• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Vocaloid light novels

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Has anyone ever read a Vocaloid light novel? (It appears some have been translated to English, but I am interested in getting a Japanese Kindle version.) I found a list of novels adapted from Vocaloid songs (it's in Japanese, but it's basically whatever song has reached mega-popular status, such as "Acute", "Kochira, Koufuku Anshin Iinkai desu" or "Love Trial") and see there are quite a few to choose from, though I haven't heard all of the songs on the list.

I'm kind of disappointed, because a lot of the ones I looked up got really bad ratings on Amazon for being amateurish, confusing, or boring. But I've been considering getting one for like 2 years and it's finally getting to me. OTL

So, any recommendations if you've read one? If not, which song do you think would have the most interesting plot?

Narumo Luckycarrot

Aspiring Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Chile
narumo.deviantart.com
This is probably not the most helpful of answers, but the question got me thinking.

I've translated parts of three Vocaloid light novels (Cloture of Yellow, Witch Hunt and The Man Who Doesn't Know the Sun), and I found them just ok. At the same time, I wasn't expecting masterpieces in the first place. Or even books that could be compared to Real Serious Literature, which probably reveals some prejudice on my part :P I don't regret buying those books though, I was curious about the story and that need was met.

So yeah, I have no recommendations, sorry.

Unagi

Passionate Fan
Apr 9, 2018
California, U.S.A
I don't either, but I just thought of something.

When something gets popular, people wanna bank on that. That mat mean that things aren't as high quality as the original thing produced; just my theory, though. Just know that you shouldn't get your hopes up too much.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I've read The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku light novel in English.
And yes, it seemed amateurish to me. The story could've been a lot better, especially the romance between the protagonist and Miku was in my opinion pretty watered down, as in they mostly went to eat in almost every chapter lol. The story got better towards the end though and the ending was really touching.
The translation was ok, with some typos and a couple of odd sentences.
Overall I liked the book despite it's weaknesses.
Probably there are better vocaloid light novels out there, it's just a shame that most haven't been translated into English.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I've seen the English translation of the Disappearance novel sometimes when I'm at conventions or geek shops, but I've never picked it up. Sad to hear that it's amateur in writing and plot, so I'm kinda hoping better Vocaloid light novels will be picked up in the future.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I wish the light novels were at least awesomely bad instead of just plain boring/amateurish. : /
I guess I'd be more inclined to pick them up if they were firmly so bad, they're good. I like checking out unintentionally amusing things. X)

Reactions: ramencup

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
Hmmm....
I bought the disappearance of hatsune miku but while it might not have been the best I still found it better than expected and it had it's nice moments.

I read the fantranslations of bad end night online but I have to say.... I found it weak. I also disliked the ending

other than that I only read the Kagerou Daze novels until now (they are also amateurish but I am reading this more to get the songs + it still has it's good moments and I honestly think they got a bit better in later volumes but I hated those cliffhangers, everybody who read the novels will know why)
I hate that the cliffhangers only get to a close 2 volumes later

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
It seems like "The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku" was most mentioned on this thread. I know the Kagerou Project stuff if very popular, I think it would require a Wiki to know where to start.

I'm not sure if the type/"genre" of music where it tells a detailed story about a character's experience has a name (like certain Vocaloid songs or songs from plays), but I don't really enjoy those, so I think I would like to pick something else to invest a lot of time into... :S

Narumo Luckycarrot

Aspiring Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Chile
narumo.deviantart.com
If I understand what you mean correctly, it sounds like you don't like character-focused drama? What are you looking for? Adventure? Sci fi? Horror? High/Low/Urban Fantasy?

As I mentioned my experience with Vocaloid novels is limited, but I imagine the prevailing genre must be Romance with either Slice of Life or Fantasy elements? Or am I completely off-base here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)