• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID5 Glitch list, workarounds, tips and tricks!! (edit: added FAQs!!)

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Just a heads up, but the official Vocaloid YouTube page uploaded a bunch more V5 tutorials.
VOCALOID
(Even if the title is in Japanese, the tutorial has English audio.)

Reactions: mobius017

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
I emailed Yamaha to ask about Styles:
I was wondering if Styles I make can be deleted, shared with friends, or renamed?
This was their reply:
Unfortunately, managing Style presets doesn't have many functions at the moment.
It doesn't have import/export functions.

You can delete your Style preset by Right-clicking on the [STYLE PRESET]list.

In order to change your Style preset name, Please save your Style preset again with different name at [CUSTOMIZE] page then delete the original.
"At the moment"? Hmmm!

PigeonP

Pidgerino
View attachment 1166y the screenshot if you can't tell the music editor (and it's like that with the media and mixer options also) is taking up almost the entire screen. I try pulling it down and it won't move down at all. So I was hoping if there's any solutions to this?
Press F4 to close the editor quickly, and press F3 to open the mixer panel quickly. It won't move after a certain point :( The best thing to do is get fast at the shortcuts.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
So I haven't really used V5 that extensively since I bought it, though I'd really like to change that. Something I'm wondering right now is if it's possible to have custom singer configurations like in previous editors? (for example, in V4 you go into the singer editor, adjust their settings, and save them as a new singer)

I can't figure out how to do that in V5, if it's even still possible orz. (Messing around with style isn't exactly what I'm looking for, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was the replacement ;; )

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
I can't figure out how to do that in V5, if it's even still possible orz. (Messing around with style isn't exactly what I'm looking for, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was the replacement ;; )
I'm 99% sure they got rid of that feature. I skimmed the manual again and checked the menu and didn't see anything like that.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
That's what I feared. Guess I'll just have to figure out some sort of workaround then, orz.

Thank you!

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
That's what I feared. Guess I'll just have to figure out some sort of workaround then, orz.

Thank you!
@Rylitah: I know you said messing around with style wasn't what you wanted, but how about saving a custom style? I think it affects all the Vocaloid parameters, plus whatever effects you want to add. Just save it as something like [SingerName]_[MyNewStyleName], and you can apply it later. It wouldn't keep a system-based reference to the singer (It could be used with any Vocaloid.), and it would clutter up the list of styles, but it might be a palatable workaround.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Just save it as something like [SingerName]_[MyNewStyleName], and you can apply it later. It wouldn't keep a system-based reference to the singer (It could be used with any Vocaloid.), and it would clutter up the list of styles, but it might be a palatable workaround.
You're right, I was thinking of something in the menu and forgot about Voice Color being an option. (gonna steal your idea)

I guess looking back at it, it does sort of seem similar to the old way to set singer presets, except it's sliders for Voice Color. The only issue is that you would have to make multiple Styles for the same character if you wanted a different effect on the base singer voice (ex: For example, you want Miku to always have 20 cute and 15 breathiness, but for one part of the song you want it to also be echoey and a different part you want it to sound robotic, you'd have to have 2 presets for those due to the weird effects). Hopefully that makes sense.

I was thinking you could also write the presets you used for each singer in V4 on a Word document and manually draw that in.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
The only issue is that you would have to make multiple Styles for the same character if you wanted a different effect on the base singer voice (ex: For example, you want Miku to always have 20 cute and 15 breathiness, but for one part of the song you want it to also be echoey and a different part you want it to sound robotic, you'd have to have 2 presets for those due to the weird effects). Hopefully that makes sense.
True. I've only played with V5 a little bit, but I think that different regions is how they expect you to handle a situation like that, since I don't think you can automate the robot voice. Maybe you can automate the amount of reverb, though? Robot voice is somewhat different from the plugin-y sorts of effects with their knobs/etc.

If not, many of V5's effects can be handled by effects in the DAW itself, so if you don't want to have multiple styles/regions, you could decide to keep those things out of your styles and let the DAW handle it. I strongly suspect you could automate how the DAW applies effects. (Though I'm definitely not positive. It might take some wrangling--like tweaking the volume on a bus or output channel or something that handles the effect. Sadly I'm not a mixing expert yet :). ) Though that kind of neuters some of the gifts that V5 gives you (the effects it includes that your DAW may not/you may not have purchased yet).

Edit:
Actually, it's even easier than that. IIRC, after picking a preset, I don't think it subsequently bars you from changing the Voice Color values or the effects on the region that is using that preset--the presets are basically just initial values. So you could create a preset that sets the Voice Color parameters but leaves the other effects alone. Then, you use the preset to get your different regions started, applying whatever other effects you want to each region.

Last edited:

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Thank you for the suggestions!

Specifically what I'm trying to do is do something similar to how like... in V4, I can set Kiyoteru V4's config to negative BRE and CLE, which makes him sound noticeably less muffled and clearer without actually altering his tone. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do in V5 to achieve something similar to that aside from messing with style/effects, which... isn't really the same thing or similar sounding. Maybe if I had a config that wasn't below zero, but for this exact setting I don't think there's a true equivalent.

