• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

CeVIO IA English Thoughts/Opinions?

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Since IA English was announced to be a CeVIO, I was wondering how people felt about it. Personally, I think it's really cool that she'll be introduced on CeVIO, as it'll be a solid boost for the software and I think will encourage more people to try out something new, what with all its features. Her voice sounds different, but I still like her tone! She sounds so cute, and her English is so clear (from what i can hear in the demos. I understand that CeVIO requires some pretty hefty tuning to get a solid sound).

However, I also understand that there are a few people that don't like her being CeVIO. It makes sense; IA's been exclusively Vocaloid with her other voicebanks, and (from what I've heard) would've costed less for her to be on it. That and it would have likely cost fans less because most people don't own CeVIO (esp in the west), so they would have to buy the starter pack instead of just buying the voicebank, alone.

What are your thoughts?

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Another thing I think people are upset about is the fact that, when 1st Place was promoting IA ENG early on, they lead people to believe it would be a vocaloid. Misleading marketing like that made some people think that they're just assuming people will buy it because it's "anime".

I've also heard that CeVIO's quality just doesn't stack up to vocaloid; in particular, the higher amount of engine noise is a bigger problem in English, and it already makes some CeVIOs difficult to understand in Japanese. (Disclaimer: I'm not an expert at CeVIO, I'm just repeating what other people who used it have said.)

Personally, I'm meh on IA either way...

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Another thing I think people are upset about is the fact that, when 1st Place was promoting IA ENG early on, they lead people to believe it would be a vocaloid. Misleading marketing like that made some people think that they're just assuming people will buy it because it's "anime".

I've also heard that CeVIO's quality just doesn't stack up to vocaloid; in particular, the higher amount of engine noise is a bigger problem in English, and it already makes some CeVIOs difficult to understand in Japanese. (Disclaimer: I'm not an expert at CeVIO, I'm just repeating what other people who used it have said.)

Personally, I'm meh on IA either way...
I see. I believe there was also a quiz/survey 1st Place put out to gauge interest in IA English, and something about how it was worded had people believe she was going to be released as a Vocaloid (don't quote me on that, either lol).

CeVIO is a solid synthesizer, definitely above those like Vocalina or UTAU, or SharpKey imo (and I quite like Sharpkey), but it's definitely not as good as Vocaloid. There's more of a blandness to it, I'll admit, and they don't have as much variation in their tone. A lot of the color voice characters just sound bored, and like they're reading the notes very robotically, which makes sense considering what they are.

But at the same time, 1st Place improved on the lack of expression with ONE, who's definitely more expressive than her Color Voice counterparts (and Satou Sasara, I think). While IA English sounded like she had a bit of that same neutral-sounding tone to some of her demos, it still sounds like a more dynamic improvement over the others. I think 1st Place will be able to do some good quality work on their voicebanks for CeVIO

but trust me, I definitely understand the negative sentiment, too. Especially if they mislead the customers...not cool 1P/////

Chickadee

Sprite Artist
Apr 10, 2018
U.S.A.
chickadee39.carrd.co
I'm really big on the idea of IA being a CeVIO~ I always thought the interface looked more fun and intuitive to tinker around with than Vocaloid's interface, but I suppose if someone was committed to the Vocaloid editor and sound, then maybe that's something they don't like. I've been hoping for an excuse to get into CeVIO more and IA English is the answer to get me in there, since she'll probably introduce an English interface.

I don't think 1st Place mislead anyone? The only time I remember hearing official people saying IA English would be Vocaloid was Lia's tweet where she accidentally called her an English Vocaloid, which she quickly corrected in replies. Maybe there was something longer ago that I forgot about or missed?

Paradoxical

Linguistics Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 7, 2018
Canada
While I don't have a problem with voicebanks switching softwares, my main problem is that I can't have all my voicebanks in one place. Especially when it comes to duets, having them in the same software is useful.

