• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other The VOCALOID Collection

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
We have Vocacolle stats again for Summer 2023!

I was curious about whether Teto would impact Japanese producers, I saw a great deal of excitement for her from nostalgic English-speakers, but I wasn't sure if that success would translate to her core market. Based on this chart, it definitely has. There are a few other small changes as well - people buying SynthV for Teto naturally gave Mai a little boost too.

Source

Summer 2023

The most used vocal synths of Vocacolle, translated:
1. Hatsune Miku, as always
2. Kafu
3. Kasane Teto
4. Flower
5. Kagamine Rin
6. Chis-A
7. Kagamine Len
8. Hanakuma Chifuyu
9. Gumi
10. Koharu Rikka
11. IA
12. Natsuki Karin
13. Mai
14. Sekai
15. Rime

Note that due to the sample size there isn't a huge difference (if any) between say, Flower and Len, or Gumi and Karin. So I would treat most of those below the top 3 as in no particular order.

SynthV seems to have made rapid gains in Japan, Vocaloid is still definitely the most popular, and it's fun seeing the top 3 now represent the 3 main engines.

Last edited:

Vector

Passionate Fan
Mar 6, 2022
It looks like there's another NND VocaColle-format contest coming up soon, affiliated with Crypton for Miku's 16th anniversary. Same sort of submission period and ranking, with a chance of a song being in Project Sekai.

I'm having trouble deciphering the premise and rules with translation software though. Something about MVs consisting of one picture, and a list of guidelines that I can't tell if they are meant to be suggestions or things that are disallowed.

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
these are the official rules ^-^

Participation rules
About posting
Please post your song on NicoNico Douga as an MV using only one picture.

About participation in rankings
  • Please join us with an original song that you created and posted on Nico Nico Douga for the first time.
  • There is no problem even if the work you submit partially matches your own original music that you have posted in the past.
  • Works created jointly can also be submitted.
  • Participating works must be based on synthetic voice software.
  • Please submit the "synthetic speech software" that you must use, either "Hatsune Miku" alone, or Hatsune Miku + another synthetic speech software.
  • There are no restrictions on the "synthetic voice software" that can be used with Hatsune Miku. This applies to all synthesized voice software such as VOCALOID, UTAU, CeVIO, VOICEROID, NEUTRINO, SynthesizerV, Hatsune Miku NT , etc.
  • It is okay to include singing voices, harmonies, recitations, etc. other than synthesized voice software.
About video production
  • Any illustrations or images can be included in the video.
  • Please create a simple video
  • Performances that fall under the following are not allowed
  • Character animation (kinetic typography)
  • Move backgrounds and illustrations
  • Use of illustration differences (*expression differences, etc.)
  • Moving the angle of view/moving the line of sight camera
  • Fade-in and fade-out screen transitions to display logos, titles, and credits
  • The background color changes when effects, text, etc. overlap the background.
  • Illustration color change effect
Regarding exclusion from aggregation
  • If the participating work is found to be an exact match to a work previously posted and published on Niconico Douga.
  • If you did not participate in the creation of the participating work and it turns out that it was created by someone else.
  • If a song is ineligible due to management decision
  • If it is after 17:00:00 on Sunday, December 10, 2023 (Please submit by 16:59:59.)
  • A work that only changes the mix/mastering of an existing song
  • If the post remains as a draft
  • Other works that are excluded from the project based on the management's judgment, such as in the case of violation of terms and conditions.

Suggestions and requests from management
  • When uploading a video, open the options and set "Permission settings" to "Allow" introduction by "Niconico Live Broadcast".
  • Before posting or downloading data, please read the terms carefully and agree to the terms before posting.
Single picture video submission festival - Video examples suitable for regulations

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
It looks like there's another NND VocaColle-format contest coming up soon, affiliated with Crypton for Miku's 16th anniversary. Same sort of submission period and ranking, with a chance of a song being in Project Sekai.

I'm having trouble deciphering the premise and rules with translation software though. Something about MVs consisting of one picture, and a list of guidelines that I can't tell if they are meant to be suggestions or things that are disallowed.

I'm going to participate in this! Just have to test out that the video/audio get uploaded to Nico Nico properly, and to get a feel for how tagging works.

