• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Admittedly I generally don't think JP - > Eng sounds good anyway, barring certain talented cases. It just doesn't sound natural

Reactions: Leon
Sep 21, 2019
After listening more to him....Ritsu just...doesnt sound...good. I dont know how else to describe his voice but derpy and silly sounding and his kire/power vocie is grating.
Overall, I kinda agree. I just can't see the hype, especially when there are so many other UTAU available. Maybe back in UTAU's earlier days when there weren't as many and one couldn't really make much of a comparison, but I just... I'm picky about the way Ritsu is tuned...

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I feel like he was the go-to Powerful UTAU bank aside from Teto back when UTAU didn’t have a whole lot of well-produced options. But there’s an absolute abundance of excellent banks now, banks that are far more expressive and powerful than Ritsu. So I’ve gotta agree. I don’t necessarily dislike him, I’ve just never cared for him.

Sep 21, 2019
I don't think saying a voice is "unoriginal" is a very good criticism, especially if that's all that is said about a voice when critiquing. It doesn't really help the person who made the voice improve in anyway, especially if they're not given guidance on what makes the voice unoriginal and how to fix it. Also, unoriginal =/= bad.

Also, I think people need to calm down a little bit in terms of critiquing others. Not everything needs to be criticized, and some people are just looking to have fun and aren't looking to improve. (Though, I myself love being given constructive criticism, and I think it's kinda sweet when people are trying really hard to make it obvious that they're trying to be constructive by praising you a whole lot before and after critiquing.)

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I can take it a step farther and say I don't think any of the "VIPPERLOIDS" sound good.
Ritsu sounds...forced and grating, as mentioned earlier.
Teto has a ridiculous voice I can't take seriously.
Tei sounds stringy and pinched.
Ruko....ok i forget what Ruko sounds like but I didn't like them enough to listen again.

Reactions: TheStarPalace
Sep 21, 2019
Unpopular opinion: Scott and Erusalem best vipperloids!
Huh. I always forget about those two since I don't see much of them. Do you know any good usages of them? :O
--
Also, unpopular opinion to keep things on topic, Teto is neither the best UTAUloid nor the best vipperloid, but she's still an excellent vocal and I still love her and also use her too much. (That's an unpopular opinion, right?)

Last edited:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Oh, tbh I don't know about other people, but I actually think Teto has one of the most unique and pleasant voices out there. People whine about how V3 girls' voices were too samey and easy to mistake for one another, but Teto's voice is very thoroughly "her", and I enjoy it a lot. But I'm not sure this is unpopular,,

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Huh. I always forget about those two since I don't see much of them. Do you know any good usages of them? :O
--
Also, unpopular opinion to keep things on topic, Teto is neither the best UTAUloid nor the best vipperloid, but she's still an excellent vocal. (That's an unpopular opinion, right?)
Most of the UTAUs I like I like from using them myself, bit I never posted anything with Erusalem :P

Here's my favorite Scott usages!

• Love
Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
Sep 21, 2019
Oh, tbh I don't know about other people, but I actually think Teto has one of the most unique and pleasant voices out there. People whine about how V3 girls' voices were too samey and easy to mistake for one another, but Teto's voice is very thoroughly "her", and I enjoy it a lot. But I'm not sure this is unpopular,,
It's hard to tell if that's an unpopular opinion, because I encounter just as many people who love Teto's voice as people who don't like her voice. I strongly agree with you, though! Teto has a unique voice and I especially love her high notes in her Sakebi bank; they're amazing.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
It's hard to tell if that's an unpopular opinion, because I encounter just as many people who love Teto's voice as people who don't like her voice. I strongly agree with you, though! Teto has a unique voice and I especially love her high notes in her Sakebi bank; they're amazing.
Honestly, I don't think liking/disliking/being neutral on Teto's voice is particularly unpopular; I see a fair amount of all three views.
It's like, the definition of Narm for me (is that a word used outside tvtropes?)

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
A little too late to the party here but whatever, I’m here to share my thoughts on UTAUs

-I “kinda” like Namine Ritsu’s design, but the voice...no, I don’t like it
-I like the broken sounding voices. There’s just something soothing about a voice that sounds utterly broken, and I don’t know if others share the same opinion
-I...don’t get the point of Ruko. The dual voices don’t make sense; I can understand an UTAU or Vocaloid sounding different after an update but the voice doesn’t change a lot (with the exception of Macne Nana, because her original bank sounds MUCH different than her 2S and Vocaloid banks)

Reactions: ThatGirlMyra

___

Oct 8, 2019
I...don’t get the point of Ruko. The dual voices don’t make sense
Their point is to troll people by being a distasteful caricature 😅 dual vocie is part of the shtick/caricature.

With that being said, my unpopular opinion is that Ruko's feminine voice sounds good too, I prefer the masculine voice as well and there are other arguably better female utaus but I hear nothing wrong with their feminine voice, I don't really see what's so bad about it.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
(with the exception of Macne Nana, because her original bank sounds MUCH different than her 2S and Vocaloid banks)
You might already know this, but I'll throw it out there anyway for anyone who doesn't:

Nana's original bank was designed to be used in Garageband, which made the samples sound more high pitched. When people imported her into UTAU, the original dev released 2S (and later Vocaloid) to make Nana sound more like she was intended.

I just think this is an interesting tidbit!

Here's one that will offend like... a third of the fandom.

Teto is o v e r r a t e d. She's not bad. Not at all. But compared to Ghata Meiji or Neko Kanochi, she's really lacking.

And her fans scare me a bit.

Edit: scrolled up just to see someone already started a discussion kind of like this. Sorry about that.

Edit #2: I like her growl, though. But her voice overall just realistically can't compete with some other UTAUs.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
Coming from someone who actually owns and uses them, Kagamine ACT1 isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. Are they kinda choppy? Yeah. Are they completely broken and require god levels of skill to fix? No. They're really not that difficult to use and just require small fixes to bring out their best. I don't see what's so bad about them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)