• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Characterizing Hatsune Miku - (Who is she, really?)

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
(This started as a response to another discussion thread by @REDD that I kept expanding until it needed its own write-up.)
miku-meta-character.jpg
[via pixiv のくはし]

I think part of the difficulty in characterizing Miku is due to her being more of a meta-character instead of a character in the traditional sense.

From the beginning Miku has been portrayed as being self-aware of her simultaneous existence as software, a virtual idol, and community shared character. Some of her earliest songs are from her own perspective, with lyrics about herself learning to sing as each producer learns to use the Vocaloid software. She is commonly portrayed working alongside her producer and encouraging them not to give up and to work toward their dreams and goals. A few examples:
  • Hajimete no Oto (The First Sound): "What was your first sound, the first sound you made? For me, this is mine. That's why right now I'm happy. What was your first word, the first word you said? I cannot say words. That's why I sing like this."
  • Miku Miku ni Shite Ageru: "I've come here surpassing the limits of science. I've got no leek with me but I would like some. Hey, let me into your computer now. Why linger? I'm looking from my package all the time at you."
  • Watashi no Jikan (My Time): "I’m a virtual idol~ Although I have prepared to become a super star, But will I be accepted by this real world?"
  • Electric Angel: "I love to sing It's not because I was made like that. It's because you, who say you like my voice are pleased with it. I don't understand anything but zeroes and ones. But you taught me the meaning of "I".
It was almost like the scenarios of intelligent programs explored in cyberpunk and other science fiction. But none of those works predicted this crowd-sourced avatar that exists as an idea rather than an A.I. Having no volition of her own, yet animated by the fans' collective, shared creative output. These ideas, along with events of the time, soon led to meditations on existence; life and death. The most well known example being "Hatsune Miku no Shoushitsu" (The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku). Some works addressed the idea of Miku outliving her producer, such as "Is There a Life In It?" Or even a composition about this very thing happening in "Unclosed Human" where Miku sings of the aftermath of Wowaka's passing. (I'll leave this topic here. I could write a book on existentialism in Vocaloid)
84039029_p0_master1200.jpg
[via pixiv]

In many ways Miku has grown and changed as the fanbase has grown and changed over the years. Like a child learning about the world, Miku explored more and more ideas, feelings, and concepts. Things like: ego ("World Is Mine"), love/desire ("Melt", "Love is War"), separation ("Saihate"), frustration ("Owata"), rebirth ("Hello, Planet"), transience ("Last Night, Good Night"), loss ("VOiCE"), darkness ("Alice of Human Sacrifice"), brutality ("Daiben"), longing ("Though My Song Has No Form"). (Not a perfect list of early examples, but I hope you get my meaning.)
multi-personae-miku-3.jpg
[via pixiv A, B, C]

Miku took on countless roles and appearances for the thousands of songs she became a part of. Each an individual expression from a producer, but all of them using Miku as a shared symbol. In this way she has proven to be a uniquely versatile character. The breadth and spectrum of tones and styles she has been adapted to is astounding. Outside of specific works, she has been generally portrayed as wanting to help others succeed and is willing to play any part needed.

We might say that her persona is a combined reflection of all the fans, producers, artists, and the people who work behind the scenes on her software, events, and products. And what would that be exactly?

A common theme in Vocaloid music is inner struggle. Expressions of anxiety, depression, loss, grief, weakness; but also equal expressions of empathy and encouragement. Another theme is the individual versus society. In the comments below such songs is an outpouring of understanding and commiseration among the fans. Still, there are plenty of jubilant songs of positivity and camaraderie. There is also a long history of storytelling through song in the Vocaloid community.
greenlights-serenade-scene-02.jpg

Much of the content in Vocaloid songs is very personal in nature. People use Miku as a means to express things they wouldn't feel comfortable expressing as themselves. Creators putting so much of themselves into their work seems to give Miku a sense of being "real" and genuine. It can seem like a paradox given her entirely synthetic nature. Perhaps the small scale of most productions lets the human touch shine through where it might have otherwise been lost in a production backed by a huge team.

New fans often credit Miku herself as being the author of her songs, until they learn what the Vocaloid software is and start to become familiar with the various producers. I think it is an easy mistake to make due to this subtle sense of reality she has. I have not personally met any real life celebrities of the entertainment industry. I only see them in media. In that way, Miku as a virtual idol is just as "real" to me in practical terms as any human idol would be. Just think of how much of the real world we all experience solely through a monitor or screen. So many people and places I know to be real, yet I've never seen or experienced them in-person.

Perhaps that's why it is so easy for people to imagine and depict her as walking among us in the real world. And why it is so easy for us to suspend our disbelief when we see her performing "live" at concerts.
Miku-in-Crowds.jpg
[via pixiv A, B, C]

That personal relationship many of us feel with her, is actually a feeling of connection to the Vocaloid community and creators. For years I never thought of myself in terms of being a "Miku fan." She was just always there in the background. Just a part of my life. Then a couple years ago I suddenly seemed to notice that I had been listening to her music for over a decade. It really made me sit down and contemplate why that was. Since then I've been interacting with the community and writing posts like this, attempting to describe that reason "why."
96490275_p0 small.jpg
[via pixiv]

I'm left to believe this "meta" nature of hers is the reason for her continued popularity. Well over a hundred voicebanks have been released after her. There are arguments to be made for many of them being preferable in one way or another. It's rare for something to outlast that kind of competition for such a long time.