This seems like a good guide to using NND: Nicovideo

When I search for myself on NND, I don't come up. Can you not search for users by username, or maybe do you need to actually have videos to show up? (If it's not one of those, I might need to change some other setting....)

Update: I was able to upload a test video, and it does look like you need to have a video in order to appear in the search results. Either that, or it worked because my name is in the video description.

I had a similar issue to @Vector: I applied my tags when uploading in Japanese mode, and they ended up not coming through at all in either mode. The test video didn't show up when searching, either. So I had to add the tags afterwards in both Japanese and English modes, as well as lock them.

There's an option to set a creative license, I think for in case others want to base derivative works off of yours. What is the default value for that (i.e., if you don't specify anything)? I'm assuming it's basically that your work remains yours, and people who want to use it would need to ask you?

Last edited:
Reactions: WyndReed

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
Specifying no license is the same as uploading with no license to any other platform. Subject to the terms of use but does not enter any “Creative Commons” or public domain.

Also, the English mode has officially been discontinued. It doesn’t “exist” anymore. The reason it is still visible in the footer is unknown. Please use the Japanese version of the site.

I’ve never had issues with tagging on the Japanese version of the site, so not 100% sure what is going on there.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Specifying no license is the same as uploading with no license to any other platform. Subject to the terms of use but does not enter any “Creative Commons” or public domain.

Also, the English mode has officially been discontinued. It doesn’t “exist” anymore. The reason it is still visible in the footer is unknown. Please use the Japanese version of the site.

I’ve never had issues with tagging on the Japanese version of the site, so not 100% sure what is going on there.
Thanks!

Too bad about the English version. Friendly word of warning to English users: I could swear the site was automatically detecting which language to use when I was there; I had to set it to Japanese manually. Not sure if it knew where my computer was, or if it was based on my use of machine translation. Anyway, since the tags were still separate between languages, if you don't continue to set them for both languages until the English side completely disappears, English users might not see your videos if you only tag them in Japanese.

At least that's how it seemed to me.

Reactions: WyndReed

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Update: Actually, the site is probably setting my language based on either a language setting I chose, or the fact that my account is an "overseas" one.

That makes me think of a question:
Am I correct in assuming that the times for the event are in JST, or would it compensate for your home time zone? (In which case, you COULD accidentally upload a few hours too early/late and get disqualified.)

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@MagicalMiku: I have a question about this point:
  • Please submit the "synthetic speech software" that you must use, either "Hatsune Miku" alone, or Hatsune Miku + another synthetic speech software.
Does this mean that the names of the singing synths you use should be written/listed somewhere on your submission? Or is it just saying that you should use Miku and possibly other singing synths?

Reactions: MagicalMiku

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
@MagicalMiku: I have a question about this point:

Does this mean that the names of the singing synths you use should be written/listed somewhere on your submission? Or is it just saying that you should use Miku and possibly other singing synths?
mm basically the rule is about the song: the main singer must be Miku, but there can be additional virtual singers too, and in any case please write in the tags, for example 初音ミク, VOCALOID, UTAU、CeVIO , etc..
if you use Miku NT, it is okay to write in the tags both 初音ミク and 初音ミクNT (I recommend to always set the site in japanese from the bottom left menu, and I also recommend to write the singer in the title video too) :miku_lili: :miku_lili:
from the updated guide:
Can I use any voice synthesis software (VOICEVOX, Softalk, etc.) to participate?Answer:
Please be sure to submit the "synthetic speech software" you use as either "Hatsune Miku" alone, or Hatsune Miku + another synthetic speech software.
There are no restrictions on the "synthetic voice software" that can be used with Hatsune Miku. This applies to all synthetic voice software such as VOCALOID, UTAU, CeVIO, VOICEROID, NEUTRINO, and SynthesizerV.
  • Are there any restrictions on MV?Answer:
    We will set the following rules regarding music videos.
    • Any illustrations or images can be included in the video.
    • Please create a simple video
    • Performances that fall under the following are not allowed
      • Character animation (kinetic typography)
      • Move backgrounds and illustrations
      • Use of illustration differences (*expression differences, etc.)
      • Moving the angle of view/moving the line of sight camera
      • Fade-in and fade-out screen transitions to display logos, titles, and credits
      • The background color changes when effects, text, etc. overlap the background.
      • Illustration color change effect
  • question:Kinetic typography is prohibited, but is it also prohibited to simply fade in and fade out letters?Answer:
    Fade-in/fade-out for switching lyrics and titles is no problem.
  • question:How elaborate should the production of the video be?Answer:
    Since this is a submission festival where a single illustration and music are the main characters, please keep the video simple and display the basic lyrics without excessive production.
When posting, please set the following items on the posting page.

