor Moon, and even the original 90s anime knew when to stop).

I also don't like most harem anime, either because the main protagonists are one-note and unlikable (making you wonder how they managed to be surrounded by attractive girls or guys), or one or more of the harem members are assholes (Naru from Love Hina is the most obvious example).

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I really don't watch anime as much as I used to but I remember really not liking Ouran High School Host Club and Angel Beats for some reason. It's been a good number of years since I watched them though so I can't even remember why.

Vani ❤ Candy

❤ Rana and Teki are my babies ❤
Apr 8, 2018
in a box under a bridge
not a fan of Sword Art Online, it started out alright but it just got painfully boring. the abridged series is fantastic though hahaha

School Days was a complete trainwreck in my opinion, what a travesty

Reactions: Pomelo

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
I really don't watch anime as much as I used to but I remember really not liking Ouran High School Host Club and Angel Beats for some reason.
I've thought about watching Ouran sometimes, but the fandom annoys me because everyone seems to miss the point that it was supposed to be a shoujo parody, and the fans treat it like it's an ordinary shoujo played straight.

I've been meaning to watch Angel Beats for ages since it's a Key adaptation (and I loved the AIR, Clannad and Kanon anime adaptations), but since a lot of people praise it, I have a nasty feeling I'd walk away from Angel Beats with disappointment. ^^;

not a fan of Sword Art Online, it started out alright but it just got painfully boring. the abridged series is fantastic though hahaha

School Days was a complete trainwreck in my opinion, what a travesty
I don't like SAO either, but mainly because as it's currently one of the first anime a newbie fan comes across, the fandom tends to praise it as one of the best anime ever when it's really not (and from my observations, even some fans change opinion on SAO once they see more anime. I do understand the reaction though, since I used to have a similar opinion on Elfen Lied, but now I acknowledge that it's really flawed and that's because I've watched a lot more anime now).

I think the School Days anime was supposed to be terrible lol.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I've been meaning to watch Angel Beats for ages since it's a Key adaptation (and I loved the AIR, Clannad and Kanon anime adaptations), but since a lot of people praise it, I have a nasty feeling I'd walk away from Angel Beats with disappointment. ^^;
I think the amount of praise it got might've been what turned me off from it. I went in with too high of expectations, so when it was just mediocre it made me ten times more disappointed.

Reactions: Blue Of Mind

dubsteppin

It is your duty to be happy!
Apr 8, 2018
RVA
Angel Beats suffers from only being 13 episodes. I still loved it but if got the full treatment like the other Key adaptations, it would've been even better.

I will also always forever stand by my take that School Days is the most closely related to real life school life anime. Until the endings and boat trips anyway lol.

BLANAero

Watakushi, Aero de gozaimasu!
Apr 8, 2018
Montréal, Canada
The only anime I started watching and that I didn't finish because I didn't like them are
Beach 50ish
Naruto 30ish
One Piece 10ish
you may see a pattern, however I watched all the Fairy tail anime and never I felt like it was becoming bad/ stretching so IDK

and I didn't quite like those
Madoka Magika
Neon Genesis Evangelion
But in the same time, I loved them but in a different way so

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
I used to be one of those obnoxious Hetalia fans back in the day lol.

In general I just tend to avoid stuff I know I don't like (mechs, ninja stuff, most fantasy, most sci-fi, really action-heavy super hero type shows).
Uhhh an anime/manga series that I think had a lot of potential but ended up sucking is Elfen Lied. I really like dark edgy media that focuses on the subconscious cruelty of humanity, but this mostly just ended up being TOO edgy with senseless shock violence/gore. The anime is just all-around bad (besides the gorgeous opening), and the manga is slightly better but not by much tbh, and also has its own problems.

Also was very outspoken about disliking Higurashi based on the anime, but my opinion is kinda changing now that I'm trying out the VN (but still don't like the anime).

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
Uhhh an anime/manga series that I think had a lot of potential but ended up sucking is Elfen Lied. I really like dark edgy media that focuses on the subconscious cruelty of humanity, but this mostly just ended up being TOO edgy with senseless shock violence/gore. The anime is just all-around bad (besides the gorgeous opening), and the manga is slightly better but not by much tbh, and also has its own problems.
Tone down the shock violence and nudity (srsly, why the naked underage girls) and focus more on the natures of both humanity and the Diclonius, and I reckon Elfen Lied could have become a horror anime classic. Instead, we have a series that's sharply love it or hate it, with only a cult following for the fans that do love it.

Also was very outspoken about disliking Higurashi based on the anime, but my opinion is kinda changing now that I'm trying out the VN (but still don't like the anime).
I liked the anime at first when it was my first introduction to Higurashi, but after reading the manga adaptation, I realised the anime sucked because it couldn't squeeze in every single detail mentioned in all the main arcs from the VN. The art is also miles away better in the manga than in the anime, even though the manga is drawn by different artists for the separate arcs. But you can blame Studio Deen for the QUALITY issues in the anime lol.

Jun 3, 2018
In general, I either dislike or hate anime that seperates from novel/manga/game etc. at some point. Unless it closes plotholes or something like that, It's very annoying. Usually worse than the novel/manga/game etc. too.

I dislike Neon Genesis Evangelion. Main characters are very dysfunctional and I mean disturbingly much, and in general, It's just very depressing to look at and not as "deep" as people claim it to be. I do like Rebuild of Evangelion though.

I hate anime that deliberately aim fujoshi. I mean I'm pretty fine with hot boys being gay to each other but I swear those anime cover more fanservice than straight stuff total. They usually try to do "Yaoi what?" which is extra annoying.

As a person who enjoys yuri, I haven't seen a good yuri anime yet. That Citrus one was awful for example.

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
As a person who enjoys yuri, I haven't seen a good yuri anime yet. That Citrus one was awful for example.
God, I can't stand Citrus besides the pretty art (the manga- didn't even bother with the anime tbh since I dropped the manga).

But yeah, agreed. There's some great yuri manga out there, but not much in terms of anime. Like, off the top of my head...I think I kinda liked Blue Drop, and maybe Sasameki Koto? I know I've watched the latter but I don't really remember anything about it... Oh, and Utena if you wanna count that.
I have high hopes for Bloom Into You and the Kase-san adaptations!

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
I guess I can say I've come to dislike the magical girl genre. It seems lately, (Save for precure) at LOT of them go for the madoka style of things.
Yeah, I'm fed up of the grimdark Madoka ripoffs too. I miss the idealistic, clearly-shoujo anime and manga. :(

D

Discounted account

Tiger & Bunny and Watatmote, to me is depressing. Tiger & Bunny, hate how Tiger been treated and watching watamote, depressing to watch cos Tomoko want to become what she can't and things go wrong. She seem to be unnotices at school but maybe it better than being builled.

Heruru Meruru

THE v@SHFUCKER Dearly Stars
Sword Art Online, Oreimo, Eromanga Sensei, and 80% of isekai light novels and their adaptations make me want to vomit.

Also can't stand Umaru-chan for the reasons stated above. It's just a brat throwing temper tantrums until she gets her way, I don't see how that's entertainment.

I was so excited when Junji Ito collection was announced, as a huge fan of his works, but then it ended up being another shitty Studio Deen adaptation. Why did it have to be Deen?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)