• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Discussion

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
logo-acnh-en.png

Hi, everyone. I thought it would be fun to make a thread dedicated to Animal Crossing: New Horizons while we wait for it to be released on the 20th. Feel free to share news, discuss it in general, and maybe when the game comes out, we can share friend codes and screenshots of our towns?

My questions for you:
  • Do any of you already have plans for what you will name your town/character? (I still don't have a clue!)
  • You can make custom clothes in the game, so I was wondering how many people are planning on making Vocaloid-themed outfits?

My random thoughts:
  • It looks like in New Leaf, you could change your eye color with contacts, so I am hoping they will have more unnatural eye colors we can pick from (like pink or white or something).
  • Lastly, I preordered the Animal Crossing: New Horizons Official Companion Guide, but it doesn't come out until April 9th! If there's something useful in the guide, I will be sure to share it.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I've got a preorder on Amazon for the standard physical edition. I'm gonna name my character after my real name, but I have no clue what to call my town this time.

Apparently, you can customise your character however you want before you start the game (so no more answering questions just to avoid an ugly face!), but I can't recall seeing any unusual eye colours in what's been leaked. Come to think of it, there weren't too many hairstyle and colour choices in the leaks either. I think you might be able to unlock more unusual hairstyles and hair/eye colours later on though.

Reactions: uncreepy

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Me and my twin are going to be sharing a town, so we somehow have to decide on a town name together (we're really indecisive on our own and combined is even worse). orz When we played the first AC, we called our town NoWhere. 😂

Not having to answer questions to get the face you want seems really nice! I was worried about that, so I'm glad you mentioned we don't have to do it anymore.

Unrelated, but I saw this news just now talking about the tune creator:

Sep 21, 2019
What a fun idea for a thread!

I have no clue what I'll name my character or town. I'm thinking maybe I'll call the town "Mirai" after Project Mirai's "town".

Making Vocaloid themed clothes? Hell yeah! I've already made a ton on my New Leaf save files, lol.

I'm hoping there'll be a little more of an interesting variety of hairstyles, and I'm hoping for more color choices for hair and eyes. So glad that I no longer have tp answer questions to get the face that I want; I remember having to restart the old games multiple times before I got the one I wanted!

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
Unrelated, but I saw this news just now talking about the tune creator:
I can't wait to make a crappy version of the Mario theme as my town theme again. :LOL: Or failing that, I could try making short snippets of Vocaloid songs...

So glad that I no longer have tp answer questions to get the face that I want; I remember having to restart the old games multiple times before I got the one I wanted!
The ugly faces always creeped me out as a kid, so I hated the question thing based on that alone lol.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
One thing I think I remember hearing is that you can't change the date/time to cheat in this game like you could in the original Gamecube game. I'm kind of concerned about how hard it will be to get enough bells in order to make some cool-looking characters with limited funds. (I just wanna have fun and be artistic and don't wanna grind for bells on top of having homework, honestly.)

As a side note, I was trying to think about what I could name my character and how I might be able to dress them when I realized that if the customization options are really good, maybe I can recreate some of (in my humble opinion) the most iconic visual kei band outfits with AC? Kyaaah 😍 that would be awesome. Getting to make Vocaloids and jrockers would be like, the best island experience ever lol

Sep 21, 2019
Since the date/time cheat might not work anymore, I hope they introduce a means similar to New Leaf's island that provided you with means to easily get stuff you could sell for a crap ton of bells. (I remember when I first unlocked the island in New Leaf I made nearly 1 million bells in one day just from catching sharks/bugs).

One feature I really want is just the ability to make custom pants/shorts, especially if the actual pants/shorts they offer in New Horizons are as limited as New Leaf. :P

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
Since the date/time cheat might not work anymore, I hope they introduce a means similar to New Leaf's island that provided you with means to easily get stuff you could sell for a crap ton of bells. (I remember when I first unlocked the island in New Leaf I made nearly 1 million bells in one day just from catching sharks/bugs).
I constantly played New Leaf at night just to catch the more expensive fish and bugs on the island lol. Though I do wish New Horizons has a less tedious way of making money. It was annoying constantly travelling between the island and home just to sell critters because you filled up your inventory space.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Me and my sister were talking about how we wanted to share our island (we thought she could have half and I could have half to decorate how we want).

I seems like you are presented with 4 shapes in the game to pick from, but I found a 5th image, so maybe the shapes are generated?
shapes.png

show.png

I decided to look up some advice about starting out your game for a good island. They said that you can later change locations of facilities you've created, locations of slopes on cliffs, and the river's path. (We thought that it would be good if the river basically split the island in half in order to mark our half of the island. lol) The way to change the island is called Island Designer.
terraforming.jpg

Things to consider while deciding to re-roll your island are location of rocks, the airport, number of ponds, starting fruit, and starting villagers:
  • Resident Services: Make sure it's located near the middle, because you have to go there a lot to pay your loan, buy stuff, and make DIY items and you might not be able to change the location of this later.
  • Rocks: Do not pick an island with rocks close to a river or cliff. When you hit rocks with a shovel, bells might come out of it, so if it's surrounded by something it might make it impossible to obtain a portion of the bells that flew out of the rock.
  • Airport location: You probably can't change this later.
  • Slopes: You can change/add slopes later, but in the beginning you will have to deal with annoying placement until then (or when you get a ladder).
  • Rivers: You will get a vaulting pole and can change it with Island Designer later.
  • Ponds: There are song fish/bugs that you can only get from ponds. Having more makes getting them easier.

Also be careful about picking your hemisphere, island name, and character name, because you probably can't change that later.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Another thing I want to write about is town melodies. I am pretty sure we will only get to use C major/A minor (all the white keys ABCDEFG). There are lists online of people sharing how to make popular songs (ex: The Sailor Moon theme song). But I was wondering about Vocaloid-related theme songs!

