• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other The VOCALOID Collection

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
It's vocal synth statistics time yaay!

Here's the most used vocalists from 2024's first Vocacolle:

1. Hatsune Miku, as always (1917) =
2. Kasane Teto (536) ^1
3. Kafu (452) v1
4. Chis-A (204) ^2
5. Flower (168) v1
6. Kagamine Rin (154) v1
7. Gumi (155) ^2
8. Hanakuma Chifuyu (150) =
9. IA (130) ^2
10. Natsuki Karin (108) ^2
11. Mai (108) ^2
12. Kaai Yuki (89) (New entry)
13. Kagamine Len (88) v6
14. Sekai (82) =
15. Koharu Rikka (80) v5

Engine representation in the top 15 (including voices on multiple engines, may not reflect popularity):
VOCALOID: 8
Synthesizer V: 6
CeVIO: 5
UTAU: 1
NT: 1

Miku sweep as usual, with over triple the songs of her closest competition. It may be notable that she's the only native Vocaloid out of the top 4, further showing how diversified vocal synth engines have become.

Kafu dethroned, it's Teto time now. They're both notably popular, with over double 4th place's numbers. I wonder if Kafu's upcoming SynthV will shift things?

Chis-A has overtaken Flower: at last, the padawan has become the master. Gumi is also on the rise, we'll get a better idea of how impactful her SynthV was next time.

Last edited:

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Sad Megurine Luka noises.
Despondent Meiko noises.

I get the impression Luka has been dethroned as a popular bank within the Japanese scene because her gimmick (bilingual VB) is now pretty much a standard for vocal synths in general, unless you're aiming for a specific market (I.e. Japanese-only bank for a Japanese audience). And if it's an AI bank on a program like SynthV or V6, then you have cross-lang as an automatic feature, which takes out both the need to record multiple VBs in different languages and most of the work of manually editing the VB to sound right in a certain language. I don't think the EVEC gimmick in Luka V4 helped her much in the long run either, considered how a lot of people thought the end result of that was subpar compared to what traditional Append banks might have sounded like.

Meanwhile, Meiko never seems to get any love unless her anniversary rolls around. Tbh, I'm surprised Kaito even has figures in the double digits.

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Vocacolle is usually twice a year!

-

It's definitely interesting how some of the Great Eight have remained relevant, whereas others like Meiko have really plummeted (her Vocacolle originals were in the single digits). We often talk about Crypton's software stagnation in terms of Miku, but I think it's affected their other products more.

In my opinion, the reason why Luka, Kaito, Meiko and Gackpo are no longer as mainstream boils down to the same few factors: they're over a decade old without much of a price drop to match, and their voicetypes now have cheaper, more versatile, easier-to-use competitors on more modern engines. Those voicetypes themselves are both quite common and not super sort after by Japanese producers.

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say people who would have once chosen those voices are now using:

Luka -> Split off between IA/Chifuyu/any number of mature soft letter voices
Kaito -> Lost his casual users to Ryo, retained hardcore Kaito fans
Meiko -> Chis-A for her rough but mature timbre. Mai for people who just wanted 'normal woman singing'.
Gackpo -> Similar situation to Kaito, compounded by the fact I think his audience was being threatened by VY2 before we even got here

Miku and the Kagamines are too iconic to the software to fall from grace, Rin is also a distinct variant of Japan's popular 'cute but strong' timbre. And if people already own Rin, then they might as well use Len when they need a male voice. Gumi subsists on technical merit as a highly versatile product updated for multiple platforms.

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
This sort of is/isn't relevant, but the original I posted uses Luka and Gumi (as well as Ruby) as backup chorals. But I can't imagine the rankings have any way of knowing that, since they aren't in the tags. (You can only put so many tags on a video. Though, TBF, I'm still figuring out what the best tags should be. A synth's software terms figure into how their name is/isn't represented while posting, too, though that isn't relevant here.)

Point being, these vocals may get usage that doesn't show up in the rankings. Not that that likely changes the overall landscape, but still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)