Besides that, I am excited for her. I'm uncertain if I'll buy her (for the reason above) but I look forward to listening to her.

Stardust Daydreamer

~ Magic, Mental Health, and Music ~
Apr 9, 2018
Yeah, I have the same problem as Paradoxical - if I got her, I’d have to get the CeVio software and figure that out along with Vocaloid and UTAU, and I’m just not sure if I’m willing to do that? I’m going to wait and see what kind of songs people make with IA English before I buy her (or the Japanese vbs).

The demos I listened to had her sound so different and that bothers me a little too because I prefer how her JP voicebanks sound. Like I said, I’ll have to hear more of her before I try and buy her.

Also, I don’t know if CeVio would work with an American computer, since from what I know you have to have the region set to Japanese and I refuse to do that. When they release her, I hope they make an English interface to go with her and that she’s compatible with other regions.

Reactions: ohpeach

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
CeVIO is a solid synthesizer, definitely above those like Vocalina or UTAU, or SharpKey imo (and I quite like Sharpkey), but it's definitely not as good as Vocaloid. There's more of a blandness to it, I'll admit, and they don't have as much variation in their tone. A lot of the color voice characters just sound bored, and like they're reading the notes very robotically, which makes sense considering what they are.
CeVIO is definitely superior to UTAU from an interface standpoint, and since it's being updated, it might get better, but UTAU is a better engine, hands down. CeVIO does have talk functionality going for it, but Vocaloid/UTAU sing better and Voiceroid talks better. CeVIO is kind of the Jack of all trades, master of none of vocal synths.

Unagi

Passionate Fan
Apr 9, 2018
California, U.S.A
Isn't there a way to import voices from CeVIO onto the Vocaloid software? Or am I getting that wrong?

Honestly, I'm happy IA is getting an English VB. It is sad she's getting put on a software that not everyone recognizes, including me, yet it happens. But if I were to get her, it would be hard to pair her up with the Vocaloids I have on the Vocaloid Engine... From what I heard, though, she sounds amazing! I can't wait to hear her truly in action with the general public.

First Sound Future

Passionate Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Most are saying this doesn't sound like IA but personally I think IA English sounds like how Japanese users always tuned her Japanese Vocaloid voicebank in popular songs. But it could just be the tuning making IA English sound that way.

Even if Cevio, I enjoy IA's English. It's cute and it sounds understandable enough. However I agree with others that buying a new engine altogether for one vb(?) is going to be a pain for those who own Vocaloid and want IA English.

Cluemily

cherish chika
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 25, 2018
www.youtube.com
Isn't there a way to import voices from CeVIO onto the Vocaloid software? Or am I getting that wrong?
CeVIO and VOCALOID are two entirely different engines and function completely differently, so it'd be impossible to import them.

I'm honestly super excited for IA English. CeVIO is much easier to use than VOCALOID right off the bat and the tuning is so much faster than VOCALOID. With the Timing parameters it's a perfect engine for fine-tuning English too. I've barely used CeVIO a week and I already love tuning stuff in it, which with VOCALOID it just felt like a chore to open up and tune something. I still love my VOCALOIDs but if tuning was as easy as CeVIO I'd feel more willing to mess around in the software all day. S'why I gave in and bought ONE so soon after buying CeVIO, aha.

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
but UTAU sing better.
I really really don't believe that Utau sings better than Cevio. The only problem is..... if you look at the color voice series some are really low quality but I believe that has to do with the recordings

Cevio can sound bland but it all depends on the tuning i believe. This is my fav. Cevio song honestly:

Nothingless IA don't like IA English being on Cevio. I can understand it, Vocaloid is overloaded with english Vocaloids for a way to small market. In Cevio there aren't any english VBs yet. But I just don't like her Voice on Cevio. I was hoping for that typical IA tone just in english but that's missing here, since I think that tone came from the Vocaloid engine if that makes sense instead it sounds like the Cevio engine and that just makes her.... voicetype being bland and boring. + as a foreigner I have a hard time understanding her.