Last edited:

andromxda

New Fan
Jul 14, 2019
Hope it's not too late to come into this thread, but I'm having an issue where changing voicebanks to a singer of a different language crashes the program. I didn't like the way Fukase English's voicebank sounded with the cover I was working on, and wanted to switch to KYO to see how he would sound, and I fully intended to use a plugin to change the phonemes to fit into "engrish". Despite restarting the program and even restarting my computer, it crashes every time I try to switch to a japanese voice. It works fine if I switch to another english bank like DEX or Megpoid English, etc. I was able to kinda work around it by making a new Vocaloid track with KYO and copy/pasting everything, but when I do this it gets rid of all the phonemes, and I don't wanna spend another hour and a half retyping all the lyrics, as well as the extra time it'll take me to figure out how to type them out in Japanese phonetics, when I really wish I could just use an English - Japanese plugin. :(

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Hope it's not too late to come into this thread, but I'm having an issue where changing voicebanks to a singer of a different language crashes the program. I didn't like the way Fukase English's voicebank sounded with the cover I was working on, and wanted to switch to KYO to see how he would sound, and I fully intended to use a plugin to change the phonemes to fit into "engrish". Despite restarting the program and even restarting my computer, it crashes every time I try to switch to a japanese voice. It works fine if I switch to another english bank like DEX or Megpoid English, etc. I was able to kinda work around it by making a new Vocaloid track with KYO and copy/pasting everything, but when I do this it gets rid of all the phonemes, and I don't wanna spend another hour and a half retyping all the lyrics, as well as the extra time it'll take me to figure out how to type them out in Japanese phonetics, when I really wish I could just use an English - Japanese plugin. :(
I have never heard of Vocaloid 5 crashing when switching from English to Japanese banks or experienced a problem like it.

Can you test if it crashes when you use a really small amount of lyrics (like a sentence or two)? Maybe the file is too big and that's why it's crashing (because when the lyrics amount is very big, it takes a long time for V5 to re-render the new changes)?
What if you try using the knife tool to slice the song into smaller sections, so when you change the singer, it hopefully won't crash?

Unfortunately, there are NO plugins for V5 that allow you to put in Japanese phonetics quickly/easily. (There are for older versions of Vocaloid Editor, though.)

The phonemes for Japanese and English Vocaloids do NOT match, most of them become silent upon switching except for a few vowels (ex: the "a" sound works for both languages), so even if V5 wasn't crashing, you still have to put in a LOT of effort to make Japanese Vocaloids speak English. You can't just switch between English and Japanese Vocaloids and have them sing easily and instantly, you have to painstakingly edit each phoneme for every single lyric.

If it helps, Japanese only have 5 vowels (a "ah", e "ay", i "ee", o "oh", u "oo"). Japanese is a syllabary language (meaning everything that is not a vowel is ALWAYS in a consonant + vowel pair except for the "n" sound (ex: ka, ma, ni, pu, te, do). If you want to have Japanese Vocaloids speak English, you have to use really tiny note boxes to cut off the extra vowel sound or use things like DYN to make the sound go quiet, or use "_" after some sounds in order to make the vowel not as noticeable. Japanese Vocaloids will always have an accent due to their limited vowels and the syllable pairs. So, you have to think of English words as Japanese accented words (ex: "I love you" would be "ai rabu yuu").

Reactions: mobius017

andromxda

New Fan
Jul 14, 2019
I have never heard of Vocaloid 5 crashing when switching from English to Japanese banks or experienced a problem like it.

Can you test if it crashes when you use a really small amount of lyrics (like a sentence or two)? Maybe the file is too big and that's why it's crashing (because when the lyrics amount is very big, it takes a long time for V5 to re-render the new changes)?
What if you try using the knife tool to slice the song into smaller sections, so when you change the singer, it hopefully won't crash?

Unfortunately, there are NO plugins for V5 that allow you to put in Japanese phonetics quickly/easily. (There are for older versions of Vocaloid Editor, though.)

The phonemes for Japanese and English Vocaloids do NOT match, most of them become silent upon switching except for a few vowels (ex: the "a" sound works for both languages), so even if V5 wasn't crashing, you still have to put in a LOT of effort to make Japanese Vocaloids speak English. You can't just switch between English and Japanese Vocaloids and have them sing easily and instantly, you have to painstakingly edit each phoneme for every single lyric.

If it helps, Japanese only have 5 vowels (a "ah", e "ay", i "ee", o "oh", u "oo"). Japanese is a syllabary language (meaning everything that is not a vowel is ALWAYS in a consonant + vowel pair except for the "n" sound (ex: ka, ma, ni, pu, te, do). If you want to have Japanese Vocaloids speak English, you have to use really tiny note boxes to cut off the extra vowel sound or use things like DYN to make the sound go quiet, or use "_" after some sounds in order to make the vowel not as noticeable. Japanese Vocaloids will always have an accent due to their limited vowels and the syllable pairs. So, you have to think of English words as Japanese accented words (ex: "I love you" would be "ai rabu yuu").
Honestly, I was simply planning on trying out the option that shows up in the drop down menu for job plugins that says “convert phonemes to current language” just to get a base to work off of. I think my biggest issue is I’m too scared to accept that it’s simply a lot more work and i’ll have to deal with it instead of desperately searching for shortcuts. A lot of your input is really helpful though, since even after three years of trying to figure this out, I still consider myself beginner level when it comes to tuning.

gmny

New Fan
Nov 18, 2020
I can input the notes with the pencil, I can see the notes and the notes play when I click on them individually, but sometimes I can't hear the notes on playback. Notes suddenly disappear, then reappear, sometimes I can see and hear notes on playback, sometimes I can't hear the notes but I can see them. Notes showing up on the grid disappear whenever I add more notes. Midi records, but the notes don't show. In settings/preferences, I don't get any audio choice options in Vocaloid 5 Editor drop down menu. This is totally unusable. 16 GB RAM, 3.0 GHZ FL Studio

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)