• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

software recommendation to use in making vocametal

Hexei

New Fan
Jul 18, 2021
Hello, idk if this is the right sub to post this question but I would like to ask what software you guys recommend in making metal vocals (for ex. utsu-p) for a beginner?

Thanks ^ ^

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
Can you gimme a sample ? (song, video) so i know what you aiming for.

Usually screaming vox is come from squeezing vocal cords with a lot of air in their lungs.
But, for voice synth this is the best to make the voice get very gritty harsh sounding and then apply some effect like distortion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexei

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
Sorry for the late answer.

The scream part is sound like it has been heavily modulated.
After i try to recreate this type of sound i got a good news for you.

Please download this wacky modulation plugin.

The conclusion after i spend almost hour trying.
This is the Charsiesis plugin settings for a basic metal voice.

voices around 21
min delay around 2.00ms
delay range around 19-20ms
min rate around 120ms/s
rate range around 270-276ms/s
rate update: all the way to the right
leave everything else at the default setting!

sound is not yet finish you can use some normal distortion plugin to increase the aggressiveness to the sound.

Note: distortion and saturation have different harmonic character.
Distortion tend to have brighter sound and brittle.
Saturation tend to have darker sound and rounded.
Choose and play around with it.

I hope this help you get started.

Have fun producing!

Hexei

New Fan
Jul 18, 2021
Thank you for the help I highly appreciate it, I will try to make something now ^ ^

Reactions: IO+

Hexei

New Fan
Jul 18, 2021
Sorry for the late answer.

The scream part is sound like it has been heavily modulated.
After i try to recreate this type of sound i got a good news for you.

Please download this wacky modulation plugin.

The conclusion after i spend almost hour trying.
This is the Charsiesis plugin settings for a basic metal voice.

voices around 21
min delay around 2.00ms
delay range around 19-20ms
min rate around 120ms/s
rate range around 270-276ms/s
rate update: all the way to the right
leave everything else at the default setting!

sound is not yet finish you can use some normal distortion plugin to increase the aggressiveness to the sound.

Note: distortion and saturation have different harmonic character.
Distortion tend to have brighter sound and brittle.
Saturation tend to have darker sound and rounded.
Choose and play around with it.

I hope this help you get started.

Have fun producing!
Btw on what software did you do this? I'm using piapro studio atm

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
I do it inside D.A.W (digital audio workstation) i'm using Cubase 5. It's doesn't matter what software you use though, as long as it support this plugin.
for the voice synth, i use vocaloid 4 (luka v4) for the test.

• Love

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
To build on what @IO+ said, just as an FYI, I don't believe any version of Piapro will load a VST. You would be looking to add Charsiesis as an effect on your Piapro track in your DAW.

Good luck with your producing!

Reactions: Hexei and IO+

Hexei

New Fan
Jul 18, 2021
To build on what @IO+ said, just as an FYI, I don't believe any version of Piapro will load a VST. You would be looking to add Charsiesis as an effect on your Piapro track in your DAW.

Good luck with your producing!
what other software you guys recommend besides piapro studio for a beginner?

and yes I can't load it ;-;

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
what other software you guys recommend besides piapro studio for a beginner?

and yes I can't load it ;-;
What Operating System do you use?

Piapro Studio is not an actual DAW though, is more like a Editor (example: i use vocaloid editor 4).
You need to find an actual DAW that you're comfortable with and work with it.
**after you find your favorite DAW, try to play around and have fun with it, if you struggle, simply just make a thread and we will help you.

I suggest you check this out.

Note:
When it's come to the software, especially a D.A.W you need to carefully choose, it's like a house. Every each DAW have advantage and disadvantage. You need to be able to use it in a very longtime. So be better to do some research.

Last edited:

Hexei

New Fan
Jul 18, 2021
What Operating System do you use?

Piapro Studio is not an actual DAW though, is more like a Editor (example: i use vocaloid editor 4).
You need to find an actual DAW that you're comfortable with and work with it.
I suggest you check this out.

Note:
When it's come to the software, especially a D.A.W you need to carefully choose, it's like a house. Every each DAW have advantage and disadvantage. You need to be able to use it in a very longtime. So be better to do some research.
I'm using windows 10

and also thanks again ^ ^

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
I'm using windows 10

and also thanks again ^ ^
Cakewalk by bandlab is my go to D.A.W for windows OS.
It's powerful and completely free. (back in the day this is a flagship DAW with over 500$ price tag)
But this software are not beginner friendly. so if you willing to learn deep enough, this software is a beast.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I personally use Studio One. The main reason was that it came with Miku when I bought her (I got her as a download from Sonicwire, and it comes bundled with her.), and some of the documentation that comes with/is provided for a Cryptonloid takes advantage of that partnership and provides instructions for Studio One users. I've also found plenty of videos/documentation for how to use Studio One (on YouTube, the Presonus website, etc.) when I've had questions, and I assumed there was a slight possibility that the Cryptonloids had been tested with Studio One and would possibly work better there (I'm not sure if there's actually ANY definitive evidence that the Cryptonloids work better/worse in different DAWs, though.) Aside from that, I've simply not encountered much that really motivated me to switch to a different DAW.