All in all I am just disappointed because I expected her to sound like the Vocaloid because I was expecting a Vocaloid

The good thing out of it is that the cevio engine will get an english interface then

Vani ❤ Candy

❤ Rana and Teki are my babies ❤
Apr 8, 2018
in a box under a bridge
i was looking forward to it a lot, knowing that since Lia's fluent in english it'd definitely be one of the better English > Japanese vocals, but tbh the fact that its gonna be on CeVIO really disappointed me. im mostly speaking from a personal standpoint here, but i really don't want to have to shell out more money to buy only one vocal on a completely different engine since its so expensive. perhaps if it's particularily amazing, i'd be more willing to blow money on both CeVIO and IA English, but right now i'm not crazy for it.

However, I do feel this will be beneficial to Cevio, as far as i know it doesn't have an english vocal yet and IA English will open the door for more of them and potentially other languages, and i think someone like IA can do that perfectly ^^

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I definitely feel the same with a lot of you, especially on the whole "have to buy a new engine and learn how to use it" bit. It'll be quite the inconvenience, but it can also be a good learning opportunity, I think!
I want to wait and see how IA English goes because it could be really cool, and I also want to see how much she'll cost. If she's expensive then I'm thinking I'll just enjoy her from a distance, as excited as I am that she'll be a thing, haha!

but if the starter pack isn't too unreasonable, I wouldn't mind trying to learn a new interface at all!

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
CeVIO's main downside is definitely the engine noise, which gives a blanket buzz. However, I've noticed that the way voices seem to modulate in CeVIO can sound incredibly realistic, like in the video Yuniku posted. I'm looking forward to hearing how IA English sounds when tuned by more native English speakers.

Last edited:

Infoholic

CEO of Chorical, LLC.
Mar 26, 2018
I'm hands down excited for IA English. I love that they moved to CeVIO, sure it's sad she won't have a Vocaloid voicebank, but I've been wanting to get CeVIO for quite some time. I plan to purchase ONE's starter pack and then IA English. It's just a plus to the engine for me and I already loved the engine to begin with. CeVIO's workflow is very easy and simple compared to Vocaloid and UTAU.

I think it sounds like IA, but others don't hear so. Maybe my hearing is weird idk

Cluemily

cherish chika
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 25, 2018
www.youtube.com
CeVIO is really a good deal. I imported straight from Amazon JP and for the physical including Satou Sasara (Song + Talk), Takahashi (Talk), Suzuki (Talk), plus a bonus disk of sound effects and the engine (which included Talk + Song editors) is all free updates (along with the banks updates too, I believe). In total (including the shipping cost in this plus import) it cost me:
chrome_2018-04-12_14-42-10.png

ONE cost me maybe £20 more but I had to go through alternate methods to get her as Amazon JP doesn't ship her overseas. But with IA English being, well, English, I assume 1st Place may work out some way to make it easier to ship her overseas...or I hope so.

They're also slowly adding English UI to the editor so you'll find some small things in English here and there, which is nice. I can't wait for the full English editor. I'm also still learning the engine but I can lend a hand to any new users, plus Uchuu provided some good info in their thread on CeVIO in general.

Sarah

New Fan
Apr 9, 2018
USA
k1sh1be.tumblr.com
I personally don't think IA English is gonna go well on CeVIO since it'll be hard for most people who actually do speak english to even get CeVIO in the first place without forwarding services and stuff like that.

Cluemily

cherish chika
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 25, 2018
www.youtube.com
I personally don't think IA English is gonna go well on CeVIO since it'll be hard for most people who actually do speak english to even get CeVIO in the first place without forwarding services and stuff like that.
CeVIO can be shipped worldwide straight from Amazon JP without a forwarding service. Though ONE cannot but as IA ENG is such they might make her easier to access overseas. Amazon JP also has a mostly English interface option.

It took like a week tops to ship to the UK.

Reactions: Unagi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)