Genre ジャンル
music/sound 音楽・サウンド
tag 1枚絵動画投稿祭
Single picture video submission festival
*Please lock your tag.
( See how to use tag lock )
Recommended: Adding the tag "Singing and dancing collection OK" 「歌踊コレOK」 will make it easier for your work to be created as a secondary creation.
as for the time limit submission, it is japanese time ^-^
posting period
December 8, 2023 0:00 - December 10th 17:00

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@MagicalMiku: Thank you!
if you use Miku NT, it is okay to write in the tags both 初音ミク and 初音ミクNT (I recommend to always set the site in japanese from the bottom left menu, and I also recommend to write the singer in the title video too)
For the original Vocaloid VBs, aren't we prohibited from including the synth's name in the name of non-commercial songs? (For NT, though, the guidance was to include the name, if I remember correctly.)

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
you're very welcome! ^u^
mm..as written in the guide, I think is enough to put in the tag VOCALOID, UTAU, CeVIO, VOICEROID, NEUTRINO, and SynthesizerV . If you are unsure about some of the tags or what to write in the video description, I recommend to wait a little after the starting posting period and see some of the uploaded videos ^-^
the most important thing is:
Genre ジャンル
music/sound 音楽・サウンド
tag 1枚絵動画投稿祭
*Please lock your tag.
Recommended: Adding the tag "Singing and dancing collection OK" 「歌踊コレOK」 will make it easier for your work to be created as a secondary creation.
:miku_ani_lili::meiko_ani_lili::seeu_ani_lili::haiyi_ani_lili:

• Love
Reactions: nene and mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@MagicalMiku: I've been wondering about this part also. It's one of the tags, isn't it? Why is it recommended to add this tag? Does adding it to the video indicate that it's ok for other Nico Nico users to create derivative works (e.g., covers) based on it?

Last edited:

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
@MagicalMiku: I've been wondering about this part also. It's one of the tags, isn't it? Why is it recommended to add this tag? Does adding it to the video indicate that it's ok for other Nico Nico users to create derivative works (e.g., covers) based on it?
correct! ^-^ and as written in the guide, that tag can help with the ranking of the video itself:
The scores for each ranking are calculated based on the number of views, comments, mylists, and likes, just like Nico Nico Douga's rankings.
The aggregation formula is not made public as this mechanism may be misused.
when you apply to this contest, you confirm that you own the rights of the song, but you also agree to the contest terms of use:
(a bit long, but useful to read ^^)
3. License of this content

The handling of this content is subject to the " Niconico Terms ". By submitting the Content to this project, the applicant will be able to sublicense the Content worldwide, non-exclusively, permanently, and free of charge to the Company or a third party designated by the Company. and shall grant a transferable license.

Applicants shall not exercise their moral rights against the Company or any third party designated by the Company. The Company may, at its discretion, adapt or modify the Content (including, but not limited to, cutting, resizing, sampling, encoding, and other editing actions to the extent necessary for the contents of this project and its promotion). Applicants must acknowledge these in advance before applying.

Applicants represent and warrant that they have the necessary rights to grant the above license with respect to the Content. Applicants agree that the license will remain in effect even if the Content is deleted or used, or the Applicant's NicoNico account is deleted.

Notwithstanding the provisions of the preceding paragraph, the Niconico Terms and Conditions shall take precedence over the ownership of copyright regarding text written by users on Niconico.

In addition to being used for the purpose of implementing this project, the submitted content will be posted on each service/company's official website, for promotion of this project, "niconico", our company (including sponsors, etc.), etc. It will be used free of charge on our official SNS and other various media designated by our company (including media operated by third parties designated by our company).

