• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Mew - An Uncooperative Screw and the Rain | Cover

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
so like I really love how this cover turned out so Imma share it! First time actually finishing something from a ust too so I'm jazzed about that! Any like constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

AALLF

I create symphonic metal/rock using Gumi.
May 20, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
Nice song, thank you for sharing. I really like the tone of this Vocaloid. For constructive criticism, might I suggest the vocal level be set a little higher? Of course, I don't know how you went about mixing the cover. It might not be as easy as that. Vocal levels are certainly tricky, especially with a lot going on, such as this song. I'm still working on that aspect, too.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Yeah that seems to be common thing about this it sounded fine to me but I also can't use headphones properly so I do have issues getting it proper thank you! :)

Reactions: AALLF

AALLF

May 20, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
Oh, ok. One thing you could try that might help (if you're not doing so already), is use a reference track. Since this is a cover, you could use the original track to help you get in the ballpark as far as the vocal level. But if you are already doing that, please disregard.

Reactions: Maribelle

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Okie I tried to mix it again is it any better now? :) I also tried to use your idea of the original in the editor at the same time and I think it helped?

Last edited:

AALLF

May 20, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
Hey, thanks for taking my advice. The vocal is definitely more prominent now, but the instrumental might have lost some of its impact in the process. I hope I can help you some more, if you'd like?

Are you using a DAW to mix the instrumental and vocal together? Or are you doing it in the Vocaloid program?
Are you using any eq/processing on the instrumental at all, or just the vocals?

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Yee! I am using the vocaloid 5 program and I didn't eq or process the instrumental at all :x

AALLF

May 20, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
Ok. I'm on Vocaloid 3 and I always just export the voice and mix everything in Reason (my DAW of choice). I don't have much experience using the EQ or Compressor in Vocaloid 3, but that shouldn't matter too much.

Hmm...let me see if I can find the original track on youtube. Is this it - Here?

I just listened to your youtube video again, and compared it to the original.

Unless I'm going crazy, the instrumentals are different. It's like it has been mixed again, with more stereo width in the drums. Your instrumental definitely is of better quality.

Ok, it's going to be somewhat difficult to walk you through, but hopefully I can get you closer. The first thing that sticks out to me is there is more presence (2k-4k) in the vocals on the original compared to yours. Try using a somewhat broad eq boost (lets try 3dbs worth) centered about 2.5k on your vocals. You will now notice that you can lower the overall level of the vocal track in relation to the instrumental, while still being audible. Its going to be a delicate balancing act: eq boost compared to overall level.

Now, you can choose to compress after, or before the EQ. I would suggest compressing before for now. Then add the presence boost after. You can always eq first, compress second, then eq after again, if the compressor flattens your EQ changes too much. But maybe lets keep it simple for now.

There's so much information to talk about on this subject and I don't want to overwhelm you.

Just to summarize my suggestions:

1. Compressor
2. Somewhat broad eq boost (lets try 3dbs worth) centered about 2.5k on your vocals
3. Lower level of vocal if necessary.

I hope this advice helps you in any way. Feel free to play around with that. My ears aren't too sharp right now (I'm really out of mixing practice).

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
O.O okay umm is the eq you talking about the snake one where you can move nobs and like make the line move around or is it something else? :x i appreciate all of the advice tho!

AALLF

May 20, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
:LOL: I may have overdone it, my apologies. Also, I might have some bad news. I could have sworn there was a native EQ plugin in Vocaloid, but I can't find it anywhere. All I see is the compressor and reverb plugins. Of course, I'm on Vocaloid 3. I'm sorry about that.

Does the plugin say EQ or Equalizer anywhere? Do you see grid lines that are marked with Hz (like 80 Hz, 1.3kHz, 5.1kHz, etc.) ?

Sorry I can't be of more help. I always just export the voice and do all the processing in my DAW.

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Yeah it does have the grid! :) and four points with which I can mess with if thata helps at all! and it's just labeled an equalizer

AALLF

May 20, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
Oh, good. I was afraid I was wasting your time :LOL: .

Just use one of the parametric EQ dots (not the shelf EQ). When you raise or lower the dot, it should look like a bell.

Put the dot at about 2.5 kHZ (or 2,500 HZ) on the vocal track. Raise the bell there to taste. Rebalance the levels between the vocal and instrumental to taste.

I hope that helps you out.

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Thank you both and it wasn't a waste of time at all I learned more about equalizing so it was a won! :) Also feel I should have prefaced with the fact that I don't really confine myself into matching the original when I tune and mix things X.x So for this song I didn't like the original vocals so I tuned and mixed Mew to be softer on purpose but I didn't know if I went too far! :)

AALLF

May 20, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
Awesome, I'm glad I didn't send you down a rabbit hole with my advice :giggle:. I think your instincts are good. I like to use GUMI for similar reasons (warm, mellow, softer, more natural tone). Good luck in your next cover!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)