• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

What do you guys think of physical copies of Vocaloids?

Mr_Meester

In a commited relationship with Miku
Dec 31, 2022
US of A
Hey everyone. I've been thinking of getting a couple physical copies of Vocaloids, but I'm not sure if I should. I do like the look of them and would like to put them on a shelf, but digital downloads are more convenient. What do you all think?

Reactions: WyndReed

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
I feel like it's more secure... However due to the difficulties to get some of them (especially those of Asian voicebanks) and because it's more expensive this way, I tend to solely stick to digital copies... And it's even much more difficult considering now you ought to specify the option or make up an alternative path to emulate a built-in CD driver...

(However I did try to look up second hand copies of YANHEV3, crypton's site Miku V3 bundle to access her V3 english and even SeeU box or Lily's starter pack because digital copies aren't available anymore, or in case of satrter pack à la Lily's or Arsloid's is that at least you have the whole engine bundled with the voicebank... Now I own Miku V4x it's less annoying but I could only use V2 engine and V3 Tiny editor so far since I was too late to buy either V3 or V4 editors back in the time.... and V5/V6 are too expensive x.x"' Seems Fuiro will wait until I install and use her)

Reactions: PearlStarLight5

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
Getting physical copies of Vocaloids is getting pretty hard nowadays, but in my opinion still worth it. If you buy them digitally (through Yamaha's website for example) you will only get the voicebank and maybe some voice material if that's included. Physical voicebanks often come with extra artwork, music, VSQ/VSQX files and off vocals for demo songs. If it's just about the looks, making your own boxes isn't that hard and definitely cheaper.

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
I'm kind of contradictory in that I get really excited when I buy a physical copy and when it arrives, but after arrival it sits in a corner and collects dust. (It helps I don't have a good place to display them I guess.) Most of the time I'm perfectly content with just digital downloads, but I do like to buy physical versions sometimes, especially if the bank is old/discontinued (I have an unopened Luka V2 I'm scared to open sjfl) or there are cool extras with the physical copies (I love my Asterian tote bag... although admittedly I didn't know it was coming with the box when I bought it sdjk).

Last edited:

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
If you like it then go for it. But, as other comments said, it quite hard to find "some" physical copies even on yahoo auction or rakuten jp, simply because some product are discontinued long ago.

I do have physical box like IA bundle, it come with project file and audio sample. Some product may different but mostly they come with goodies like booklet, artbook, card, bag etc. Just like when you brought a Music CD.
Although, these box and all the goodies will deteriorate overtime, correcting dust, moisture and fungus, ants etc so it need some maintenance.

In my opinion. Digital download is a better choice overall. it's cheaper, it doesn't need physical space to keep them, 0 maintenance, it's dust free and won't deteriorate overtime. You can just download, install and good to go. No need for CD drive!

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
I agree with all everyone said, and also in my opinion physical is always the best option: not only for Vocaloid products, but also for concert movies, music and games.
I love collecting the beautiful boxes, and I really like that I own them. With digital, your purchase depends on the company server, and someday that server will shut down. You don't own them. But with physical purchases like Vocaloid software, concerts, music and games, I know my purchase is safe. And not only that: I can make as many backup copies as I want, and in case of movies and music, I can even use the blu-ray or the CD as the master copy and then make my own disc-rips. with the disc you don't need to download anything and you have always the best quality in terms of audio and video.
the physical boxes also come with extra valuable software, goods and extra discs, and the retail price is usually the same between physical and digital.. and yes, Vocaloid boxes are becoming super rare. some small shops in Akihabara can have them, but finding them online is really difficult, especially V2 and V3. it just feels so good having them :miku_ani_lili:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)