Please note that in such use, the applicant's user name may also be displayed. However, it is not limited to these uses.

For use in the promotions mentioned above, our company will arbitrarily select the submitted works. Depending on the media used for promotion, we may contact the account of the selected applicant for this content by direct mail (or registered email address) as necessary.

Inquiries regarding the use of promotions mentioned above will be accepted by our company, except for cases that should be handled individually by the operators of each advertising medium.

Applicants who have been selected to receive a prize may not transfer, refund, exchange for cash, or resell the prize.

All matters not mentioned in the special notes section below will be handled in accordance with the provisions of this section.

• Love

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Hm, a sublicense.... I haven't seen anything about this on the site or in the terms, but I assume it's still ok to post your entry in other places at the same time, right? (For example, embed the submitted Nico Nico video here on VVN during the contest, or even upload it to SoundCloud eventually.)

Actually, if it's a sublicense, I'd expect that the original creator could still do pretty much anything they want with their submission--they're just guaranteeing Nico Nico/etc. the ability to do anything they want with the submission also.

Last edited:

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
yes yes ^-^ it's still ok, as long as the first upload of the video song is on NicoNico during the period :sonika_ani_lili:
from the updated guide:
  • Is it okay to publish songs that participated in the One Picture Video Submission Festival on X or another submission site?Answer:
    Yes, there is no problem.
  • question:Can I participate with a video that I posted on another posting site or somewhere in the past?Answer:
    You can participate if your song is posted on Nico Nico Douga for the first time.
  • question:Is it okay to post multiple videos by myself?Answer:
    Yes, there is no problem.
terms (section 2)

2. Conditions of this content
This content must be created by the applicant, for which the applicant owns the rights, or that the applicant has obtained the consent of all rights holders for its use. Please note that communications and negotiations regarding usage permission, etc. between applicants shall be conducted directly by the applicant with the other party, and the Company will not be involved in any way.

Applicants must protect the Company from all legal rights held by third parties regarding the Content (including intellectual property rights such as copyrights, trademark rights, design rights, publicity rights, portrait rights, and privacy rights). (hereinafter the same shall apply).

After you apply for this project, regardless of whether you win a prize, pass the selection, or rank, this content will be posted on the official website of "Hatsune Miku 16th Anniversary One-Panel Video Submission Festival" and the general TOP page of "Niconico" , and may be posted on related special sites, etc., and may be used for other purposes as specified in the next section.

Content that falls under any of the following will not be eligible for publication or use.

In addition, if it is found that the content is not eligible after being posted and used, the content may be deleted and used, the application may be invalidated, and participation may be canceled.

• Items that do not comply with these Terms
  • Items that do not comply with the “ Niconico Terms ” and “ Niconico Video Posting Terms ”
  • Items that are judged to deviate from the recruitment theme of this project
  • Items that infringe on third party rights such as copyright, trademark rights, other intellectual property rights, honor, credibility, portraiture, privacy, etc.
  • Something that violates public order and morals
  • Other items that our company deems inappropriate.

Last edited:
  • Love

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
Among some fans of niconico, it’s considered best practice to wait until the contest is over to publish on other platforms to attract interested parties to niconico and encourage them to get involved. I personally think this is a good sentiment, but it’s not a requirement.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Hm, I can understand that. I think it makes sense not to host the video on external sites (e.g., YouTube, SoundCloud) during the event period.

At the same time, this thread was the first time I'd encountered these sorts of events. (Though I may live under a rock....) I would think a Nico Nico embed with a link back to the event would be beneficial for awareness. Though that thinking may only be applicable in places where awareness isn't very high to begin with.

Mm, it's probably most in line with the spirit of the event to post on NND and leave it exclusively at that until the event has concluded.

Last edited:

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Apr 8, 2018
???, New York
I just realized that the reason why my YouTube feed/recomendations suddenly explodes with a lot of new vocaloid tracks every so often is VocaColle. A lot of people must only post to NicoNico and then post the videos to YouTube immediately once the season is over. (I’m sorry, this isn’t directly related to what you guys were talking about)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)