• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

How to make your own Amidoll - English translation?

39dearMIKU

No Miku, no life.
Apr 8, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hi!
I am sure some of you guys have seen these cute self-made Mikus, called Ami Dolls (people make these for all kinds of characters, but I am intersted in Miku and her friends).
1575403974675.jpeg
For quite some time I have looked for a way to buy them, but it seems like a thing you really kinda have to make yourself I understand.
I have found an "official" instruction, step by step, with pictures. But it's all in Japanese!
So my question is: Can somebody translate this source?
Or maybe there already is a translation or other, English guide. I can't imagine this hasn't been asked by an English speaking fan so, maybe.
Thanks for the help!

Link to the Japanese instructions:

Reactions: cafenurse

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
These are called amigurumis. The website you linked to is called amidoll, because it's a pun on amigurumi/idol/dolls.

I used to be a huge fan of this hobby a few years ago and read blogs about them all the time (there used to only mainly be info on them in Japanese, but now there are a lot of YouTube videos in English on how to get started in the hobby). You have to have supplies to make them (such as yarn and crochet needles), and this is an advanced pattern. Realistically, you won't be able to make this right away without practicing on simpler patterns, because counting stitches is hard and things can quickly become wonky and not symmetrical.

The instructions on the website you linked to tell you specific brands/colors to get for yarn (ex: blue, grey, black), what size needle, the fact that you need scissors, felt, etc.

I found some videos with people making Miku amigurumis on both YouTube and Niconico Douga (just search "あみぐるみ 初音ミク") such as this one:

There are even English videos and instructions in English just by searching "Hatsune Miku amigurumi", like these instructions with photos.

Realistically, I could probably translate these specific instructions, but I don't really want to spend the time doing it if you might not be able to actually construct a Miku amigurumi. ^^; Maybe if you practiced on something easier like this and got back to me on it.

But lastly, there are actually quite a few Miku amigurumis already for sale and waiting for an owner, such as on Etsy, so you might not have to pick up the crochet needles any time soon if you decide to pay someone who has already made one.

39dearMIKU

No Miku, no life.
Apr 8, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Oh that's all great advise and input, thanks!!
I would highly HIGHLY appreciate if you could somehow translate the specific instructions I linked!
Yeah, I don't know how to make them but...Lol, my mom told me she could do it, but she needs instructions she can actually read :-D xd

___

Oct 8, 2019
This is lovely! I might pick up this hobby. Thank you for the translation uncreepy! Don't rush yourself! :kaito_move:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I don’t know much about Amigurumi dolls, but I know @Robyn Is A Ninja makes some! She may be able to give some goood tips on getting started with making them.

if you just want to buy one, try searching Etsy. I have seen a lot of Amigurumi commissions on there in the past, so I’m sure you couls find something

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I like the idea of making one myself, but the truth is I have zero ability in that. Last time I've stitched something was around 12 years ago at school (and the end result didn't turn out so well back then)

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Thank you so much for the translation Uncreepy, it was very kind of you! This doll is super cute. Perhaps I'll get help from my boyfriend mom, she loves to crochet and knit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)