• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Vocaloids you disliked but learned to love

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I feel like everyone has that one Vocaloid that even if you hated them once, they grew on you qith time or even because of an update. I'm curious to see which Vocaloid(s) yhat was for you guys

For me, oy was Luka. I really disliked Luka for a long time. Basically the only things I liked that were Luka was...her hair. I hadn't even heard Luka Luka Night Fever because of it, just Miku covers of it, let alone other songs. But when Luka V4X was released, she gained me as a fan, and I bought her months after her release. I didn't mind the tone change, even now when I like Luka V2, I don't mind it. The drsign change is what brought me in though, she looked so stunning and I felt I needed to like her to fully appreciate her beauty. I spent hours listening to just Luka and now she is one of my favorites.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Gumi and Gakupo.
I used to dislike Gumi but somewhat recently I've changed my mind, mostly thanks to DECO*27's Gumi songs. I think she's now among my top 5 favourite Vocaloids (well, 5th spot is a tie between Gumi and Kaito, I'm not sure who I like more haha)

Gakupo used to be a meh for me, but now I think he's not that bad, there are great Gakupo songs out there that I need to explore. Plus I think his design is cool.

Reactions: violethaze

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
Not a Vocaloid but IA english. When they first showed previews of her voice I was majorly disappointed because of how different she sounds but now I love her oops

RawBeansP

feng yi supremacy
Apr 8, 2018
elsewhere looking for oarfish
Piko is the first that comes to mind. I used to really hate him, one of my least favorites along IA and Len. I thought he was super high and nasal. Over the last few years I've found some really good uses with him though. and honestly? i think he's just one of those loids that struck me as bad bc of the overwhelming bad usage of him. he's a good boy and I like him a lot more now and it's a shame he's getting the Engloid treatment

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
(Piko has noticeably better covers than originals for some reason)

I hated Meiko for a short period of time, mainly because all I had heard of her was a few (very popular) songs I still despise that use her poorly. Once I heard some better songs with her, I realized I liked her a lot.

Lola has a similar issue, where most usage of her I heard was poor. Kodakami, Puffihn, and a few others use her really well though, and she has such a unique tone. I'm coming around on Sweet Ann.

At first I didn't care for Daina and Maika, but I've grown to love them, and now they're pretty high on my "want to buy" list.

When I just got into vocaloid, I very briefly despised Fukase (shows you how new I am), but now that I think about it, I don't have the slightest idea why.

Reactions: violethaze

violethaze

Aspiring Fan
Apr 11, 2018
Chile
I really disliked Miku at first when I was like in the pre 2011 vocaloid days. Ehh it happens.
I disliked uhh Tone Rion and Gachapoid but found a lot of good uses of them.
I also disliked Tianyi at first but she got a lot of good edm songs after so...lol

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
For me it's gumi and maika.
IDK what exactly happened with gumi...there are just so many gumi songs I like that she ended up growing on me.

I'm not a big fan of maika's tone, but I admire the amount of creativity people put into using her for mutliple languages. There's a lot of maika songs I like too....go figure....

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
I guess like a lot of people, I didn't like Miku (or any of the Cryptonloids, for that matter) when I first discovered her. I went straight from discovering Vocaloid/the Cryptonloids to listening to UTAU.

Idk when or why I really started to like her tbh... I think it was probably the gradual exposure to various songs that suited my tastes more than the standard popular ones (ex. Ryo's stuff), and the release of her appends soon after I got into the fandom.

So yeah, she and Meiko are the only ones out of the group that I like now. Uh...really have no idea when/why I started to like Meiko tbh. Probably the same deal as with Miku (gradual exposure to diverse songs that I preferred). Also, Meiko Whisper is one of my favourite vbs. So dreamy. :rion_lili:

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Satinather

#Germanoid
Apr 8, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Zunko! I installed her trial version because I wanted to test a female japanese voicebank but not "waste" trials of Vocaloids I liked, so I downloaded Zunko's trial since I thought she was boring. The moment I used her for the first time was the moment I fell in love with her. :D

Reactions: DefiantKitsune

ramencup

trashlord of the shadow realm
Apr 11, 2018
my room
For quite a while I actually hated Lily, I thought her voice was monotone and inexpressive. Then she just clicked somehow.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I didn't like Rana at first. I thought she was another V3 loid that was desperately trying to appeal to the moe market as opposed to actually being a good vb. Late V3 era was not the most appealing era of Vocaloid....
Then I saw some more fanart of her design and warmed up to her. I love pink. I love rainbows. I love all things girly.
Then I heard some songs with her, and dear lord her demos did her no justice. They aren't the worst demos we've ever gotten, but they did not show off what she is truly capable of. Her voice is astounding- one of the best V3s imo. It's powerful. It's versatile. It's amazing. Now she's one of my favorites.

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
Luka, 'cause of a comparison that grew on me out of habit... she'd get paired with Gakupo in duets and I always thought other choices would have been better, so I always had this impression of "eh when Luka sings everything is so bland" out of habit I guess. But after some years, with her V4, I gave her another shot and she's grown quite a bit on me. My initial response to Uni was also "oh no," but she's okay now too. I think that the more good songs I find with them, I'll be more enthusiastic. Lastly, I still have a hard time with Miki, but now I don't immediately ignore every song suggestion with her so that's progress heh.

Last edited:

MystSaphyr

Yamaha ha ha ha ha
Apr 8, 2018
Tennessee, USA
mystsaphyr.me
When IA first came out, I heard Headphone Actor and I was just instantly unimpressed. She sounded so bored and bland to me, and for a long while she was one of my least favorites. I didn't outright DISLIKE her like I did Piko and Chika, but she just did not interest me in the least.

Then ONE came around, and my interest for CeVIO piqued. I fell in love with ONE's voice and design and I started watching more and more concert/MMD videos with her and... well, with IA! They're a package deal right? By the time I decided I'd get ONE (a couple of months ago) I had an iPad, and I decided I'd at LEAST get IA for the Mobile Vocaloid Editor. Strictly as a duet partner for ONE, of course.

Now I'm working on 2 solo covers with IA Rocks and 1st Place owns my soul. What happened.

BigScreenTV

A Creature of Want, Filled with Noodles
Aug 2, 2018
Not really dislike, but when I first listened to Tianyi I didn't really understand why she was so popular. After listening to ToriSama's songs I started to like her more.

I had the same feeling about Oliver, but after listening to some good covers I think that the reason I disliked him was because the songs I listened to weren't tuned well.

Fukase

Fukase and Engloid Artist/User
Apr 8, 2018
I don't think I ever hated Oliver, but I feel bad for ignoring him for a while. Oliver became one of my favorites, because of Fukase (the Olikase duets somehow made me feel better). Fukase became an instant favorite, when I discovered him, so I never hated him ever.

Now, I originally hated Piko when he was going to be released. I simply hated him for being another Japanese Vocaloid (at time I was a huge Engloid fan, but I still am), but over time I grew to like him. Nowadays, I'm really neutral to him, but I do enjoy listening to the real Piko more.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Lola -- the first time I heard her voice was when I'd found a list of all the Vocaloids (at the time I was young and new to the whole scene so I only knew about the Cryptonloids, Gumi, Gackpo, and Piko -- long story about him, don't ask), and was going through listening to one or more songs of each one just to have heard their voices. And for her, I heard that one cover of Bad Apple that has a lot of views. No offense to the creator, but her voice was pitched up quite high for her, and the tuning wasn't really understandable to me, so I... just did not want to listen to her ever again. Of course, I have learned the errors of my ways <3

Paradoxical

Linguistics Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 7, 2018
Canada
Both Sweet Ann and Avanna got the cold shoulder from me for a while. All the usages I found of them tended to try to make them sound as deep/mature as possible, which also resulted in them sounding very weak/muffled.

I eventually warmed up to Ann when I found better usages of her. As for Avanna, I didn't start to like her until I bought her. I only had 2 vocaloids at the time and both were male. I bought her on sale so I could at least have some coverage. I fell in love with her the same day. All it took was being able to mess with her parameters for me to discover that she was way more versatile than I ever imagined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)