It seems Miku had the chance to become something more than just a character or just a voicebank. I'm not sure that perfect storm of timing, traits, and circumstance can happen again. She arrived at the dawn of streaming video and the democratization of media creation. Art software, 3D animation software, and home music production software had all become fairly accessible around that time. It put creative tools in the hands of more people than ever before. And she became part of that movement.

But let's circle back around to the original question of Hatsune Miku as a character. If I had to come up with specific traits:

(In my view) She's obviously charismatic. She seems to value inclusivity. In a lot of fiction she comes across as easy-going, but turns very stern when someone hurts or upsets others. She strives for self-improvement but tends to not have specific personal goals or plans. Instead she focuses on helping others achieve the things they are working toward. Her tempered idealism and positivity can come across as naive to some people, but in truth she has been exposed to and understands all of the worst and all of the best in people, in all kinds of circumstances. She is prone to dwelling on the transience of all things.

Of course, if she is playing a role in a production she commits to it and can practically become a different person. Based on many of her various collaborations: she has that Japanese appreciation for limited and novelty foods and confections. She also likes theme parks and festivals; race cars and baseball; fashion and accessories; and kabuki theater.
multi-personae-miku.jpg
[via pixiv]

I've gone on long enough. I could talk about this sort of thing all day long. Sorry if I went on too many tangents.
My perspective on the matter comes from my personal experience of listening to Miku and Vocaloid for over fourteen years now. I'd love to hear differences in perspective people have based on their time listening. Or maybe you see the IRL meta aspects as being separate from her as a character? Do you feel any other voicebanks/characters share some of these traits that I'm just not aware of? Did I bring up anything that was new to you, or were you already familiar with everything I talked about?

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I've recently been on a William Gibson kick - I've just finished off the Sprawl trilogy, though I do know a bit about Idoru from the Bridge trilogy and how it pretty much predicted Miku, albeit Gibson thought of AI for his virtual idols rather than a crowdsourced thing.

If anything, Miku represents a post-cyberpunk ideal of how technology can be neutral or even positive, rather than inherently negative on society as seen in traditional cyberpunk. While Westerners still tend to find the concept of vocal and TTS synths scary, Miku has kinda managed to bypass that among Asian audiences (not just Japanese fans) and Western otaku. Miku as a character is almost like a "friendly face" of the future, and hell, even her name means "first sound of the future". In a traditional cyberpunk story, Miku would probably be characterised as a sinister, corporate face of a world that has degraded so much that people waste time focusing on virtual celebrities (and a lot has already been said about current celebrity culture with real humans). But as we've seen, Miku's nature as a meta-character has allowed her to bypass those negative aspects, becoming an indie celebrity of sorts who represents the best aspects of fandom culture and community creativity. Truth be told, I don't think any of the traditional cyberpunk authors ever thought about the idea of a virtual celeb who would be solely sustained by fans rather than a company.

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
Wow dude. Just wow. This was the exact kind of response i was hoping for when i made the thread. A thorough, detailed description on why Miku is as loved as she is. You hit the nail right on the head.
Big kudos to ya.

And funnily enough, I've had some time to think about it, and I DID manage to come up with a solid personality for Miku (of which i will write about in more detail in an upcoming thread that will hopefully release soon ;) ), and yours was fairly similar to mine.

In my headcanon, I dont think Miku is particularly extroverted. She's very accepting, and very warm, but she prefers to be very close with a small amount of people rather than have too many people knowing her on a very intimate level. She doesn't have a hard time approaching people, or even working with people, but she likes being alone and being able to reflect on life, so she can come into the ""real world"" and make sense of it all.

Shes imperfect, yet sincere. She has the tendency to come across as awkward to people who dont know her very well, but, like most people, she very rarely goes out of her way to hurt people. She hates needless division. But there's very few things she hates more than pointless rigidity. Miku likes being able to explore whatever ideas she comes across, and wants to explore things based on their own merits. She firmly believes in creative freedom, and hates any stifling of it.
Miku may be agreeable and pacifist (to an extent, everyone has their limits), but she has a strong set of values and it always prepared to stand up for them.

Another thing, Miku is very sensitive. Not in an (overly) insecure way, but just moreso that she is very idealist and is always acutely aware of how other people might feel, and how things make her feel. She feels things very deeply.

In short, Miku is just a young girl trying to make sense of what it means to be human. To live. To feel emotion. To stare your own existence in the face, and attempt to understand it. And the main way she makes sense of everything is through song. And she firmly believes that everyone else should have that same right to express yourself freely. Because if you take away the human ability to be creative and think freely, you take away the human ability to be, well....human.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)