• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Do you think Soundcloud pro is worth it?

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA

It's interesting to think about because with a change like this you lose a lot of users, and then that makes paying for your service even less desirable. If a ton of people leave, why would you pay to keep an account if there will be less people listening?
What do you guys think? Is 12 dollars a month for Soundcloud pro worth it?

• Angry
Reactions: ___

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Good Lord. What the heck? Who greenlit this? Who thought this was a good idea?

I don't use Soundcloud for much of anything other than uploading WIPs for feedback, so I'll let more experienced users decide if $12 a month is worth it. But my God, they're majorly screwing over everyone that doesn't wanna fork over nearly $150 a year. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Good Lord. What the heck? Who greenlit this? Who thought this was a good idea?
Clyp did the same thing awhile back, except they were a little more generous and gave free users a 6 hour limit instead of 3.
But it baffled me when they did this because they aren't even really a big name? Like how many people do you know that use Clyp? And they charge 8 dollars a month. I can't imagine paying 8 dollars a month for a service when I don't know anyone who uses it.

Sep 21, 2019
Well, I guess it's time for a good Soundcloud alternative to rise up, smh. I'm with Peaches, though, who the hell thought this was a good idea? Of course this happens right when I finally decide to get an account, too.

I don't think the Pro would be worth it, assuming that lots of users leave because then SC is kinda pointless. I also wouldn't get it for the reason of it feels like I'm being extorted (though this might be a strong word...). What's with all these websites doing things to destroy themselves and turn away their userbase lately? I saw Youtube coming a mile away, but Soundcloud? Took me by surprise... :len_rylitah:

Also, I found this thread on Utaforum discussing Soundcloud alternatives: Soundcloud alternatives

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Piapro is an option, although i personally cannot get it to work for the life of me.

EDIT: well i'll be it worked

Last edited:
Reactions: mobius017

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
I only use Soundcloud to upload WIPs (private account) and covers (public account), and I don't really advertise my covers on SC much so they don't get many plays there anyway. Certainly not enough to justify paying to keep uploading there; my old ones will remain if I don't do anything, so... that's what I'll do.

I'll upload the one last cover I'll be finished with there before the changes are implemented, and then I just won't use it anymore (at least, not to post my covers on). I can do just fine anywhere else, aha.

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
I have no way to afford it, plus the last time I uploaded anything there was years ago. I could probably stay with Soundcloud free and be fine for a good while at my rate of productivity as long as I clean out some plug-n-plays that I don't even know why I posted.

My only real concern was being able to embed things in a thread post since I'd mainly be using an upload to share on here anyway, so I went through the list of sites and saw Google Drive and might just use that. (Did a test run and it worked okay although it's not "pretty" as a SC embed lel) Audiomack is supported too so I might use that if I ever finish this cover from Hades

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Since it was announced that Soundcloud apparently lost over $100 million in 2016, I've been waiting for the inevitable changes to their platform. It looks like this is their last ditch attempt to turn the website into something financially viable. Whether it will work, I'm not sure. But since they're currently losing money like a sieve full of water, I don't think they'll ever fully return to being free.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Since it was announced that Soundcloud apparently lost over $100 million in 2016, I've been waiting for the inevitable changes to their platform. It looks like this is their last ditch attempt to turn the website into something financially viable.
Man, so they've kinda hit rock bottom. I don't really think this method will work, the whole point of Souncloud is to be able to share your sounds with an audience and when you drive off users, you drive off potential audiences...
I didn't realize things were going so badly for soundcloud. Rest in peace I guess.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Is Piapro Vocaloid only?
Piapro isn't VOCALOID-exclusive but is mainly aimed at VOCALOID and UTAU from what I can tell, in particular products associated with Crypton. It's good for a VOCALOID fan but I still don't think it works well for more than hosting instrumentals and such.

Personally will be moving back to YouTube and posting on Audiomack from now on. Audiomack is by far the best alternative on offer, and I'd even go as far as to say that it's better than SoundCloud. Heck, have you seen that is has a dedicated field for producers/featured vocalists? Who's doing it like them? Plus it has similar functionality for reposting/commenting which SoundCloud had while also allowing you to do stuff that was paywalled in SoundCloud (replacing audio, pinning tracks) for free. Loving it so far.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Nice to see they listened to their audience! If only YouTube would do that, then it'd have a lot less issues.
Unfortunately, Youtube has a lot less competition than soundcloud does, so they can get away with more :/
Hopefully we see a viable video sharing website competitor in the future...I hate youtubes layout every time they change it it gets so much uglier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)