• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV Medium⁵ Updates/Discussion Thread (Quadimension voices)

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I honestly don't see that happening, not to any major extent. With other synths, you can at least get them from a variety of places internationally; even the Vsingers are available through the Vocaloid website. The Medium⁵ girls aren't available outside of Taobao/mainland Chinese retailers, which require you to really know what you're doing just to be able to buy them.

Then again, the same is true of Xingchen, who still managed to gain popularity outside of China... I really do hope Quadimension's other vocals get the same attention, but given that they're for the still-new SynthV rather than the established and well-known Vocaloid, I don't see it happening, at least not any time soon.

___

Oct 8, 2019
What Peaches said, besides following voice-synth stuff is a pretty niche thing to do already, even for japanese voice-synths but they have easier time outside of Japan compared to vocals from other countries because they get casual fans/listeners from people who are just simply interested in japanese culture.

Mod Edit: Because posts related to a removed conversation were deleted, this post has simply been edited to remove parts of the removed conversation

Last edited by a moderator:

razelberii

Bless the Lord, O my Soul
Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
As shared in another thread, I think it may be worth sharing here. It's somewhat related to the current topic at hand

Our own @peaches2217 translated this one even! Good work on the translation! :sonika_ani_lili:

How it relates to the subject? One word: access. Things like translating and helping us experience these voice synths outside of Bilibili bring access to fans and help awareness spread.
Now, I can't guarantee or say that it would suddenly increase in the amount of fans significantly outside of China - would be cool, but that may be unrealistic.
But I think the biggest thing is simply that - access. Upon Luo Tianyi and Xin Hua receiving Japanese voicebanks, it seems the use of their voice in songs have increased more. Access outside of China (although Xin Hua already was a bit), and access to another language.
I think things like that, increasing access, will help spread awareness. But, I personally don't think they'll ever be more popular than they are in China now. Just as Japanese voicebanks are usually more popular in Japan than outside of it, at least based on observation.
I think which what peaches is saying as well, allowing easy access for those outside of China/who may not understand Chinese well could help spread awareness as well.

But do know these are only my thoughts. Haiyi sounds beautiful in the linked song, (if it has been posted here before, I apologize for redundancy!)
My apologies if I was also redundant in my post; some similar things have been said as well and I don't mean to copy, only looking to give my thoughts. It's a curious topic!

I don't think we need to make them popular, I think we can enjoy them how they are! It would be cool, of course, but we'll have to see what happens!
I'm still learning about them myself. Does anyone have a favorite among the 5?

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Does anyone have a favorite among the 5?
I've made no secret of my love for Haiyi. She's easily my favorite! The above song was what made me fall in love with her, which was what drove me to translate it. Honestly, I really love all of them. Their designs, voices, and concepts are just spectacular, and I really do hope they become big enough to rival certain Vocaloids.

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
Xingchen/Zero English is my favorite :D (I'msorryIreallywantedtomakethejoke... plus I have high hopes because Chalili's English is really good)

Of the ones that I can actually listen to right now I think Cangqiong is my favorite? I definitely like her design the most anyway. I have a soft spot for butterflies. It's hard to say for sure voice wise though because I haven't heard quite enough samples of all of them and the ones I've heard have all been good. Plus I don't feel completely comfortable trying to compare Xingchen to her sisters at the moment since she's still just on Vocaloid for now and Vocaloid, as good as the results can be, seems to tend to change the tone of a voice in ways that aren't necessarily favorable.

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
I have an idea: what would happen if we could create a Discord channel dedicated to the Medium⁵ sisters?

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
By the way, does Quadimension ship internationally? I read a post somewhere saying they do, but I wasn't sure. Would they ship from their Taobao site or would they have a different site to handle international orders?

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
By the way, does Quadimension ship internationally? I read a post somewhere saying they do, but I wasn't sure. Would they ship from their Taobao site or would they have a different site to handle international orders?
To the US, it seems to be the case. For other countries it's usually quite touch and go (in the UK I have to use an import service).

RE: Raising popularity of the Medium5 cast, it's very difficult to do something like that large scale unless you have an active team of people translating and providing subtitles for usually album-exclusive songs that come from Quadimension themselves. I actually tried to do this a bit by reuploading their demo songs to YouTube because Quadimension weren't doing it, which seemed to have got them to publish them officially, then they didn't for Haiyi. SynthV itself already isn't well known, so there's a lot of explaining to do for people who are just getting into them, especially on why CQ/HY have voicebanks from before SynthV and why they sound so different. In the end I think a lot of the onus for now is on Quadimension to repost their Bilibili content to YouTube at the bare minimum so that people at least know they exist.

My personal ranking goes like... Cangqiong = Chiyu > Haiyi = Xingchen > Shian, but I like them all pretty equally. Has anyone published any work using all 5 of them? I've used all 4 SynthV girls before but I'm waiting for Xingchen's SynthV VB.

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
Has anyone published any work using all 5 of them? I've used all 4 SynthV girls before but I'm waiting for Xingchen's SynthV VB.
Well, there's IrunaBara who, just like you, owns all 4 of Quadimension voicebanks for SynthesizerV and waiting for getting Xingchen's voicebank for SynthesizerV because he doesn't want to get Xingchen's Vocaloid4 voicebank In which he believes that is an inferior version.

Last edited:

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Honestly Xingchen's VOCALOID voicebank isn't all that bad, it's just she sounds really awkward when paired with the other 4 since they're SynthV VBs. Just hoping that her English/Chinese SynthV VBs will be released soon.

Speaking of which, I feel like if they push Xingchen English, that might be the best way to raise their profile among western fans right now. I'm almost certain she would get a decent amount of usage no matter what.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Xingchen English will absolutely make their popularity take off, at least to some extent. Not to mention it'll be our first Chinese to English synth (to the best of my knowledge), which will also gain it notoriety! I really hope it happens, with that in mind.

Reactions: xuu and Wario94

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
...just to make sure I'm getting it right, isn't Canqiong's name pronounced "tsan-chyong"? That's how Pleco and Google Translate pronounce it. Forgive me, I'm still really new to Chinese pronunciation. I keep wanting to call her "kang-chong".:yohioloid_lili:

Reactions: Leon

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
...just to make sure I'm getting it right, isn't Canqiong's name pronounced "tsan-chyong"? That's how Pleco and Google Translate pronounce it. Forgive me, I'm still really new to Chinese pronunciation. I keep wanting to call her "kang-chong".:yohioloid_lili:
I'd say that's a "good enough" approximation of the prounciation. Just try to remember that pinyin doesn't equate to the sound of English letters (think of the English letters in pinyin as representations for Chinese sounds, kind of like how you can see ❤ and read it as "heart" when you see it). Since you are going to be using Haiyi soon, maybe you should familiarize yourself with IPA if you haven't so you can truly know how similar Mandarin and English are.
(click specific IPA letters to get taken to an article showing which languages use it, there are charts for every language)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)