• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Pokemon General

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Might as well get the conversation going so...what's everyone's favorite game? Or favorite Pokemon?

Personally, Black/White is my favorite, though that always seems to be an unpopular opinion???? I also really liked Black2/White2.
As for favorite Pokemon, I have one for every generation but my top are definitely Snivy, Raichu, Sylveon, and Rowlet. Not the most unique favorites, I know, but I love them. I'm really big into fairy/electric/grass types tbh

Sharkartist

Passionate Fan
Apr 16, 2018
Eastern USA
Personally, Black/White is my favorite, though that always seems to be an unpopular opinion???? I also really liked Black2/White2.
I agree a lot with you, even though ive only played ORAS and part of SM. The pokemon are great and the story is probably my favorite in the series.

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
I kinda took a break from Pokemon because I got really annoyed that I filled a whole PC and then some trying to get a shiny Minior for my team with no success...and then I guess I got too busy with school/work to finish Ultra Sun. I'll probably get around to it this summer.

My favourite gen is still gen 2 (wow super original, I know), but tbh I've been very fond of the gen 5-7 games as well.

I think most people know me as the Oddish/Slowpoke/Stunfisk fan, but I have a few more favourites! Scizor, Mimikyu, Dranpa, Toucannon, Braixen, and the Mareep family! If I had to narrow it down to my FAVOURITE favourites, it'd probably be Oddish, Slowpoke, and Braixen.

Amy☆

I like sweets uwu
Apr 8, 2018
United states
It's funny, I wasn't really a big fan of black/white but I absolutely loved black/white 2 idk why. It just seemed like there was so much more to do than in the originals. They're definitely in my top faves but my absolute fave is Sapphire only bc that's the one I spent the most time playing as a kid. I also played a lot of Silver/Gold but I just found R/S a little more enjoyable and more polished.

EDIT: Oops I forgot my fave Pokemon. It's jigglypuff btw I love jigglypuff.

Unagi

Passionate Fan
Apr 9, 2018
California, U.S.A
I am a big fan of Pokémon, so I'll give some back story.

When I was 8, my sister gave me Pokémon Ruby (her friend didn't want it anymore). It was my first Pokémon game. I did play this while Generation 4 was out, and was never able to play a Gen 4 game (even to this day! The games are so expensive). So, I spent my time playing Pokémon Gen 3. I spent hundreds of hours going through every bit of this game. I was addicted.
In 2010, when I moved across the country, my mom gave me Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. I was also addicted to that game. I 100% it multiple times, with multiple different kinds of Pokémon as my starters. My favorite run was my current one, with a Charmander and Shinx (who have evolved)!
Then, in about 2011 (maybe beginning of 2012?), I bought myself Pokémon Black. For Christmas 2012 I got both Black 2 and White 2. I never received White, though... Anyways, I spent nearly as much time in that Generation as in Generation 3. However, due to the doom and gloom of the generation, and my depression at the time, it was dreadful times until Pokémon X and Y came out (I got Y!). Times got better, but I didn't spend that much time on Y. (It took me a week to finish rather than a month...)
Of course, I got both Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Spent so many hours on that. *Combined*. Nowadays, I just spend my time training and breeding Pokémon a bit in Moon and Ultra Moon (if anyone has Sun/Ultra Sun, hook me up with your friendcode). I'm no professional by any means, but I enjoy the strategies you can use.

Favorite Pokémon: Sylveon
Favorite Pokémon Game: Pokémon Ruby

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I think I liked the characters of BW2 more than BW, but BW had a better story imo. Nice to see lots of variation here, everywhere else (especially Pokemon communities) are usually always just Gen 1 from what I've experienced. I personally like the later games most (DP and onward) flr the Pokemon they have and just how my experiences wrre playing. Though DP and BW/2 I get kinda biased on my experienced becsuse there are so many of my favorites plus Barry/Pearl and Hugh/BW2 Rival are my favorite rivals (even though it seems like everyone hates Barry? I thought he was very fun and liked how he was the exact same in any media he was in from game to anime to DP manga). I alwo kinda feel like it can be hard to connect with other fans just because of my preference to the later games...though I still love the older games (like Red is my one and only favorite trainer <3)

EDIT: I can make a Pokemon discord server for us all. Be more organized than just this thread y'know?

Reactions: Unagi

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I feel like I'm the only person on the internet who loves Gen 4. XD But I guess nostalgia's coloured my opinion, since Diamond/Pearl was one of the first games I managed to finish all by myself, and I spent a lot of time during postgame trying to fill in the Sinnoh Pokedex.

I know Gen 1 is overrated, but the FireRed/LeafGreen remakes still hold a place in my heart, since I finished and spent a lot of time with that game too.

Mystery Dungeon is still my favourite Pokemon spinoff, but I don't think they've made a game better than Explorers Of Time/Darkness/Sky yet. (The devs keep changing aspects of the gameplay for the worst for some reason right now). Also, does anyone here miss the Orre games? I've always been salty that they've never continued past Gale Of Darkness.

Oh, and my favourite Pokemon are Pikachu (I know, how generic) and Celebi.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
I don't know where my 3DS is... so I still haven't been able to complete Ultra Moon. I hope I can find it and play soon though!

My favourite era was Gen 4 even though the DPPt were ridiculously slow to play through (Pt less so). Sinnoh is a beautiful region and I love the Pokémon that were introduced. I'd say Gen 5 and Gen 7 come close behind that, though I'm not a fan of how long it takes to play through SM/USUM. Bought Y from GAME before street release, loved it at first but now think Gen 6 might have been the worst Gen game wise. Gen 5 has my favourite characters with Gen 4 in a close second. My favourite Pokémon is actually Fletchling, oddly enough. I have multiple plushies as proof. Meowstic, Esupurr, Espeon and Umbreon are all favourites of mine as well. I've dabbled in competitive TCG and VGC but not into them now. I'm dreading having to buy a Switch for Gen 8...

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
Nice to see lots of variation here, everywhere else (especially Pokemon communities) are usually always just Gen 1 from what I've experienced.
Yeah not really a fan of the hardcore gen 1 people tbh. :Y I mean, it was my first game (Red) and I can definitely appreciate it for starting the series, but...it hasn't aged well imo. I think a lot of the newer games have really convenient innovations and are more fun, too.

The only generations I didn't really like were 3 and 4 tbh.

Also I'll post my 3ds friend code later today once I can charge it.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Agreed. I do own all four games of gen 7 (Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon) but honestly? They felt super...slow to me and I haven't even finished them yet because of that. Gen 4 had a slow start but I feel this gen just had a slow everything (and WAY too much hand holding)

Really hoping anything on the Switch is much better. Though I kinda wish the games could stay on 3DS...I see why ths want/have to move to Switch but it just frels weird to me

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I finished Moon, but I ended up dropping Ultra Moon because the story hadn't changed enough for me to keep playing. (Now I know why I didn't miss the "two versions, then enhanced version" tactic when it disappeared in Gen 5). Also, I got stuck at the Necrozma fight in Ultra Moon because it kept one-hit KO'ing my party and I was like, "Fuck it".

The amount of handholding in Gen 7 was also ridiculous, considering the Pokemon fandom seems to mainly consist of adults who grew up with Gen 1 at this point. I know the games always need tutorials to help inevitable newcomers get to grips with them, but Gen 7 took the piss with it. Some of the road coning (i.e. obviously blocking paths so you can't get somewhere just yet) was pretty bad too.

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Oh I adore Pokémon my favorite game is Crystal flat out followed closely by heart gold and White 2 as for favorite pokemon I have so many I love and issues choosing a favorite :x but Flareon, Jigglypuff, Vileplume, Starmie, Bayleef, Lilligant, Paras and Altaria are like my tops

Cluemily

cherish chika
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 25, 2018
www.youtube.com
I got to the Pokemon League in Moon and still need to start Ultra Moon. I've gotten more obsessed with buying all the cute outfits rather than you know...battling, aha.

But, I've been playing Detective Pikachu and I absolutely love it. The deep voice from Pikachu is hilarious and although the story is pretty generic the characters really make it interesting, especially getting to see Pokemon doing things in an overworld more than the main games.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Honestly the only hand holding I am okay with in gen 7 is telling you the type effectiveness after you've fought a Pokemon before. It's nice but I also kinda hate it. I like to be able to guess the typing or somewhat freak out if I forget what's effective in an important battle.

Oh man Detective Pikachu. I need to get that game, it looks so entertaining. I have been waiting for the game to release forever and yet I didn't even buy it at its release.

Nova

The Man Without The Plan
Staff member
Agreed. I do own all four games of gen 7 (Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon) but honestly? They felt super...slow to me and I haven't even finished them yet because of that. Gen 4 had a slow start but I feel this gen just had a slow everything (and WAY too much hand holding)

Really hoping anything on the Switch is much better. Though I kinda wish the games could stay on 3DS...I see why ths want/have to move to Switch but it just frels weird to me
Part of the reason Sun/Moon feels so slow is that sometimes the cutscenes are a bit too close together. Like when you and Lily go to that one island and about 3 cutscenes play in quick session. Each one being a bit lengthy

lil_eggo

(screams eternally)
Apr 8, 2018
USA
i really enjoyed pokemon sun! however i haven't been able to get thru my copy of ultra moon (partially bc i have no time, but also maybe lost interest...? i hope to try again this summer)
i'm lowkey dreading pokemon games for switch because i dished out some money for a ps4 and games for that in the last 6 months. and, i mean, i love sinnoh so much i feel like i would buy a switch just for remakes... but until then i'll watch everyone have fun w/o me ;_;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)