• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

General Discussion Thread

Tortoiseshel

Aspiring Fan
Aug 23, 2021
Yeah the fear of human artists being replaced by machines is one that comes up again and again in regards to pretty much any of these new technologies. And again, I understand the knee-jerk reaction, but like... Painters still exist even though we have cameras. Drummers still exist even though we have drum machines. And I'm confident that singers will still exist, even long after singing synthesis has progressed to the point of it being more or less indistinguishable from humans. People have a natural desire to create things, and automation isn't going to change that no matter how good it gets. And ideally, rather than being seen as a way to replace human artists, this technology should be seen as a way of lowering the barrier of entry for people who want to create art and music but couldn't for whatever reasons.

Me personally, I like singing and I used to do it a whole lot when I was younger, but a lifetime of respiratory illness + living with some of the worst air pollution in the US has made it so that I can't sing (or hell, talk) for extended periods of time without losing my voice and/or running out of breath. Thus, I want to create a voicebank with my voice that I can use to "sing" without damaging my body- and that other people could use too, if they want. Of course, I wouldn't want people using my voice to do harmful things, like spread hate speech or slander or whatever. But again, that's what end user agreements are for.

A wise woman once said, "You can't fight progress, no matter how strange it sounds." ;Þ

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
So Yamaha announced they're making a new Vocaloid....and choosing a voice provider via an open audition from February 15th-28th on a phone app called nana.
【2022年2月28日まで】歌って応募!ボカロになれるオーディション

The details page on Nana music explains that the Grand prix winner will get to record for a Vocaloid, and 9 other winners will win a copy of Vocaloid5. All they have to do is post on nana with the tag "#ボカロオーディション " and they will be eligible to win. The winner will be announced on March 15, and recording will happen in Summer 2022 once the winner is chosen. Minors are allowed to enter if they have parental permission.

A new Vocaloid whose voice is decided by an audition open to anyone with a smartphone is probably the LAST thing I ever expected Yamaha to do...but here we are! :fukase_lili: It seems to be aimed at more casual Vocaloid music fans, given that it's on a music app that isn't known for Vocaloid and how the details page explains what Vocaloid is. Wish I could look at the tag but I'm too lazy to download another app :cry:

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
So Yamaha announced they're making a new Vocaloid....and choosing a voice provider via an open audition from February 15th-28th on a phone app called nana.
【2022年2月28日まで】歌って応募!ボカロになれるオーディション

The details page on Nana music explains that the Grand prix winner will get to record for a Vocaloid, and 9 other winners will win a copy of Vocaloid5. All they have to do is post on nana with the tag "#ボカロオーディション " and they will be eligible to win. The winner will be announced on March 15, and recording will happen in Summer 2022 once the winner is chosen. Minors are allowed to enter if they have parental permission.

A new Vocaloid whose voice is decided by an audition open to anyone with a smartphone is probably the LAST thing I ever expected Yamaha to do...but here we are! :fukase_lili: It seems to be aimed at more casual Vocaloid music fans, given that it's on a music app that isn't known for Vocaloid and how the details page explains what Vocaloid is. Wish I could look at the tag but I'm too lazy to download another app :cry:
Does it states if the vocaloid will release for public, or just the winner will privately own them?

Reactions: MillyAqualine

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Does it states if the vocaloid will release for public, or just the winner will privately own them?
It actually doesn't go into detail but the first part on the details page says something like "creators all over the world will be able to use your voice" so it will have some sort of public release. No public release would also mean way less excitement around the project since only a few people could use the product, and an open audition online needs as many people as it can get.

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
wHAT
I thought this was fanmade/a joke when i scrolled past this on Twitter and its oFFICIAL????? OK????????
Um, she sounds nice though! I'll say that much!

Uh... wow! Nice to see big studios at least somewhat recognizing vocal synth!

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
NFTs are trashy, but at this point so many individuals and companies are doing them that I've reached a stage where I've started turning a blind eye to such things. They're basically those multi-level marketing scams aimed at tech bros, and I'm now of the opinion that if you want to get involved in such a risky market, don't cry to everyone when you lose your investment.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Not at all surprised and called it too. One of their vtubers was doing them independently already, it was inevitable tbh, besides, they were one red flag after another from the beginning.

They won't be the last to do so too.

Exemplar

Veteran
May 17, 2018
Not at all surprised and called it too. One of their vtubers was doing them independently already, it was inevitable tbh, besides, they were one red flag after another from the beginning.

They won't be the last to do so too.
Yes and no. There is resistance to NFTs by many in the vtuber community. Merryweather a few weeks ago got threats from tech bros for making a comic that mocked NFTs. Ame from Hololive has a strong habit of mocking NFTs on stream.

Reactions: WyndReed

___

Oct 8, 2019
Yes and no. There is resistance to NFTs by many in the vtuber community. Merryweather a few weeks ago got threats from tech bros for making a comic that mocked NFTs. Ame from Hololive has a strong habit of mocking NFTs on stream.
I'm not talking about Vtubers, I'm talking about vocal synth companies, kamitsubaki studio just happens to overlap btween the two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)