• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Recommended Instrument for EDM Synthetic Bass Sound?

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
What sort of instrument do people use for a more artificial bass sound, suitable for EDM? For example, something like the bouncy, twangy synth in nostraightanswer's "With This Love?"

(I like this sound, but this particular sound isn't the focus of my question. I'm looking for the instrument(s) generally used in synthetic-sounding bass for EDM.)

I'm thinking there are a few possibilities:

1. There are dedicated bass synths available. Some seem to focus on emulating acoustic basses, while others might be more electronic. Compared to using something like Serum/Vital, these would probably be easier but sacrifice something in terms of customizability/flexibility.

2. Something like Serum/Vital, where you use a preset or make your own sound from scratch.

3. Tweaking the parameters of an existing instrument and/or adding effects. E.g., for the sound above, I think I could change the ADSR and maybe add some delay to a PVC Kontakt instrument, and the sound would be at least somewhat similar. Trade-off here is that you're getting more of an acoustic sound, with probably somewhat limited flexibility to make it sound more synthetic. Bitcrushing and other effects can do a lot, though.

Last edited:

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
In my opinion, every modern soft-synths (even analog modeled synths) are very capable producing almost every possible sound you could think off, it's depend on what soft synths are you comfortable to work with, preset is a good place to start too, there should be plenty of pluck/slap bass presets around.
Some soft-synths have modeled filters like SEM 12, Diode ladder, Korg 35 etc, these filter have some color in it and bass are mostly pure sine wave so it can make a huge different in sound and texture.
If you already have serum or vital synth, you're good to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Thanks @IO+! Do you have a recommended way to learn to make your own sounds?

I've seen videos about making different kinds of sounds (pluck, strings, brass, etc.). Those seem like really specific sounds compared to all the different sounds that people can create with a synth like Serum/Vital, though. But maybe the important point is that all the different sounds we can make are some variation of one of those, so once you've learned those, you can expand on them to make other things?

Still, I'm wondering if there's some kind of class or something that would be helpful.

Also, I think I understand a "pluck" bass sound, but what is a "slap" bass sound?

Reactions: IO+

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
“Slap bass” refers to a specific playing technique that creates a distinctive sound. It involves moving your thumb against the string in a “slapping” motion. I guess it’s kind of like the inverse of a pluck as you would traditionally think of it?

Here is a famous slap bass video on YT, you can hear the iconic sound of slap bass here.

It’s cool!

Sorry for hijacking the tread, I really love bass. Carry on 😆

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
“Slap bass” refers to a specific playing technique that creates a distinctive sound. It involves moving your thumb against the string in a “slapping” motion. I guess it’s kind of like the inverse of a pluck as you would traditionally think of it?

Here is a famous slap bass video on YT, you can hear the iconic sound of slap bass here.

It’s cool!

Sorry for hijacking the tread, I really love bass. Carry on 😆
Holy cow, this is insane. I though my friend was so good but this is in another level.

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
Isn't it on another level?!

This guy, tmsw, does slap bass arrangements on a six string... (also this arrangement is just genuinely quite fun to listen to)

Just thinking about it makes my wrists hurt!!

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
In the case that you still looking for new instrument as the topic asking for.
I don't have a lot of soft synth but this is what i rely on every day.

Free.
This plugin is base on real unit Oberheim OB-X and it's sound fairly close, the software is using royal system i think. You can download and use it for free or buy the software for 49$

This synth is completely free, base on Thor synth from Reason, they sound good and got some unique filter to choose from. It's like a vital synth, very versatile.

This synth is quite confusing it's similar to MASSIVE from NI, it need some time to get used to.

I do have some paid soft-synth but i don't think it's necessary.

I learn to programmed a synthesizer from old keyboard synth manuals, and basic shape of waveform/filters from the books. Back then internet doesn't exist yet.

I highly recommend you to pick your go-to synthesizer(subtractive synth is recommended since it's become a standard), it's doesn't matter free or paid, all of them should have basic waveform/filters and focus on the fundamentals of synthesizer programming and all of the components of the synths. I found that visual feedback from oscilloscope plugin is really help to understand all of the parameters better, seeing waveform react to all the tweak is valuable. So you might look for that one.

Once you understand all basic synths programming, you got it all.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@IO+, @pico: Thanks very much! I have Vital, and I'm inclined to give bass/sound creation with it a try. Should be a good learning experience. Those free soft synths could be very handy, though.

Thanks for the explanation of bass sounds, too! Seeing it used in both videos (with good music, no less) helped clear up what the "slap" sound is!

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
Good pick, Vital synth pretty much a perfect synth to learn, i suggest try to create a sound from one oscillator first and after you shape your sound with ADSR and filters as you like, you can add another oscillator and maybe play around with different waveform shape like square wave or triangle wave etc.
Effect build-in inside vital are very good too.

Reactions: mobius017

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)