- Sep 10, 2020
What is VocaColle? Hosted by DWANGO (parent company of niconico douga), it's the bi-yearly VOCALOID/voice synth community internet festival that invites everyone involved in the scene to both create and enjoy all works associated with VOCALOID and the characters associated with those works.
The most notable component of VocaColle is the rankings board that pulls videos from niconico, accounting exclusively for videos which are published during the specified "open period" for that VocaColle.
Why is VocaColle great? It's a regularly-scheduled, organized effort that encourages everyone to get involved, whether you create original or derivative works, or just like to enjoy what is made. Overall, it's just the best time to get excited about the creative spirit of our community and it is the corporate event/entity that is most in-tune and focused on what everyday creators are excited and passionate about. It also generates an incredible amount of attention for music published during the festival and has ways of pushing lesser-known producers forward.
What to look out for at VocaColle:
- Rankings Boards
- Top100 -- Top 100 songs released during the festival overall
- VocaSeka is a special contest that adds the top song from Top100 and Rookie to the game. The winners also get 50000yen on Amazon.
- Rookie -- Top 100 songs from vocaloid producers that have made their debut within the last two years
- "I tried to perform it" -- Top 30 performances of vocaloid songs. Usually they're band arrangements or instrument covers, but there are exceptions.
- MMD&3DCG -- Top 30 3DCG videos.
- Open domain illustration initiative (Picture List)
- There are also separate "I tried to dance" and "I tried to sing" festivals with rankings for those communities that overlap with VocaColle.
- Stem Data
- Every VocaColle comes with tons of stem data published for different famous songs from the producers. Learn their secrets! Sample them! But the downloads expire when that festival ends, so make sure you grab them when you want them!
- Novel Contest
- VocaColle always partners with a company to hold a novel contest that ends in a collaboration with a famous vocalo-p.
- Billboard Rankings
- Billboard JAPAN's Vocaloid rankings are the result of collaboration with VocaColle/Dwango/niconico.
- The MTV Daisy Bell award is also derived.
- VocaColle App
- The NicoBox app was rebranded to VocaColle (the userbase was all vocaloid fans in the end) and can be used to stream music from Niconico rankings and VocaColle rankings.
- Every VocaColle has special prize awards that are selected by judges.
Previous VocaColle archives: