• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Vtubing in mainland China just became a bureaucratic nightmare

Exemplar

Veteran
May 17, 2018

It sounds like the lower level bureaucrats in Beijing got to Bililbili again.

Last edited:
Reactions: WyndReed

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@Nova: Just having skimmed over the Reddit post, it looks like the Chinese government passed a bunch of new laws regulating Vtubers. I didn't entirely understand all of it, but it looked like the laws pertain to what they're allowed to discuss, and maybe how much people can donate to them/they can donate to their platforms? There was also stuff in there about the government moderating their posts and encouraging their platforms to use AI/other means to do so.

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
@Nova: Just having skimmed over the Reddit post, it looks like the Chinese government passed a bunch of new laws regulating Vtubers. I didn't entirely understand all of it, but it looked like the laws pertain to what they're allowed to discuss, and maybe how much people can donate to them/they can donate to their platforms? There was also stuff in there about the government moderating their posts and encouraging their platforms to use AI/other means to do so.
The statement I bolded makes me think this stemmed from Coco(I believe that was the Vtuber's name) mentioning Taiwan being a country and not part of China and showing an info-graph? I am not very knowledgeable about the Vtuber scene(or a lot of the controversies surrounding China so I might be wrong about the Taiwan part), but I recall a lot of drama happening for Hololive CHN(their Chinese branch) and Coco having to retire because of it.
Edit: I also cannot remember if Coco was a part of Hololive CHN or was with another company.

Nova

The Man Without The Plan
Staff member
It wasn't that Coco mentioned Taiwan being a country. It was that she said Taiwan period. It's a long story but basically Coco did that(Not with an ill intent mind you) and she (as well as Haato) were forced into a 3-week suspension. Chinese CCP supporters went nuts, to the point that Hololive had to pull out of China. And no it wasn't Coco that had to retire. She's with HololiveJP. What happened is that the entire chinese branch was shut down due to all this.

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
It wasn't that Coco mentioned Taiwan being a country. It was that she said Taiwan period. It's a long story but basically Coco did that(Not with an ill intent mind you) and she (as well as Haato) were forced into a 3-week suspension. Chinese CCP supporters went nuts, to the point that Hololive had to pull out of China. And no it wasn't Coco that had to retire. She's with HololiveJP. What happened is that the entire chinese branch was shut down due to all this.
Thank you for informing me. I had heard it was a mess, but I did not know it went this far.

Exemplar

Veteran
May 17, 2018
It was also Haachama too. They both pulled up their youtube analytics pages that listed how they were doing in Taiwan. So when both videos somehow got their way over to mainland China, they got attacked for something Google/Alphabet did. Neither one of them made any sort of comment about politics at all which made the attacks seem really effing stupid to everyone outside of China.

Cover Corp tried to protect their interests at the time by giving the both of them 3 week suspensions but the attacks haven't stopped and it did barely anything at all. Coco still has troll problems that clog up her live comments feeds.

Protecting Coco was a smart move on Cover's part. It was basically her idea to expand the company's vtuber roster to include westerners. As of yesterday, all of the Hololive En vtubers have at least half a million subscribers with Gawr Gura expected to reach a million and a half subscribers over the next few weeks. Quite a feat for 5 streamers in less than 3 months to accomplish. That's one of the other reasons why those reddit threads treat her as a hero who helped save Cover.

Nezuh

Official Piko Husband
Apr 17, 2018
Argentina
www.youtube.com
omg wow
That level of nationalism is never good. This does not make China look good at all.
I was already aware of the situation with Coco. It's like everyone says here, she simply said Taiwan while reading the YouTube analytics. It's insane.

Is it possible that China passed laws so quickly for such a seemingly small phenomenon though? i mean boi i didn't know china was so defensive and over the top

pipeyume

A Chinese student. Love Vocaloid, Touhou and Vtb.
Oct 20, 2020
I think this may be fake. I haven't heard such a law for Vtuber. After all,Vtuber market is not that big in China.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)