• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

I made an original show about GUMI teaching you how to write music

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
This is great! It puts together a bunch of the basics in a practical/real-world flow and an easily understandable format! It also manages to be really entertaining at the same time!

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
im crying i love this already

edit: ok now that ive actually watched more than a minute lmao, im here to share more thorough feedback-

I adore everything about this. The adorable execution of the concept, the precious art, the humour in the script- all accompanied with the fact that this is an extremely useful tutorial.
The information presented here is beautifully concise while not assuming the viewer already knows whats going on. In my adventure of music theory lessons a common problem tends to be over explaining things to the point where it's hard to identify the most important things you need to know and in the end making a simple concept way too complicated- but everything here is gorgeously summarized with no unnecessary words clogging up the key concept. It's fabulous. The animation and humour keeps the video engaging and interesting at all times so viewers don't get deterred by the more boring parts of learning. Tutorial videos can often be really stale to sit through but you give yours so much personality it's a treat.
This is a fantastic resource on its own, but especially so in a community that consists of many budding musicians who a lot of times know hardly anything about music theory and are always looking for more learning opportunities.
I would absolutely love to see more episodes of this. :gumi_lili:

Last edited:
Reactions: Arklite

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@Arklite: After some thought, I had a question/suggestion for content. In the video, you created 3 melodic lines that worked together to make the song. I'd love to know more about the principles behind making melodic lines that work together--what makes different lines work together, and what are things to avoid.

I'm familiar with two concepts that I think fall into this vein: harmonization and the use of percussion.
  • Harmonization basically exists to fill in the space around a melodic line by adding in sounds that are related through chords, so in a way, it's just shadowing and enhancing the melody that already exists. If it's different, it's because it's not doing something that the original melody is doing (i.e., skipping the passing notes), so it's sort of like the abridged version of the original melody and only hits the highlights.
  • The percussion track obviously can get more inventive, but one way it's used is just to provide the underlying beat. So in that way, it's sort of related to the original track also.
I feel like what you're doing with those other two tracks is somewhat different from either of those, though. From what I noticed, they share many of the same notes (in some form; could be higher/lower, either by octave or as part of a chord) at the same times, so the influence of the original melody is present. But the second two also appear to do other original things that the first melody doesn't. I'm sure that's where plenty of creativity comes into play, but if there are rules/guidelines surrounding the creation of these parts of these melodies, that would be great to hear about!

Arklite

New Fan
Dec 8, 2020
www.youtube.com
Thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate all of the kind words. I'm thrilled that you all enjoyed the show!

@mobius017 & @cafenurse and thank you guys for your in-depth responses. It means a lot to me that you took the time to write that much for my sake. Getting some different perspectives has really helped me to understand how I can improve, so I'll be sure to keep what both of you said in mind while I make episode 2!

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
That was so cute and very nice to watch, good job for such an awesome video.
I keep thinking of Paper Mario 64 as I watch it for some odd reason. :clara_ani_lili: God, that almost makes me what to play it again.
I hope you continue the series. The most I struggle with is creating the vocal part. :ring_ani_lili:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)