• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID IA appeared on Forever 21's shirt for Men

YOYo_MAMA

I am Thou and Thou aren't Shit...
Oct 19, 2018
Came across this on twitter and was surprised to see IA on an internationally-known clothing brand, with the name "Wasted Youth Anime Graphic Tee"

source: Wasted Youth Anime Graphic Tee

The copyrights for IA is actually very loose so you really don't need to ask 1st Place for permission. It's free publicity, but people wearing the shirt won't know it's IA.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
The thing about this shirt that annoys me is the wonky (in my humble opinion) translation.

It says 無駄な若者 / muda-na wakamono,
where "muda" = "useless (of no use/purpose) / wasteful / pointless" (like something being there is useless or it's pointless to do something),
but "wakamono" means "youth" as in "THE young" aka literal young people (like "the youngsters"), not youth as in the time period of being young.
So it's essentially saying the youngsters serve no purpose, not that you are wasting the prime time of your life. ("Youth" is like, 青春時代 / seishun jidai.)

I checked out their other anime shirts and they have a ton of Dragon Ball Z stuff and anime crop tops, and tie dye shirts. It's kind of funny seeing a whole page of people wearing anime shirts while posing like normal models, seems strange!

Azukiii

Galaco's stalker
Mar 16, 2019
Wasted Youth Anime Graphic Tee
"Anime"
" A N I M E "
I feel like they didn't do any research if they call IA "Anime" unless they're refering to the art style, but something about the art looks very off to me

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
That's because it's traced from (or just plain out edited by running through a filter) IA fanart that somehow ended up on Shutterstock Anime girl.
I looked up IA's official art and that fanart is 100% traced from official art.
So they took traced fanart they found on shuttrestock and then changed that again so it doesn't look like the one they found lmao.
That's just so bad.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I looked up IA's official art and that fanart is 100% traced from official art.
So they took traced fanart they found on shuttrestock and then changed that again so it doesn't look like the one they found lmao.
That's just so bad.
Some fast fashion brands have a really bad habit of stealing artwork from other sites, including indie artists. Urban Outfitters and Hot Topic are guilty of the same thing as Forever 21.

Reactions: violethaze

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)