However, people have lots of preferences, and I agree with IO+ that doing research on what kind of DAW you want is a good idea.

If you're interested in Studio One, you would have to either use the version of Studio One that may have been included with your Cryptonloid (if you got it as a download from Sonicwire), or you may be able to get a trial of Studio One 5 Professional from the Presonus website. These instructions are for doing it with Studio One 4, but hopefully Studio One 5 offers the same process.

Edit: P.S.: In case it's helpful, we have a Resource that generally describes the core set of software that's used when working with vocal synths. You may/may not find the context it provides useful. It discusses things like how your DAW, Piapro, and other software relate to each other and work together:

Edit 2: Just to clarify, are you using
  1. the Piapro Studio that came with most of the Vocaloid-based Cryptonloids (Miku V3, Miku V4X, or any other Cryptonloid),
  2. the Piapro Studio that came with Miku Chinese,
  3. or the Piapro Studio that came with Miku NT?
(It doesn't really make too much difference and is mostly for reference. I only ask because 2 and 3 can operate as standalone software (i.e., outside of a DAW), and 3 has a new function in it that helps you make metal screams without the use of Charsiesis/other such effects. None of them will load VSTs, though.)

Last edited:

Hexei

New Fan
Jul 18, 2021
I personally use Studio One. The main reason was that it came with Miku when I bought her (I got her as a download from Sonicwire, and it comes bundled with her.), and some of the documentation that comes with/is provided for a Cryptonloid takes advantage of that partnership and provides instructions for Studio One users. I've also found plenty of videos/documentation for how to use Studio One (on YouTube, the Presonus website, etc.) when I've had questions, and I assumed there was a slight possibility that the Cryptonloids had been tested with Studio One and would possibly work better there (I'm not aware that there's actually ANY evidence that the Cryptonloids work better/worse in different DAWs, though.) Aside from that, I've simply not encountered much that really motivated me to switch to a different DAW.

However, people have lots of preferences, and I agree with IO+ that doing research on what kind of DAW you want is a good idea.

If you're interested in Studio One, you would have to either use the version of Studio One that may have been included with your Cryptonloid (if you got it as a download from Sonicwire), or you may be able to get a trial of Studio One 5 Professional from the Presonus website. These instructions are for doing it with Studio One 4, but hopefully Studio One 5 offers the same process.

Edit: P.S.: In case it's helpful, we have a Resource that generally describes the core set of software that's used when working with vocal synths. You may/may not find the context it provides useful. It discusses things like how your DAW, Piapro, and other software relate to each other and work together:

Edit 2: Just to clarify, are you using
  1. the Piapro Studio that came with most of the Vocaloid-based Cryptonloids (Miku V3, Miku V4X, or any other Cryptonloid),
  2. the Piapro Studio that came with Miku Chinese,
  3. or the Piapro Studio that came with Miku NT?
(It doesn't really make too much difference and is mostly for reference. I only ask because 2 and 3 can operate as standalone software (i.e., outside of a DAW), and 3 has a new function in it that helps you make metal screams without the use of Charsiesis/other such effects. None of them will load VSTs, though.)
I'm using Piapro NT with the Miku Hatsune NT with it, and messed with it a little and it can make metal screams through Voice Drive which is kinda neat and also thanks for the suggestion ^ ^

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
No problem!

In case you end up looking for a DAW sometime, I believe @peaches2217 tried a number of them at one point and has also talked with people who were having DAW issues, some of whom were trying to get their DAWs to work with Cryptonloids. She might have suggestions about which DAWs she believes work best/which she prefers.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Sorry, I just now saw this! I dabble in Vocametal enough that I've learned a good abundance of tips and tricks, so if there's anything that hasn't already been answered you wanna ask, feel free to hit me up! And welcome!

• Love

Hexei

New Fan
Jul 18, 2021
Sorry, I just now saw this! I dabble in Vocametal enough that I've learned a good abundance of tips and tricks, so if there's anything that hasn't already been answered you wanna ask, feel free to hit me up! And welcome!
Thanks for the help I'll make sure to hit you up whenever I got questions ^ ^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)