In Japanese, you can search for town tunes with 村メロ (town melo(dy)).

There are a lot of long videos of people making songs in real time, but here is one compilation of some popular songs I am sure you will recognize:

There are blogs with some lists (this one has no pictures, but has a lot of popular ones like Senbonzakura, Melt, Hitorinbo Envy, etc), this one has a ton of image versions of Vocaloid town tunes (click 次のページ at the bottom to go to the next page). There are ones if you search in English for Vocaloid town tunes, but I think the lists aren't as long.

What do you think you want to pick for your town tune? I think I'll have to try out some in order to pick, or at least rotate often.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
My copy should hopefully be arriving tomorrow, I just got the notification it's been dispatched! This will be my first time playing Animal Crossing but I'm looking forward to it since a lot of my friends also play. I'll probably name my character after myself, but I don't know if I'll be able to choose a town name until I'm actually making it. Maybe I'll name it something to do with flowers since I've been in a more floral mood lately. Looking forward to playing it!

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
My copy's been dispatched as well this afternoon. I was hearing that some peoples' preorders had been delayed to Tuesday because of coronavirus and Amazon changing policies to only accomodate essential items until April 5th, but it was mainly affecting people in the US. Can't wait for some quarantine island building. \^.^/

I was thinking of naming my town 'Corona' as a joke, but I know I'll regret it later. But on the other hand, I can set the town theme to 'Rhythm of the Night' by Corona. XD

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Meh, me and my sister felt like rumps and decided to cancel our physical order from Gamestop because of the virus. Gamestop basically announced on Twitter that they were going to have employees argue with law enforcement if they try to shut them down for being non-essential and everyone on Twitter is annoyed that Gamestop is mistreating the workers. You can get a refund within 30 days, if it's later than that, you get in store credit. Can't cancel over the phone or online, has to be in person. Just don't wanna deal with the situation and felt embarrassed about lining up for Animal Crossing tomorrow. So we bought the download version from the Nintendo store, which is being encouraged by Gamestop employees on Reddit. It's available at midnight EST. The download takes about an hour and 20 min. Can read more about the situation here:

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Here are my thoughts so far:
I thought that the way you were greeted as the Resident Representative (the person who set up the town) compared to the next family member was really different and unfair! As the person who made the island, you got out of the plane with 2 animals, got to painstakingly place all 3 of your tents, were clapped at and congratulated for having awesome ideas, got to toast over a drink by the fire... And then as the 2nd family member, Tom Nook just shoved the tent in your hands (didn't even give you time to set it up!) along with the phone and that was that. No clapping, no drinks... No fair!

Me and my sister set up our town together, so we picked the name and stuff together, but her character got to be the Rep. So I got to experience the clapping and fun through her, but if you took turns alone instead of watching your family member, joining the island as the next person is pretty lame. Also related, but we had been planning to make a boy character and girl character for each of us, but it turns out that you can only have 1 character per account. So if we want to do that, we have to sign up with new email accounts! How annoying!

I am also disappointed, because I was hoping that I could maybe switch the language to Japanese (my account is Japanese), but you can't. Guess I get to keep dreaming, the only options you have are to scan a code or delete your town/character. :{

I know this review is kind of negative so far, but we only played long enough to set up our characters/place our tents. We will be playing throughout the day and trying to earn some items/money and probably have more fun (guess we'll just keep selling fruit, weeds, shells, and talking to Axel and not Rocket cause we want her to leave, so we are shunning her). Oh yeah, I can't believe we are trapped in the circle of the river and can't access half of the town until we can either build a bridge or get a vaulting pole. We had been planning to make sure our town was perfect with rocks and stuff, but we're just surrounded by a rivery prison and couldn't check it out.

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
Meh, me and my sister felt like rumps and decided to cancel our physical order from Gamestop because of the virus. Gamestop basically announced on Twitter that they were going to have employees argue with law enforcement if they try to shut them down for being non-essential and everyone on Twitter is annoyed that Gamestop is mistreating the workers. You can get a refund within 30 days, if it's later than that, you get in store credit. Can't cancel over the phone or online, has to be in person. Just don't wanna deal with the situation and felt embarrassed about lining up for Animal Crossing tomorrow. So we bought the download version from the Nintendo store, which is being encouraged by Gamestop employees on Reddit. It's available at midnight EST. The download takes about an hour and 20 min. Can read more about the situation here:
i heard abt gamestop staying open despite being encouraged to shut down like every other store... I didn't realise they were going to argue with the law just to stay open??? I feel bad for employees having this forced onto them during a global f*cking pandemic :/

they say their staying open as an "essential bussiness" because they're selling "essential" items such as webcams, keyboards, mics, etc. i can see how phone chargers would be essential, but idk if this is the time to buy for a new pc setup :mirai_ani_lili:

sorry this was off topic lol. at least they're offering refunds

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
I've heard about the GameStop bullshit. Absolutely disgusting! I hope this will be the thing that finally drives them out of business.

Anyhow, I've named my town 'Azure Isle'. Not the most creative name, but I know I won't regret it somewhere down the line whenever I boot up the game. Just practised crafting stuff, and I've already donated enough fish to encourage Blathers to build the museum. I've got an idea of making one half of my island a super-developed estate full of houses and the standard AC buildings (town hall, shop, Able Sisters, etc.), and the other half just being wildlife full of trees. Sort of like my home region in real life. ^^;

• Wow
Reactions: Krin and uncreepy

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
This video is SO helpful, it has so many tips for "secret" things and shortcuts, I can't stress watching this video enough:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)