• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Fake Hatsune Miku VEVO Channel Drama

There is currently a call for Miku fans to report the verified but fake Hatsune Miku VEVO YouTube Channel.
Help Hatsune Miku: Report The Fake MikuHatsuneVevo YouTube Channel!
This channel has uploaded a song called "Sand Planet - Hatsune Miku feat. Nicky Minaj" which is a very questionable video.

I didn't care about this channel much in past; I thought it was just operated by people who don't actually care about Hatsune Miku nor understand who she actually is and just do a job - but now that it started to spread false information about Hatsune Miku and Nicky Minaj, action must be taken!
Since this channel is verified because of its 600.000 subscribers, it can easily manipulate public opinion, especially those of newer VOCALOID fans.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
From what I've seen of this drama (mostly on Amino), the big issue about the channel is that it is making money from ad revenue without crediting producers and very likely without paying them part of the profit.

I don't really care much about the Sand Planet with Nicki Minaj video and most seem to just think of it as a funny joke/meme type of situation, not something spreading lies or otherwise hurting the community.

I don't really know all that much about the situation honestly so take what I say with a grain of salt. But ad revenue on someone else's songs is a muxh bigger deal to me than some stupid single video of Sand Planet with Nicki Minaj poorly edited in

Reactions: RabbitWhale39

Trevor

?
May 2, 2018
I don't think this is that big of a deal. Cfm or even the artist can file a complaint or even a lawsuit. Let's not let this turn into a war. P.S as someone who has had to deal with jrproductions before, I can vouch that he can be... over dramatic at best.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I read about that earlier today and reported the channel. I know the channel, and I've always known it's not official, thus I haven't given the channel much attention.

The biggest problem I see about this channel is that Youtube for some reason has credited it as official, while it obviously isn't. The channel takes advantage of this and makes money from advertising. Also what I've seen is that this channel copies content from the official Hatsune Miku Youtube channel and from some other officially recognized channels (somebody somewhere mentioned Sega feat. Hatsune Miku Project channel).

They're basically getting ad revenue by impersonating as the official Hatsune Miku channel and using music without permission. That's not just against Youtube's policy, but against the law too. I don't understand how Youtube has messed up so bad that they've given this VEVO channel an official status, and despite CFM's complaint they haven't done anything about it.

Lastly, especially new Vocaloid fans may easily believe this is an official channel and there's indeed a (small) chance that the channel may hurt CFM's reputation.

Reactions: idoltrash69

idoltrash69

リンちゃんなう!
I always knew the deal with this "channel" was pretty serious, I'm sure I've already reported it in the past.

The whole thing with not crediting the artists and basically stealing content & ad revenue from said artists is something that needs to be dealt with, for the fansbase's sake, the artists' sake, and CFM's sake.

And of course, spreading misinformation is also a very important issue within the community, and us as fans need to do something about it.

I don't think this is that big of a deal. Cfm or even the artist can file a complaint or even a lawsuit. Let's not let this turn into a war. P.S as someone who has had to deal with jrproductions before, I can vouch that he can be... over dramatic at best.
Since this is YouTube that we talk about, filling a complaint does not help. YouTube's support is the worst you can get, which is why I won't bother to ever upload videos there. My favorite Japan vlogger got some of his videos stolen by a TV channel - and YouTube doesn't care a crap about it and banned his own videos instead. Although he had obvious evidence that it were his own videos that he uploaded ages ago, YouTube didn't listen because that TV channel that stole his videos - was verified.
I understand that Jrharbort's callout sounds like a speech to motivate "soldiers" for an upcoming war, but given the nature of YouTube, numbers are the only thing that can overtrump numbers. There have been many copyright conflicts involving Hatsune Miku in the past that were worse than a channel profiting from stolen videos - and therefore it's better to handle early before it gets worse. It's the best to eliminate cancer before it spreads too far.

Haji

Artistic director at bC
Apr 10, 2018
I'd like to ask one thing. I've found information that Hatsune Miku VEVO channel appeared on YT in 2017. How can it be that the bigger actions wasnt undertaken by CFM then? Or is it a separate issue?

summers50

01010011 00110101 00110000
Apr 9, 2018
MA, USA
I didn't care about this channel much in past; I thought it was just operated by people who don't actually care about Hatsune Miku nor understand who she actually is and just do a job
Ahah, I forgot about this thing. I ran into this channel when I was looking to see how many views ievan polkka (the original miku version that was uploaded way back when) would have gotten by now. Thought it was weird to see the "vevo" version since I was expecting it to be a random user. I think Wikipedia regards it as official too.

Year old post of a user complaining about crediting

"We are legitimate, don't question us" is usually what phone/online scammers push onto the suspicious (from my experience). Could be a stretch, but I can't shake the thought.

razelberii

Bless the Lord, O my Soul
Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
Finally filed a report.
As stated earlier by some users, I think the thing that eats at me the most is the fact that this channel is illegally making money, and YouTube just lets them.

I do wish sometimes to not get involved with YouTube, but sometimes something has to be done.
And simply watching the fake information spread around is not gonna do any good.

It's disappointing that even companies behind their products can't do too much about stuff like this. Does YouTube seem more concerned about the views and popularity than ethics?

Regardless, I'm glad we have things like NicoNico and VocaDB to help us keep track of information. There are multiple ways to get information, so that is certainly a relief.

I'd like to ask one thing. I've found information that Hatsune Miku VEVO channel appeared on YT in 2017. How can it be that the bigger actions wasnt undertaken by CFM then? Or is it a separate issue?
I don't know who told this to you but there is a section on every channel called "About this channel" (or something like that since my interface is in Russian) and it says that this channel is active since 2015.

Haji

Artistic director at bC
Apr 10, 2018
I don't know who told this to you but there is a section on every channel called "About this channel" (or something like that since my interface is in Russian) and it says that this channel is active since 2015.
Ah, yes, thank you, you're right ( :

Nevertheless, the question is still to be answered - why the big issue started NOW, not then? Was it because of Nicky Minaj name appearance? CFM had to know before.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Just dropped a report to YT, but I'm not expecting them to do anything considering the report system is now literally controlled by bots. I tried reporting someone who was using multiple accounts to harass me a couple years back, but YT did jack shit so I had to ignore them until they left me alone.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Ahah, I forgot about this thing. I ran into this channel when I was looking to see how many views ievan polkka (the original miku version that was uploaded way back when) would have gotten by now. Thought it was weird to see the "vevo" version since I was expecting it to be a random user. I think Wikipedia regards it as official too.

Year old post of a user complaining about crediting

"We are legitimate, don't question us" is usually what phone/online scammers push onto the suspicious (from my experience). Could be a stretch, but I can't shake the thought.
In regards to their, "check iTunes" comment, I would point out that according to iTunes that album includes songs named "In the Glay Zone" and "Revasible Doll" and the Funlinkazen Hen remix of Rolling Girl is sung by Miku (if you haven't heard it- it's not), so iTunes clearly isn't a particularly reliable source here....

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I'm glad to see the channel's been taken down. It seems YouTube does listen to their users eventually and correct things.

I wonder if some ignorant "fans" are going to start raging online about how "Miku's channel" got deleted? I hope no one revives Save Miku campaign because of this.

Trevor

?
May 2, 2018
Thank god someone copied "sand planet" ft Nicky minaj before the channel was taken down. Quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)