• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Engloid reviews + opinions

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
How much phoneme editing do engloids need? I have never used an engloid (excluding Eleanor & Maki), but I am thinking of maybe getting Oliver sometime soon. Also, how hard is Oliver to use?

AmazingStrange39

Miku-Avanna-Gumi enthusiast
May 23, 2019
How much phoneme editing do engloids need? I have never used an engloid (excluding Eleanor & Maki), but I am thinking of maybe getting Oliver sometime soon. Also, how hard is Oliver to use?
I don't have much experience with Oliver myself since I've only tried him a bit, but here's a sliding scale of what I do have:

AVANNA: A few touch-ups here and there. Has nice, natural pronunciation but can be a bit hard to understand, though proper equalizing might help.
Miku V4 English: Some pronunciation fixes, some things are pretty frustrating to try to fix tbh but she's not necessarily a total nightmare to use imo?
Miku V3 English: A large system of pronunciation fixes, nothing impossible to get used to. You can't just delete her accent though so you have to not mind some accent showing through xD

In both Mikus' cases some cross-synthesis might fix each other's problems.

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Wow, I basically forgot about this thread!
Gonna be honest, with how much I use English Vocaloid, I've kind of gotten used to its quirks. It's hard to say how much phoneme editing a Vocaloid requires since it depends what you want to use it for. The thing with Oliver is his volume inconsistencies, and his warbling choir-y tone doesn't lend itself well to projects where you need the singer to be understandable. Avanna's consonants are her real weak point >.<

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Resident Oliver user @peaches2217 can probably help you, lol!
He’s… not beginner-friendly. Or intermediate-friendly. Not exactly advanced-friendly either, let’s be real. In terms of difficulties working around his issues, I’d put him on-par, quality-wise, with Sonika. That said, he’s not impossible to get good results with, as his plethora of popular songs shows, it’s just a matter of patience and acceptance of his limitations. If you’re looking for an Engloid that’s smooth and easy to use, look as far from Oliver as possible, but if you don’t mind those issues or if you just like Oliver’s voice, I say go for it!

Regarding phoneme editing, Engloids don’t need nearly as much of it as the fandom likes to insist they do. An edit here and there to help aid in smooth transition and natural pronunciation makes all the difference; everything else is just nitpicky.

Nezuh

Official Piko Husband
Apr 17, 2018
Argentina
www.youtube.com
Wouldn't Fukase be a good Engloid for beginners?
I would say that if you want Oliver but are too rookie to him, Fukase is the closest best option :D

It has a British accent like all japonloids, but I didn't find it too difficult to use or understand.
Mind you, I'm not a native English speaker at all lol

Oh, people also say that his licence is very restrictive, but I don't know much about that, sorry.

Reactions: peaches2217

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Wouldn't Fukase be a good Engloid for beginners?
I would say that if you want Oliver but are too rookie to him, Fukase is the closest best option :D
I've heard mixed things about Fukase, honestly: like Miku V4 English, he's either one of the easiest Engloids to use or one of the hardest, and I see little in-between on that. So do keep that in mind going in, but again, don't let difficulty level discourage you if you genuinely enjoy a vocal! (I've only worked with his Japanese so far, which is actually pretty difficult, but I enjoy his tone in English more, so I imagine he's easier to work with... I've gotta use his English sometime.)

Honestly, for beginners, I heavily recommend Cyber Diva/Songman. Cyva's a breeze to work with, and Songman, while a little more challenging, is so smooth and natural-sounding. If you don't use V5, you can also try Avanna! She's a cult favorite outside of the vocalsynth fandom for a good reason.

Reactions: morrysillusion

AmazingStrange39

May 23, 2019
Wow, I basically forgot about this thread!
Gonna be honest, with how much I use English Vocaloid, I've kind of gotten used to its quirks. It's hard to say how much phoneme editing a Vocaloid requires since it depends what you want to use it for. The thing with Oliver is his volume inconsistencies, and his warbling choir-y tone doesn't lend itself well to projects where you need the singer to be understandable. Avanna's consonants are her real weak point >.<
oh yes, her voice is gorgeous but her consonants are so weird

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
If it's a volume thing you can just use a vocal rider on them. If it's a length thing use the velocity parameter. I never really noticed a problem with avanna she sounds great out of the box a lot better than most English vocaloids.

On the subject of fukase, his English bank is really high quality for a Japanese English bank. He shares a similar voice type to Oliver and Len. He doesn't suffer from Oliver's poor recordings and breathy husk that makes Oliver hard to understand. But they both require a good EQ and mixing. If you are good at actual mixing then I would recommend them both.

AmazingStrange39

May 23, 2019
If it's a volume thing you can just use a vocal rider on them. If it's a length thing use the velocity parameter. I never really noticed a problem with avanna she sounds great out of the box a lot better than most English vocaloids.

On the subject of fukase, his English bank is really high quality for a Japanese English bank. He shares a similar voice type to Oliver and Len. He doesn't suffer from Oliver's poor recordings and breathy husk that makes Oliver hard to understand. But they both require a good EQ and mixing. If you are good at actual mixing then I would recommend them both.
I'm sure I can find solutions for her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)