• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Favorite / Underused Genres in Vocaloid?

fadingfebruary

New Fan
Nov 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
What genres / kinds of music do you like to see Vocaloids used in? Does genre matter to you (or is something else more important)?
What are some underrepresented genres in the Vocal Synth scene, in your opinion?

Myself I like too many genres of music so it doesn't usually affect me too much. But I haven't seen many RnB songs use Vocaloid, for example.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
for a genre i'd love to hear more of- cabaret style music, and more specific to artists i like- dark cabaret (thinking bands like the dresden dolls for example- cabaret that leans on darker tones). i see some artists that maybe have a little cabaret influence, but its often mixed electronic music so much, its more to electro than cabaret.... but cabaret is often done with big bands and instruments that dont always sound great unless directly recorded/sampled... so its understandable that many producers wouldnt aim for it, or that it may be hard to recreate! (i have heard some pretty good 'big band' vocaloid stuff before, but there isnt much!). i guess also in line with cabaret vibes and big bands, it would be interesting to hear some dixieland style music with vocaloid too!

all in all i listen to all kinds of genres- i care a lot about lyrics and i dont tend to like 'repeitive' songs (ones where a chorus is the main focus and repeats, for example). but genre wise i will kind of take whatever. i dont dislike the more electronic stuff but i analyze what i listen to greatly, so some of it i find more interest in that others, and thats more artist specific in the end.

Last edited:

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
You're right that RnB is super uncommon within Vocaloid. Speaking as a trance fan, I've noticed that trance songs using Vocaloid have really dropped off over the last decade, though I'm not sure if it has much to do with changing trends within the international electronic music scene in general. (The sudden rise of electronic music in the US has really put the umbrella fandom in a conundrum. Let's just say there are still a lot of people who are unhappy that electronic music has become super mainstream. Explaining why any further would go off-topic, however).

Despite the popularity of eurobeat in otaku and internet circles, I'm surprised there isn't too much of it within Vocaloid, aside from what Samfree (RIP) did.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Personally, I'd love to see some vocal synth work in
  • 80s synthpop
  • Jazz (Generally not the biggest fan, but some jazzier songs appeal to me. Depends on the song.)
  • Something Latin, maybe Cuban
  • More traditional rock that doesn't lean on electronic components
Honestly, I like mainstream vocal synth music, as well as more traditional rock and pop, but I also like so many other genres, many of which I've been introduced to by my vocal synth hobby (even if they're not common in vocal synth music).

Katastrophe

Not An Actual Phoenix
Apr 8, 2018
My genre tastes tend to go all over the place. If I like the song and find it catchy, then I like the song. However, the genres I have a certain fondness for are folk and electroswing.

I was understandably pumped when Hachiya Nanashi got popular, and I was so sad when he had to go on a medical hiatus. I also really loved it when Neru pivoted to electroswing from their old rock style. I'm crossing my fingers that people would want to try in follow in their footsteps, because electroswing is just so good.

Folk has always been a constant but niche thing in Vocaloid since the beginning, and honestly I miss the old guard of producers who composed for folk pretty exclusively (Kaoling, ShinjouP, etc.). I also find it a bit funny that Kaito seems to be a popular vocal to use for this genre. I haven't had much luck looking for more modern folk producers, other than Lystrialle.

I don't find anything wrong with the current trending genres, but I wish new producers would be willing compose for these genres a bit more.

Reactions: fadingfebruary

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
I'm into progressive rock, technopop, and metal. I like many genres, but my Power list is essentially my favorite type of music. Vocaloid is quite lacking in ska and ska punk music.

I've noticed that trance songs using Vocaloid have really dropped off over the last decade,
I've been finding enough trance music that soon I will be splitting it into a second list of "classic trance" which will be everything from 2014 and earlier and the current list will be 2015 and newer.
Despite the popularity of eurobeat in otaku and internet circles, I'm surprised there isn't too much of it within Vocaloid
There is definitely less eurobeat than some other electronica genres, but I'm still finding more to add to the Eurobeat list.
  • 80s synthpop
  • Jazz (Generally not the biggest fan, but some jazzier songs appeal to me. Depends on the song.)
  • Something Latin, maybe Cuban
  • More traditional rock that doesn't lean on electronic components
Currently I have 80s and 90s synthpop in among the songs of the Citypop playlist. I hope to dig up enough to put them in their own list.
I have a jazz list. Is that the kind of stuff you like, or are you looking for something else? I mean to track down more swing music to add to it.
I've been seeing more latin songs, but they're still under-represented. (EDIT: Check it out. Gackpo latin song just came out.)
Is my Bright Rock list the kind of stuff you're looking for? If not I can look for something more specific.

If anyone is looking for specific styles of Vocaloid music let me know and I'll go find it. Currently I'm just sorta randomly finding new stuff with nothing specific in mind.

Last edited:

Sherbet42

Banned
May 19, 2020
I really want a power-pop punk voice, like an English VFlower or something I could cover a Busted/Bowling for Soup/Youngblud/ect song with. No English Vocaloid is able to do it so people don't write the songs. There are a few in Japanese and a lot of Utaus work well in it, but nothing more professional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)